PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• DaniS
    DaniS Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    NSD yesterday.

Meal planning on track and hopefully today will be a similar story of using up odds and ends and getting the freezer down.

I am running low of fresh fruit, but with one working day left I'm going to make a nice banana loaf for OH to take in his packed lunch instead of going to the shop. He's off work this weekend and we're off to see my parents at their caravan for the weekend so there's no point in buying fresh to sit in the fridge.
  • olgemama
    olgemama Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had to do a couple of top up shops in the village coop as I have no time to get to a cheaper supermarket until the weekend. Way too much going on with end of term, end of primary school events.

Big un has a friend over for tea this evening so have splurged on 'posh' pizza - worth it for him to be happy, he's been having a rough time at school of late.

Spend to date £101/£600

Have very very bare cupboards and freezer so an inventory planned for this evening and meal plan for next week. Planning on a visit to cheap supermarket on Saturday, just need some ham and bread to make tomorrows pack up before then.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm. With a larger than intended shop last week, and then a top up shop as well, I've gone over my budget. With 3 weekly shops to go!!

Tonight should be my week 3 shop but honestly, I'm so stocked up still, with fresh stuff too, that I am not going to do it. Instead I am going to inventory the remainder of what I have and meal plan from that. I should be able to get away with little to no extra being bought, apart from maybe a couple of fresh veg. I definitely have the making of a red lentil bolognese type pasta sauce, and a Jamaican curry. It's more lunches I'm thinking of where I might fall short of fresh stuff. Plus some fruit perhaps.

Last week's week2 shop was so big because of taking advantage of offers on some tins (things I was going to buy one of but then on 3 for 2 etc). So my cupboards are bursting! I have all my spices and stock and condiments, plus dried and tinned food.
    Freezer is very low still, which is good, but I'm not liking not having a selection of emergency meals to choose from!
    I've managed to sneak in 2 mains and a soup though, so feeling a bit better now.

Hope everyone is having a better month than me!!

................................£150 Budget
    Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining
    24 Jun.....A1di........£01.24....£148.76
    25 Jun.....Ocad0.......£33.72....£115.04
    25 Jun.....Tesc0.......£69.87.....£45.15
    29 Jun.....0cad0......-£01.40.....£46.55
    29 Jun.....A1di........£01.49.....£45.06
    29 Jun.....Refund.....-£03.00.....£48.06
    1 Jul......A1di........£11.70.....£36.36
    1 Jul......Tesc0.......£32.25.....£04.11
    1 Jul......Tesc0.......£07.26....-£03.15
    1 Jul......Tesc0.......£04.50....-£07.65

Date....Fresh/Frozen..Cupboard/Dry Goods..Cleaning/Toiletries..Treats..Bags
    24 Jun..£01.24........-...................-....................-.......tbc
    25 Jun..£04.00........£14.90..............£31.64...............-.......-£02.00 (£15 off whole order)
    25 Jun..£33.85........£25.32..............-....................£10.70..-
    29 Jun..£01.49........-...................-....................-.......-£01.40

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The good news is the new Lidl is so cheap! The bad news is it's so cheap that when I took my trolley full of things that I felt sure were worth more than £30, they turned out to be £25 and the sales assistant wouldn't let me go back and grab £5 worth of stuff to be able to get the £5 discount.

Never mind. They've sent another voucher for next week so I will tot it up as I go around. My MuscleFood order has also arrived so I have NO REASON to buy anything for a week. Must not do it.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think my brain cells must be on the fritz.

I swear I had joined earlier, sorry but may I be put down for £250
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have spent £84.87 this week: £4.67 Co-op, £9 market, £64.07 Sainsbobs (large online order for delivery) and £7.13 Co-op with 4 NSDs. So, £75.13 left in budget for the next 3 weeks. Definitely do-able as fridge, freezer and cupboards are all well stocked up.

Tomorrow should be shopping day but I don't need anything at all so a free day to do what I want. :j

Meal plan for next week already done (my week starts on a Friday), all meals being made from what I already have. And I've listed everything in the fridge with use-by dates so it's easier to see what needs using first. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I spent the grand total of £2 today, on some beautiful-looking raspberries and a punnet of nectarines. We went to two other shop too, and oh paid for my meagre ys buys, and he also bought kfc for us for dinner. So, bargain night for me!

I'm out with work tomorrow night so won't be eating at home, but I'll work out Saturday's meals tomorrow so I know where I am. List for Sunday is growing, but not by much so that's good.

Total for the month now at £4.83, with 4nsds.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've just done my second weekly shop of the month and have spent £63.25\£140. This means I'm slightly under budget but I will need milk mid week. Mind you I should be under budget as I had no meat to buy due to a freezer full of ys meat so I mustn't get complacent:o
    I got some good ys fruit in Asda yesterday which still looks really fresh so that helped. They also had bags of either 6 or 8 of the artisan rolls that are usually sold individually for 24p a bag so I got four bags for the freezer. Posh packed lunches for us this month :D

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1st proper shop today. We have guests for tomorrow so a lot of this will come from another budget.

Lots of weird meals and bits and pieces so far this week, but the cupboards and freezer are still full. I have too much stuff!
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Over budget this week at £48 but did spend £13 on bbq charcoal! Total so far is £97/£170
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure