Options

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:52PM
    Options
    ElefantEd wrote: »
    Can't remember the individual sizes, the smallest was 1.2kW I think.

So if you compare what they offer, to something like this (if you wanted modern looking wall hung heaters).

https://www.heatershop.co.uk/dimplex-plx-ti-panel-heaters

The 1.25KWH wall hung heaters, which are pretty slim, look good. They have thermostats and timers which ensures they have all the controls you need for efficiency.

Three of those would cost £357!!!

Compared to the 4k from fischer, just demonstrates what a rip off they are.

They would be just as efficient than any of the fischer heaters.
  • Kemilyb
    Kemilyb Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2016 at 7:31AM
    Options
    I've only just found this forum.
    I have a 3 bed, terraced, x council house, with 7, old storage heaters, that need replacing. 2 Large and 5 small. Wanted 3 large and 4 small.
    Just had a staggering quote. We guessed before hand about £4,500 to £6,000. .
    The Quote. . £10,400. An average of £1,486 EACH. And the FREE heating survey was awful, hard sell, no answers to direct questions, and lots of jargon, and science, that I'm sure was supposed to sound impressive, and I wasn't supposed to understand, just be dumbly impressed.
    I asked for no silly gimmicks during the survey, but I got nothing but that.
    Because I said I had 2 quotes already, and wouldn't tell him who with, he managed to put a slur on the products and services of every company he could think of.
    I'm totally sceptical of any company that is scared to tell you the price indication of their products.
    And he tried to give me a discount, if I put the deposit down NOW. . .NO WAY. Very poor conduct of the guy on the survey. . which was actually a Sales man. . Who was more like a dodgy car sales man. . Honestly "insert name" I wouldn't lie to you. . . "insert name" I only am passionate because our product is so much superior and I believe that you need it "insert name" . . .Blah blah. He repeated my name in EVERY sentence for 2 hours. I can just imagine the sales course he went on. Worst 2 hours of my life.
    I knew I wouldn't use them 2 mins after him arriving. . Before knowing the price.
    It is a good product, but not worth the hilarious price.
    I just want to add, that I made it quite clear that I wanted night storage heaters before booking my quote/sales appointment, as that is what I have now. They said yes correct. However the sales guy, tried to insist that I would need to change off of E7, because these Fischer heaters are NOT totally night storage heater, and DO continue to use electric during the day. Saying that even after I did this I'd be saving on electric. . I'm not so sure. My current antique night storage heaters are not expensive to run on E7.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Kemilyb wrote: »
    I've only just found this forum.
    I have a 3 bed, terraced, x council house, with 7, old storage heaters, that need replacing. 2 Large and 5 small. Wanted 3 large and 4 small.
    Just had a staggering quote. We guessed before hand about £4,500 to £6,000. .
    The Quote. . £10,400. And the FREE heating survey was awful, hard sell, no answers to direct questions, and lots of jargon, and science, that I'm sure was supposed to sound impressive, and I wasn't supposed to understand, just be dumbly impressed.
    I asked for no silly gimmicks during the survey, but I got nothing but that.
    Because I said I had 2 quotes already, and wouldn't tell him who with, he managed to put a slur on the products and services of every company he could think of.
    I'm totally sceptical of any company that is scared to tell you the price indication of their products.
    And he tried to give me a discount, if I put the deposit down NOW. . .NO WAY. Very poor conduct of the guy on the survey. . which was actually a Sales man. . Who was more like a dodgy car sales man. . Honestly "insert name" I wouldn't lie to you. . . "insert name" I only am passionate because our product is so much superior and I believe that you need it "insert name" . . .Blah blah. He repeated my name in EVERY sentence for 2 hours. I can just imagine the sales course he went on. Worst 2 hours of my life.
    I knew I wouldn't use them 2 mins after him arriving. . Before knowing the price.
    It is a good product, but not worth the hilarious price.

Always good to get real facts, prices and experiences from householder's. Thanks for your feedback KemilyB - to MSE members and visitors.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • geoffB
    Options
    peacock17 wrote: »
    i'm a bit confused too, there is no pdf. and information on there website makes no such claims
    iam still trying to find a rough idea of the cost of these heaters and the installment cost no one seem to be able to answer this??
  • CashStrapped
    edited 22 October 2016 at 2:47PM
    Options
    geoffB wrote: »
    iam still trying to find a rough idea of the cost of these heaters and the installment cost no one seem to be able to answer this??

You can't, that's the point. The company makes up any price they want! You have to get sales person to come out, who is trained to market them ,put pressure on you and get a sale.

They inflate prices way beyond the material value of the heaters and then slap on fake discounts.

As you can see above...two examples...(posts 437 and 431)..where they quote crazy prices they have been given. So, they [the company] just make them up. The prices will be different for every customer depending how how much they feel they can get out of each person.

If you look at the link I posted above, you will see a similar range of heaters. They will be just as efficient, just as responsive but you will get a true retail value.

Above example quoted £10,400 for 6 heaters. An average of £1485 per heater.

The other example a customer posted £4000 for 3 heaters. An average of around £1300 per heater.

The link I posted above, which has similar looking heaters if you look through their range. £100 - £300 per heater.

In fact, you can get portable heaters from argos which cost £50 and have the exact same efficiency.

So don't get drawn in. Avoid at all costs.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    To anyone thinking about buying storage heaters....don't! They are rubbish.
    Okay, they use electricity on Economy 7...which is good. If you work through the day, they'll be barely warm by the time you get home....which is rubbish.

Think of a better option. Then tell me what you've come up with!
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    geoffB wrote: »

You keep asking - but what do you think the answer might be ? Why is it that no matter how hard you look, neither you nor Google can find a publised one my friend?

To my knowledge this forum is the only scource of facts on the costs of (1) buying, (2) installing and (3) running costs of these panel heaters. One such fully detailed and costed install quote just a # number before your post. Can I suggest you invest a little time reading this thread and you will be rewarded with the closest you will ever get to the costs of this panel heating system.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Okay, they use electricity on Economy 7...which is good. If you work through the day, they'll be barely warm by the time you get home....which is rubbish.

Depends on the storage heaters and the thermal insulation of the property. Even though the heaters lose heat to the dwelling the building insulation should then keep that heat inside the house.

Fan assisted storage heaters have much lower heat loss during the day, but they're more expensive and bulkier.

Another option is to use E7 to heat a thermal store and then have wet radiators to withdraw the heat from the store as required.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • CashStrapped
    edited 23 October 2016 at 1:31AM
    Options

I would also point out that those so called "Storage Heaters" on the Fisher Website, may not be E7 storage heaters. All the literature seems to suggest they use standard (single rate) electricity. So in reality they are not storage heaters at all.

As Owain points out above. Storage Heaters can be the most cost effective all electric solution.

They get a bad press because in the past, they were often installed into unsuitable properties. They were usually undersized and installed in properties with poor or no insulation. They were especially common in poor quality council house housing stock.

They also get a bad press because people often do not use the controls correctly (and never learn to) and just turn the dials up high hoping that makes them work better.

In any case, storage heaters are not the point of discussion in this thread. Fisher heaters are.

However, I am concerned that Fisher seems to be selling some of their heaters as "storage heaters" even though I am not convinced they are.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You couldn't be more wrong. Just because you had a poorly configured setup doesn't mean storage heaters don't work.

They work perfectly well when correctly configured.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback