Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    That's a bit personal!

Blimey I started on £92k and thats towards a 2 bed house.

Whats being personal between friends:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Please PM me a linky too Z.
    Ms Nosey :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I have a few little solar bits and gadgets, but no big system, which is ridiculous of me :o

Why is that ridiculous? Solar of whichever flavour is not for all situations and not for all people. It has to be a case by case basis every time. Where it isn't and where it's done for the purposes of virtue signalling, we end up with the train wreck that is South Australia. Even the whole country of Australia is barrelling on into the wreckage with brake failure. Maybe they'll get lucky this summer, but Turnbull has got to be looking down the barrel of unemployment, as a lot of Australians are if they can't get reliable power.
    and I'd not even heard the term "thermosolar collector" :o

You must have seen those solar showers before surely? The fact I'm on oil makes it more worthwhile than if I were on mains gas. Which it should do. If a system which has the economy of scale of the gas network can't compete with a householder's system, then there is something (probably a lot of things) very sadly wrong.
    When these next building works are done, but before the replastering, I'll find out :)

But do the maths. This is your money remember, and *everyone* who howls about the greenness is howling with other people's money.
    He's wonderful! I love that guy :)

Although he's a clown (in the literal sense like Harold Lloyd and others) he's very knowledgable. His stock in trade is to take electrical item and make them dance with higher and higher voltages. I like this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ffg6QUDwM
    The UK is full of ingenious people like this. I'll definitely be giving some thought to this, I have backup for cooking in the event of a powercut (camping stoves!) but not much else.

It depends what you have now, and what you want in the event of a power cut. Don't make assumptions about what will be available. Would you have water in a prolonged power cut for example?

Remember, he did the calculations for solar and it was not for him.
    Yep, we can only do so much. OTOH, I'd have expected you to invent a machine that could stretch a minute to become an hour, so that you could do what you needed to do :D

It would just mean I'd sleep a month instead of a day alas...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess I feel ridiculous because I can't keep the tech details in my head long enough to make a decision about what to do - I want a solar system, but I've got a block of some kind about the techie stuff. Sigh ...

As for thermosolar ... maybe it was just that particular phrase I hadn't seen.

Not sure what you mean about South Australia? I checked out some solar headlines for that, and I can see that a similar site to the one planned has had problems (leakage of molten salt, yikes!) but I don't fink thats what you might mean ...

Your advice to do my own maths for my own house is spot on! I'm awful at that (see above) - certainly won't be doing it in the next 6 months, so I have time. I have some precautions around water, but nothing lasts forever ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Options
    I guess I feel ridiculous because I can't keep the tech details in my head long enough to make a decision about what to do

I've tried to avoid keeping anything in my head since the invention of paper. Draw diagrams and label them in such a way that anyone who happens along can see the problem and the very obvious solution that drops out of the description of the problem.
    I want a solar system,

Why?
    but I've got a block of some kind about the techie stuff. Sigh ...

List the issues and then the mitigations, and then your assumptions. Don't try to eat all the elephant at once.
    Not sure what you mean about South Australia? I checked out some solar headlines for that, and I can see that a similar site to the one planned has had problems (leakage of molten salt, yikes!) but I don't fink thats what you might mean ...

In September 2016, the State of South Australia went dark. It's about the size of the British Isles, but only 1.5 million people live there. The whole area lost power apart from a couple of resilient places.

Now *if* you know what actually happened, running a search on the event is very illuminating as to how people lie and misdirect. There was a storm on at the time a "Once in 50 year event" (just like me!) - the storm damaged some pylons. Would you at this point be blaming the storm for damaging the electricity infrastructure and that caused the outage?

What about if I told you it damaged the pylons *after* the power went off - what would you think now? What would you be thinking if I accidentally-on-purpose omitted telling you that? Like so many have.

Now since then, SA have had a number of "load shedding" incidents (which have been unable to be blamed on storms - of whatever vintage). "Load Shedding" is the euphemism for when people lose power deliberately so other people don't have to.

I always think that should such a thing be required in the UK, we should load-shed Brighton. They have a Green MP, so undoubtedly would just love to be the first to "take one for the team".

In response to the instability in SA, Elon Musk has been given a hard-to-find (i.e. I can't find out how much) amount of money for a battery which will keep things going for a whole 8 minutes. I don't know how much, but it's the world's biggest lithium ion battery, and another battery of less than half the capacity cost 100 million USD.

They've also bought in open cycle gas turbines to generate power. Think of an aircraft engine taken from a wing with an alternator bolted to it. Now feed it with diesel and produce electricity.

Also there is going to be an expanded pumped storage scheme "Snowy River" IIRC which should be ready sometime in the 2020's.

There are other things, but this is why I consider it to be a train crash.

As far as the UK goes, we made the same decisions but are a couple of years behind. We already have the diesel though - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/06/diesel-farms-national-grid-tax-breaks
    Your advice to do my own maths for my own house is spot on! I'm awful at that (see above) - certainly won't be doing it in the next 6 months, so I have time. I have some precautions around water, but nothing lasts forever ...

"Stock rotation..." :p
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    In other news - blown through my bandwidth cap already for this month...too much utoobing... :o
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    In other news - blown through my bandwidth cap already for this month...too much utoobing... :o

Only a week to go then:eek::rotfl:

• beanielou
    Options
    I would love solar panals.
    Way to expensive for me though.

• ZTD
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I would love solar panals.

Which does prompt the question: Why?
    beanielou wrote: »
    Way to expensive for me though.

Depends how much power you want and what type they are.

Polycrystaline are the cheapest and best for low light conditions - like Scotland...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    Options
    As I like the idea of paying less for electricity.
    We do get some sun in Scotland ya know!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure