PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh,I am soooooo pleased with my work this afternoon!!
    My front room is finally decluttered.:j:j:j.I have been decluttering the house since October,but with a special focus on out front room,and finally, it is done :j:j:j.
    Now,when I ssay completely decluttered,towards the end,I have cheated a little,incey,tinsy,teeny-weeny bit :o.Assorted jumbles of paper,which are going to take 166,674,345,789 years to sort completely,I have bundled up into bags,and hidden in a wicker basket :o.My plan now is to continue decluttering the rest of the house that needs to be done, during the day,and in the evening,while watching tv,sort out one bag at a time.I have been decluttering this room since October,and I think I owe myself a quick win.Mostly the papers are kid's artwork,and it is going to take forever.
    Out so far today:

Binned:
    431:a clay "thing" that daughter made about 2 years ago at an outdoor/forest workshop.It had been sitting on the window-cill for years,was crumbling around the rim.......

Recycled:
    432:Joules paper shopping bag from Christmas 2015.Too good to throw out,but it had just been sitting around in the window cill (sometimes I think it things like this might be worth a couple of pounds on ebay,etc,though I have never sold a paper bag on
    ebay......)

Also from the window-cill I rehomed into my display cabinet, 3 home-made clay footprint imprints my partner made from two eldest kids in 2003.Their feet were tiny!!!

There was also a tower my eldest made and painted when she was very little.In Welsh dresser.

Forgot to mention,last night a friend had a spontaneous "come around and have a few drinks-I am feeling fed-up" evening.I used it as an excuse to declutter
    433-435 3 bottles of wine to the party.They were given to me by customers for Christmas last year,but I don't drink.In previous years,bottles of wine and other alcohol I don't know what is,have sat around for years and years until they turn to vinegar,I am sure.At least these ones were maybe drunk last night,or at least left at a drinkers house for future use.........
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2017 at 10:25AM
    Options
    I'm away at my Mum's but still around just not decluttering till I get home- then the action will start up again. I've decluttered a very large vase to Mum.
  • Aberdeen5
    Aberdeen5 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Evening

Took a box down from loft and

366 - 387 21 ��Golf tees put in golf bag in garage
    388 389. 2 golf balls put in golf bag
    390 391. Nef bullets in bin
    392. 397 6 kids hangers given to neighbour
    398 403. School text books given to neighbour
    404. Notebook in bag to use
    405. Handful of paper clips etc in bin
    406. Plasters put in medicine box
    407 408 2 pairs of socks put back in kids drawers ( why would they be Ina box in the loft?)

Last few bits put in other box and cardboard box recycled
    Little by little
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    Never went out to get things to make trifle this morning as it's been absolutely tipping it down and blowing an absolute hoolie all day here :eek:

We had tea at about 7 or a bit before and we're still all stuffed so the trifle wouldn't have been touched tonight anyway :o

I did make some buns this morning with mum though - just about managed one about 20 minutes ago, delicious!
  • KitKatMum2
    KitKatMum2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    somerandom wrote: »
    Well done on letting go of the dress Kitkatmum - how about you turn keeping the necklace into a success by wearing it whether the occasion warrants it or not OR arrange to do something that does warrant it? :)
    I will definitely try to wear it somerandom - I may drop a hint at my husband to take me somewhere where I can wear it!

523.-524. Dresses
    525. Trousers
    526. Top
    527-528. Candles
    529 -554 Toys
    555. Hair Clip
    556.-559 Storage containers
    560. Book
    561. Magazine
    562 Colouring book
    563. Cotton wool
    564. Deodorant wipes
    565. box file
    566. alice band

We decluttered the toy box today. I am really pleased with how much we have got rid of. Everything I've counted has been either donated or thrown out, but there is also a basket of toys to try selling and a bag full to offer to friends/relatives. I'll not count those until they are gone though. Very happy but still loads to do!
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,338 Forumite
    Options
    KitKatMum2 wrote: »

We decluttered the toy box today. I am really pleased with how much we have got rid of. Everything I've counted has been either donated or thrown out, but there is also a basket of toys to try selling and a bag full to offer to friends/relatives. I'll not count those until they are gone though. Very happy but still loads to do!

Lovely to see you sounding so much more positive,KitKatMum2.Sometimes you can really get on a roll,amd feel like you are winning,can't you?

After finishing front room this afternoon,I cleaned kitchen (gets messy,but still basically staying decluttered from mid-Jan (I think),continued loads of washing,folding,putting away.Also
    chucked a random,rubbery,non-descript toy hiding behing microwave

When OH and kids came home,I had a bundle of papers for youngest 2 to sort.Is it only my kids that spend all week at school,then all weeekend playing "Schools",complete with copious amounts of notes,drawings,spelling lists,maths tests,and newsletters :eek: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

While sitting down tonight,I sorted through 2small bundles of papers: some mail to be filed,school reports to keep,cards from kids to keep,some expired vouchers to shred/recycle.Will count this,plus kids' paper-sorting,as 1,so 437.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    decluttered some hair curly things into the bin. then general kitchen waste and old receipts
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,899 Forumite
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    Just realised that I've not counted anything for ages

1311 - mirror (as above)
    1312 - printer
    1313 -1342 - electrical items
    1343 -1372 - paper
    1373 - mug tree

Went to a birthday party/took biscuits and bread, plus took 6 items to swap (game) but came home with none as nothing I wanted was left to swap with!

1374 - small handbag mirror
    1375 - bracelet
    1376 - 1378 - 3 packets of biscuits
    1379 - scrunchie
    1380 - mug
    1381 - purse
    1382 - bread
    1383 - 1390 printer lead to son plus various other cables/leads

I need to think what items went to the charity shop the other day - my daughter saw my bag ready to go when she came over the other day and we went in her car to her local charity shop. Do not think I had written them down anywhere, but can remember some of the things. Will add to next list.

frogletina

1391 - 1394 4 pairs of woolen tights
    1395 - 1398 items relating to mobiles
    1399 - 1408 cleaning products
    1409 - 1414 books
    1415 - 1633 paperwork
    1634 - 1698 mixture of papers and odd items
    1699 - 1700 music cassettes

One of my family members moved into an unfurnished flat and I gave her

1700 - sofa bed
    1701 - duvet cover
    1702 - 1703 towels
    1704 - bathroom bin
    1705 - bath mat
    1706 - lighthouse, decorative, expensive, but no longer wanted.
    (she saw it on my donate pile - said she'd always loved it)
    1707 - container that she is now using for kitchen utensils.
    1708 -1711 assorted dishes, casserole and lasagna
    1712 - 1713 2 chopping boards
    1714 - 1719 Set of 2 dinner plates, two side plates and 2 bowls
    1720 - 1723 A children's set of plate, bowl, mug and egg cup decorated with chickens. It was hers as a child and I kept it here for when she visited. She's now 22...where do the years go

She also advised me that the radio in the room she sleeps in her does not have the plug and cable attached. Cue me collecting it back from my son's house - oops.

- 1 item retrieved

1722 items out

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • gemmajenkins0208
    gemmajenkins0208 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2017 at 11:34AM
    Options
    A shampoo and a mouthwash used up last night during my evening routine :o

Both bottles put out for recycling which has meant a little bit of space gained back in the bathroom as ours is littered with various bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash :rotfl:

I have scoped out a couple of bottles with hardly anything left in them. These are a shampoo, a body wash(albeit a men's one but they all do the same thing!) and a shave gel. Turned them upside down(apart from the shave gel) to make it easier to get the last bits out during showers over the next few days, the resulting empty bottles(and can) will then be put in recycling thus making even more space in the bathroom :j

I am also about to use up a deodorant(then will pull last one from stash :eek: ) and a body spray while getting ready for work(also then moving on to last one from stash!) and will toss the cans in downstairs bin just before I leave the house :D
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The decluttering is going very slowly here but I've managed a couple more things

67 handful of recipes torn from magazines and never used
    68 hand sanitiser
    69 leaky bubble mixture
    70-71 books
    72 out of date calpol
    73-74 old half-used tubes of nappy cream
    75 handful of nappy bags (son has been potty trained for a year)
    76 very old calamine cream
    77 out of date (by 3 years!) money off coupons
    78 last year's National Trust handbook

I shall make a concerted effort to do some more at the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure