We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Lucielle - hope hubby makes a fast recovery. We hear that Skye is very busy indeed and people have to prove they have a booking before getting on the ferry which seems unusual - probably just urban myth?

Wet here again today - OH away to hospital for an appointment but I thought I'd catch up on all those piling up jobs indoors that need tackling before I drown in the clutter & chaos of paper work & ironing - not that I do much of that but somethings you just have to.
    I'm going to make a Rhubarb jelly - which is easy & involves a boiled pan of rhubarb & a Rowntrees jelly & a little Muscovado sugar & it's surprisingly nice & uses it up. I hate waste & I just have so much of the stuff - I should make jam with it.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Good that Mr L did no permanent damage.

I think this would be the Festival JoJo was referring to :beer:: http://www.blackdownbeerfestival.co.uk/

Looks like a good time, if you have the bladder for it! :o I vaguely remember the days when bouncing up and down, squashed in a crowd was normal. I can still take any amount of volume, but only in the ears!:rotfl:

Forgot to say, Horse Woman's place has dropped many thousands after no one showed any interest in it. When they come down another £25k, it'll be about right. ;)

Close, Dave - it's Beautiful Days in Ottery St Mary.

Today, I have been mostly fixing a brush harvester. Last year, the person who used it didn't bother to remove the debris wrapped around the brushes, with the result that (having ensured it was going nowhere), I was underneath the thing retrieving great clumps of dried bramble, bits of tree and huge clumps of long grass that had turned pretty much into cordage.

The very nice elderly farmer convinced the guy who was going to be pulling it along that putting some fresh fuel, adding a dab of oil and pumping the tires up to something more than 6psi would assist it in working, too. After that, he loaded a couple of bales of green hay onto the other trailer and, with a little encouragement to speak his mind, he stressed that the seed collection needed to be completed today because it's sunny today - the operator was saying we could leave the bales and seed collection until Friday if it wasn't finished (due to having to get the thing working in the first place).

I then spent a rather nice lunch watching him bounce the harvester up and down the fields before bagging up the seeds. Then we had to broadcast it over chalk scrapes (which was the point of doing it in the first place) and then the hay got laid out on another.

When I got back and met Himself (as he very kindly texted to say he was in the pub and there was a pint waiting for me), his incredibly romantic comments consisted of telling me I looked and smelled like I'd been living in a rabbit hutch. Thanks, mate, just think yourself lucky I looked where I was putting my feet, or it would have been a sheep byre instead. And then I took my hat off and a clump of hay drifted down, and my small bag (phone for emergencies and photos, plus tick twisters) has inexplicably filled itself so it looks like there's a birds' nest in there..

His amusement sealed his fate. He's now making tea.

My new boots are great - can't do them up quite as tightly as I'd like yet, as the leather hasn't quite softened on the top bit, so the laces have come undone a couple of times, but the actual fit of the heel and width is perfect, even at the end of the day. I am, however, very aware that my clothing is rubbish. Cheap jeans from Primark are no match for bramble, dog rose, thistle or anything else. I need to get some proper work trousers, I think. Trouble is, I'm rather squidgy in the middle, so ladies' stuff rarely goes anywhere near me and my 'waist' measurement is somewhat fluid depending upon what you actually mean.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jo you should write a book! Just keep diary like you send us here, after a year or so you'll have a book. I love your meandering writings, and the stuff you share with us.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with Maggie :)

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time Jojo.

I was a bit further southwest than you last week, on the coast.

This time I came back via Tintinhull Gardens and acquired a few more plants... which are now planted. The garden is starting to look like a garden.

Maybe I should be stopping off at Dave's to stock up sometime.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Maybe I should be stopping off at Dave's to stock up sometime.
    We're running a bit short now! The selling of plants at the gate is just a trickle, but it's become steadier as more people get used to looking, so stocks will be exhausted by the end of the season.

Of course, I might pot some more! :D

We're a wee bit further off the A303 than Tintinhull too.

I did wonder about Beautiful Days JoJo, as Ottery area is posher than the Blackdowns, but it was the prominent beer there wot persuaded me to plump for it! :o

I agree with your assessment of the Ottery region. Nice for a day out, but not real Deb'n.

Absolutely nothing to report here, beyond the beautiful day. :)
  • choille
    Options
    Well it's been incredible cloud bursts on & off but managed a nice walk along the beach at Gruinard again with pup pup. He likes a paddle but my wellies are leaking so I must get some new ones. I will as I am fed up of wearing wet socks. I do seem to get through them. I think it's bending that jiggers them sort of.

Not much to report as just seem to be slowly plodding on getting nowhere fast.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all...

one of those days today !

first off get a call to say dad poorly again..
    tumble dryer packed up...
    [had to buy new washing machine last month !]
    went to hosp app re swollen hand.. in there ages , LOADS of blood tests, xrays and 3rd degree questions... very thorough tho so will return for results after my holiday ... BUT did get a big shot of something supposed to help in my butttt ! which now feels like im sitting on a hedgehog...
    went on to JL, bought a new dryer.. took it home [or a 1 week wait for delivery] got it installed, took old one to the dump, got home ... DRYER DOESNT WORK CORRECTLY !!!! keeps turning itself off after 3-4 minutes.... grrrr
    spent next hour on phone to "technicions" who finally told me to ring someone else on Monday as engineers now gone home ....grrrr
    son went o buy fish n chips [before I blew a gasket] .. they had to be the worse ive ever tasted !!!!
    SO... I sank in a hot bath with a hot toddy, stayed there for an hour and emerged , butt sore but slightly calmer ....

roll on my holiday !

whinge over, hope you all have a good weekend xxx
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Oh dear alfie, it sounds as if your holiday can't come too soon now! :(Dodgy hugz.....:grouphug:
    Hope Dad, rallies, as he has before.:)

I've been a bit off-colour myself for 2 days, so we took time out this morning to visit the RHS Flower Show at Rosemoor (well, it's on the way to Lidl! :rotfl:)

Flower Show is a misnomer, as it was actually just a plant fair, but that didn't stop 2500 people arriving in the first two hours, making it parking bedlam.Took 20 mins just to abandon the car somewhere ......anywhere!

DW wanted to visit the 'Show,' but as there wasn't one, she had to settle for the trade stands, which is what I like to look at, just to see what's on-trend. Then, when I've propagated enough of whatever it is, it'll be old hat, but studying form keeps me amused. :o

The gardens themselves were so rammed, we decided to go back next week.

We picked up a few new treasures, including one of these which will cope with our full sun:
    pl2000011165_card6_lg.jpg

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/hydrangea-paniculata-vanille-fraise-renhy-pbr/classid.2000011165/

On the way back to the car, three sets of people waylaid us to ask what the 'big hydrangea' was (7litre pot £15! :D) By the time we got there I'd mentally taken about 8 cuttings from it. :rotfl:

Best bit was that when we got home from Lidl, we'd sold quite a few plants and the till was £3.50 in excess. We thought someone had taken a plant in the week without paying and that was them settling up! :A
  • choille
    Options
    Alfie - you have had a trial - hate having machines go wrong & having to phone call centres - I could merrily go berserk with an axe if I have to do that. Brings out the worst in most folks - or is it just me?

Hope Dad gets better soon, hand swelling goes flat & holiday goes really well.

Dave - what a beaut of a Hydranga - they are rather good value as they flower for ages & are top beaut showy & even when you are a sloppy house person & forget to add water to the vase they dry rather marvellously. I am a big fan.

I have two ' ordinary ' ones that are getting hidden by other shrubs that I got from cuttings down the road that I .....acquired of an evening *cough* as you do. I've developed this technique - smooth as Ti Chi - bend, snap, secrete about person....walk on............

Good on the plant sales - pleased that you have an honest Jo - always gives a boost when that happens - restores faith in human nature.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »

Good on the plant sales - pleased that you have an honest Jo - always gives a boost when that happens - restores faith in human nature.
    We often have weird discrepancies, probably due to people not having the right money, but others over-pay rather than take change, and part-payers usually return, eventually.

We have had the odd thing pinched, but taken overall, things work out in our favour. I think people understand that we offer good value and that self service only works if the vast majority behave themselves.

The tradition of buying and selling on the roadside is still quite strong here. It's a shame it no longer works so well in the more populated and touristy areas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback