PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Fees - Infuriating

Options
I am about to move into a property however as a tenant, the agency want £355 in fees.

£240 for admin
£115 for check in

Tenant ref actual cost £20
Tenancy agreement cost £0 as copied and pasted from others simply time (doesn't take an hour to amend details)
Survey of Property.

I spoke with the director of the letting agency who did not want to reduce fees whatsoever. He was not up for negotiating in the slightest.

What can one do about this aside from pay the £40 to £50 it costs for the survey oneself and avoid the £115

But the £240 for admin... that's £220 spare..

the landlord is also being charged.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    You can... find somewhere else to rent.

That's it. Those are the fees, pay up or walk away
  • bebewoo
    bebewoo Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it's a ripoff but until the law changes the parasites can get away with it.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I am about to move into a property however as a tenant, the agency want £355 in fees.

£240 for admin
    £115 for check in

Tenant ref actual cost £20
    Tenancy agreement cost £0 as copied and pasted from others simply time (doesn't take an hour to amend details)
    Survey of Property.

I spoke with the director of the letting agency who did not want to reduce fees whatsoever. He was not up for negotiating in the slightest.

What can one do about this aside from pay the £40 to £50 it costs for the survey oneself and avoid the £115

But the £240 for admin... that's £220 spare..

the landlord is also being charged.

You missed out business rates, taxes, National insurance, electricity/gas, wages, rent for premises, accountants fee's and a whole host of other costs the Agents must account for before making a profit.

Although make no mistake i am not a fan and don't use agents at all.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately you can either bend over & spread for them; or take your business elsewhere.
    It stinks, as does the blatant conflict of interest, but nobody seems keen on doing anything about it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Miss_Samantha
    Options
    Do you know how much Coca-Cola actually costs? Yet people seem happy to buy a lot of the stuff at the price stores and restaurants charge.

What something costs a provider is never relevant, only what a consumer is willing to pay is. That's how commerce works.
  • All you can do (next time) is restrict your rental search to the agents with the lowest fees, which is a PITA bit of research to do first.

It would be nice if the search engines published the fees on each advert (or even made them searchable/filterable)!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless you get people like me. I went to three LA's to find a rental property. Two were charging under £100. One charged £500 in admin fees - and to make matters worse the house was only £600 a month. So guess who I walked away from?
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    With immigration at 300k a year, I suggest you get in and get your head down.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have forgotten the credit checking fee
    I have had 2 employees lose a lot of money over this fee , because in our area rented property is in high demand , they have had to give a large deposit to secure the property before being credit checked . They both failed the check and lost their deposit .........nice work if you can get it
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your choices are:

1. Walk away

2. Accept the fees if you really want this property.

3. Move to Scotland where such fees are unlawful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure