BA going Buy on Board refreshments for short haul...

Options

Comments

• MiraculousM
    Options
    Minor reasons are enough to not warrant me paying £40+ more to fly over other airlines where all these factors were things that made me stay with them..

There were other things... the size of the my personal laptop bag (my backpack is too big now) which has been reduced.

The service isnt as great. Things are taken away but the prices are not going down?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Minor reasons are enough to not warrant me paying £40+ more to fly over other airlines where all these factors were things that made me stay with them..

There were other things... the size of the my personal laptop bag (my backpack is too big now) which has been reduced.

The service isnt as great. Things are taken away but the prices are not going down?

Prices are fluid, it's not as though every time you fly ba you are paying £40 more than easy jet or Ryanair or any other airline.

I can't see the addition of a snack or free drink being a major deciding factor, price primarily and also airport location and flights times will be far more important for most people.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Prices are fluid, it's not as though every time you fly ba you are paying £40 more than easy jet or Ryanair or any other airline.

I can't see the addition of a snack or free drink being a major deciding factor, price primarily and also airport location and flights times will be far more important for most people.

Naturally price, time and location are primary for almost everyone. And no-one would pay £40 for a 'free' snack. But some people are prepared to pay more for a slightly more premium 'feeling' product.

Most of my travel is on business. So for example I do actually value the food slightly more highly because paying for it myself also means a few minutes making an expense claim. I also value free seat selection so I can sit close to the front - an extra 10 minutes or so getting off makes a big difference. Decent lounges, fast track security etc make a big difference if you fly weekly.

You also have the fact that the customer service used to be excellent - I would regularly get rebooked onto flights that strictly speaking my ticket didn't allow, for example. No chance of that now.

And so that's why it annoys when BA penny-pinch. It seems a trivial matter, but paying for food feels like the thin end of a wedge.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »

It is the other cuts that have been implemented over the years along with the recent food 'upgrade' that have made many frequent flyers to say enough is enough. Loyalty has its limits.

We humans are strange - if price and location were a major deciding factor in how we spend our cash for a service or product, many will ask shoppers why they will travel miles to shop at Waitrose when they have an Asda or Tesco on their doorstep.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Options

Given all of the other financial pressures on running an airline it's remarkable that prices haven't really risen in real terms over the last 10 years. Indeed some fares are now cheaper than they were last century.

I've never considered a toothbrush and paste as a "luxury". If you really care about cleaning your teeth before landing then take your own. I suspect that most just got thrown away.
  • MiraculousM
    Options
    its little things though. I already try and make it as comfortable as possible for myself and now having to take on that added thing is going to add weight to my bag and mean im taking more "stuff".

when you are flying economy there are few luxuries.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    Options
    I have just returned from Malta (flying with BA) the free food and drink that was provided was pretty acceptable, it consisted of a sandwich, some cheese and 2 crackers, a small chocolate sultana crispy thing and a Lily O'Brian chocolate dessert, in additional to a drink (I had white whine on the outbound and a vodka and coke on the return). To be honest you'd struggle to have moaned about it.

It was far more than just a small snack that some people seem to be referring to.

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    Options
    I have just returned from Malta (flying with BA) the free food and drink that was provided was pretty acceptable, it consisted of a sandwich, some cheese and 2 crackers, a small chocolate sultana crispy thing and a Lily O'Brian chocolate dessert, in additional to a drink (I had white whine on the outbound and a vodka and coke on the return). To be honest you'd struggle to have moaned about it.

It was far more than just a small snack that some people seem to be referring to.

Exactly, and I do get a bit annoyed about this assumption that everyone is moaning about a 'tiny snack'. Yes, if you fly to Amsterdam, Brussels etc. you basically get a biscuit or crisps - fine, its <1hr flight. But if you fly to Istanbul, Athens etc., it's a 4hr+ flight and you got a proper (albeit cold) meal / packed lunch.

And that is easily enough of a journey, especially if over a lunchtime, that you need to eat. So I find it ridiculous that BA are saying that even though they advertised a meal that comes with catering, they can get away with simply now saying it isn't.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Options

That's because Malta is a "Band 4" short haul destination so it gets a decent catering service in Economy

More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1540396-short-haul-catering-guide.html
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2017 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Just a reminder that short haul flights will no longer provide free food, the last day is the 10th Jan. From the 11th you will have to buy what's available from M&S.

I believe they will supply potable cold water for free. http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/food-and-drink/short-haul-economy-dining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure