Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• groovygrandad
    Options
    Their are now some Home Insurance Companies who reject Cashback if you have been through a Comparison Site first.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wonder if other companies have the same rule? That would put some people off having an alarm because you may end up stressing about forgetting to set it.

With my own insurance, I got a 5% discount due to all my windows having key operated locks so now I'm paranoid about checking them in case I give them an excuse to refuse a claim.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I wonder if other companies have the same rule? That would put some people off having an alarm because you may end up stressing about forgetting to set it.

With my own insurance, I got a 5% discount due to all my windows having key operated locks so now I'm paranoid about checking them in case I give them an excuse to refuse a claim.

You received a 5% discount off the contents part of the premium only which probably saved you circa £5 a year.

Personally I recommend to my clients not to declare the window locks unless it's a requirement due to their post code or amount of contents.

For for going the small saving the peace of mind is worth it
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I obtained a home insurance quote with Swiftcover for £180 via confused.com, then cleared my cookies and tried to purchase it via Quidco to take advantage of their £32 cashback.

However, on entering the SAME details (excess, values, etc) the Swiftcover policy price had jumped to £220. Is that normal behaviour? Is that how Quidco is able to offer such cashbacks? Are they allowed to do that?

Any suggestions on how I can take advantage of the confused.com price, but also get a Quidco cashback?

Thanks.
  • iBeast
    iBeast Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Zakthedog wrote: »
    I have recently had an alarm fitted to my bungalow.this cost me £500.Today I contacted my insurance company the A.A.to advise them and expecting a reduction in my premium,to my surprise I was told there was no reduction but I was advised that now having an alarm and if I do not have it turned on and I was broken into I would be liable to £500 excess on any claim.
    Discussed my complaint with chief exec.office but they are not interested,I will not be renewing with thus company again.
    A very disgrunted customer.

To be honest this is quite common.
    Nobody has signatures anymore everyone has chip and pin!
  • crosswithdosh
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just spent an hour trying to renew my home buildings and contents insurance, following the advice on the MSE page, and it failed because of a subsidence claim we had to make 8 years ago on our current property.
    Will there ever be time when i can get insured by someone else for buildings insurance? I feel like we are stuck with our current insurer, watching premiums steadily go up year after year and be unable to do anything about it. :mad:
    Any advice or help out there on how to get out of this insurance trap?
    Thanks.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Whose your current Insurer?

What's your premium?
  • crosswithdosh
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Whose your current Insurer?

What's your premium?

We are currently with Direct Line and they have quoted us £595 for the coming year. We have been with them for 10 years and the subsidence claim was through them.
  • dacouch
    Options
    You're stuck with them for the time being, it will also make selling your house easier if you're with them as the buyer can continue cover with DL.

The price you're paying for a house with previous subsidence is not that bad as many are north of £1000 a year

Have you tried ringing them and asking them to recommend ways to reduce the premium.

Things to look into are do they give a discount off your Home premium if you have other Insurance with the eg a car. If you get say 10% off for having your car with them it's a good saving assuming they're competitive on your car.

Also look at increasing your excess as sometimes increasing from say £50 to £100 or £150 can reduce your premium by 10%. The discount can often be around the amount extra you agree to pay in excess.

Ask for quotes on different excesses, especially look at just increasing the excess on the building part as this will often yield the best value.

I don't recommend increasing the excess to high though
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    I don't recommend increasing the excess to high though

My general approach is always to increase the excess to as high as possible (>£1000) for all insurance (to keep the premiums low), but to never make a claim unless an absolute catastrophe happens.

Why do you recommend against it? Am I overlooking any pit-falls here?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback