PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ideas for really cheap easy Buffet food please!!

Options

Comments

• Rachel85
    Options
    I would probably make a big pot of chilli and serve it with baked potatoes and/or nachos. Nice and simple and any left over can be frozen rather than go to waste.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck Twinkle. You have some good ideas here so make sure you dont go overbudget. It seems a lot of people for a single parent to have to pay for in catering terms tho. Perhaps you can suggest a kind of pot luck thing with people bringing dishes to spread the cost.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have an idea of what I can do for a buffet for 25 people this weekend? I am reasonably competent in the kitchen but lacking ideas :o

So far i have cheese/ham mini quiches and salmon/chive mini quiches. I plan on makinging some cupcakes too but what else??
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you want it to be finger food or will fork stuff do?

Finger foods sausage rolls and cheese and onion rolls,
    pinwheels made with tortlla wraps - put filling on and roll up then slice into inch long bits will look pretty
    little roast new potatoes, cut a cross in top and dollop on a blue cheese or sour cream and chive dip, nice cold
    half cherry toms with a squirt of cream cheese and chive mix piped on.
    crudites and hummus

If you want to go the fork route try coleslaw, pasta salad, green salad and potato salad to go with sandwich, quiche type things.

Hope that helps, I used to run a tea room so have done lots of buffets, please ask if you need any recipes or timings.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    chocolate coated strawberries - dead easy to make, look wonderful, can be made in advance, & strawberries cheap at this time of year. Make up several platters with white, dark & milk chocolate.

Home made buckwheat blinis with sour cream & smoked salmon. You need very little salmon.

Mini puff pastry pizzas/tarts. Take ready made puff pastry, & score a border around whatever shapes you choose to make them into - I normally do small squares, or if I can be bothered, use two sizes of fluted pastry cutters. Add a tablespoon of caramelised onion & crumble on goats cheese, or a tablespoon of pesto & a slice of two of cherry tomato, or chopped ham & cheese, your choice....
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    ooo both have nice suggestions.. I think i might go the fork route I have a tonne of plastic cutlery someplace :) Some family are up from enngland and over from canada and my mother kindly suggested everyone meet up at my house as I have the most room so its mostly a nice cold buffet around lunch that everyone can just nibble on informally while catching up on last 30 years is done.

I'll raid my salad leaves in garden on the day.

I like the puff pastry tart idea too, sounds easy and easy to vary..
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just stick with the basics,salad,sandwhiches,quiche,cheese board,sausage/cheese onion rolls,pasta,coldcuts,fruit,cakes,triffle,muffins.
    Maybe a couple of hot dishes eg chilli,casserole.Hope you have a good time
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grab a couple of french sticks too and make up a plate of pate, cheese and cold meats - yum... can I come please? :D
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    chicken drumsticks
    hard boiled eggs, bit of salt
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2011 at 1:10AM
    Options
    I always enjoy rice salads :D Cook your rice and cool it under the cold tap immediately it's cooked. Add in any and all from sweetcorn ( frozen but thawed, or canned and drained), peas, tomatoes, celery, chopped peppers ( good opportunity to include lots of colour ), chopped onion, peanuts ( my personal favourite :D ) and chopped herbs.... parsley, mint, chives , basil. Good range of textures, colours and flavours.

edited: forgot to add, once mixed, dress with a good vinaigrette dressing, or one of your choice.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure