PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Callisto wrote: »
    Haven't been Kondoing much the last couple of weeks, as we've had bad news about Dad's health, his cancer has spread further. He has an appointment tomorrow to discuss treatment options, but it will be palliative only. :(
    That's tough, Callisto, sorry to hear about your dad. Kondoing can take your mind off it, and maybe help him by giving something external to focus on (a cousin of mine has been given the same diagnosis, just finished the first dose of palliative radiotherapy, and is now spending his time rearranging his beloved raised beds with veg into beds that are raised higher, but just have perennials, not annuals.)
    Save
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a day at a time callisto, been there, done that. It honestly is worse for family and loved ones, the person with the illness has time to prepare for the inevitable and can gain peace and serenity as they begin to detach from life as we know it. I am thinking about you and will light a candle for him

Km is on a bit of a backfoot at the moment, allotment is making me work very hard, all that weeding and processing but fruits and veg from nature, it could not be for a better reason

I took much good stuff to the hospice shop last week, including very many packs of ecozone balls. I bought them many many years ago when lakeland was practically giving them away. They and the silk lampshdes will earn much money for the cs. I have gained an empty large really useful box

A large bag of niger seed has gone, my local birds were not looking at it. Three very large cushions have gone to dd but from now, really it is km as I go. I need to buy a couple of long silk scarves from amazon, found them, love them, I bought one last week. Needed to coordinate my sewn mix n match clothes. Three in and I will remove 4 or 5 plus a couple of handbags for cs. Thats what I mean by on going. I did look allover, in local shops and charity shops but could not find the scarves I wanted
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Callisto - sorry to hear about your Dad.
    For you and any other kondoistas - ikeeya do an expandable pot lid holder in stainless steel for a fiver. I've used 2 to store my baking sheets and roasting pans upright. They are now neat and tidy, accessible and give me joy as I no longer have to haul them out to get to the one at the bottom! Deep Joy!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Callisto - that's sad news about your Dad, thinking of you.

Can second silvasava's recommendation of the pot lid holder - I use mine for holding chopping boards.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry about your Dad Callisto.x

This morning I went through all the household paperwork and rearranged it back into the boxes and labelled it all clearly. I found one of the plastic boxes had cracked so that will be binned. I realised that I don't know where my birth certificate is...:eek:

I'm getting rid of a cushion without a cover too as I don't need it. I don't know why I was keeping it!

I went through the fridge and threw away an old jar of mayo that was nearly used up.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a holdall in the top of one of our wardrobes that holds unused sentimental things. There's a silver cigarette box of my grandfathers (no one smokes now and I'm last in line!) I've done a bit of research on the hallmark and discovered its solid silver - not plate. It has an inscription on the lid so probably only worth scrap. I know I wont use or display it (dont know who the inscription was from) Theres also a heavy silver plated round tray - another research has identified it as being made for the shipping line Happag Lloyd (grandad was in the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy - gawd knows where he 'aquired' this from) Think DS1 might like it. Ive also a dolly that needs some serious TLC - last present from my other grandad when I was 6! She needs re-stringing and a new 'mama' - she's got a lovely set of porcelain teeth though but no makers mark. Not sure whether to advertise her or donate her - actually dollies give me the willies!! I'm finding it so much more easy to be objective about sentimental 'stuff'
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Freegle have come up trumps and a lovely lady has just collected the bowls and tools which came from my last (it died) food processor. Although there was no alternative but to take the FP to the electrical re-cycling skip I could not bear to junk the bits and pieces, after much procrastination on my part I listed them about 10 days ago and they are now re-homed :D:D

Next up 2 to be listed are more kitchen items and some Nerine bulbs we have needed to move, have kept some, but they do seem to multiply rather well!
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today I have recommended KM to somebody who ordered the book 7 minutes after I recommended it to her! Hopefully she'll be experiencing the joy before too long.

I've kondoed money to the dentist for the 3rd day in a row. Got a call asking if I wanted a hygienist apt today as they'd just had a cancellation, so teeth all clean and shiny. Trying to forget that I've got to go back in a couple of weeks to have root canal work done (ouch!).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Ive also a dolly that needs some serious TLC - last present from my other grandad when I was 6! She needs re-stringing and a new 'mama' - she's got a lovely set of porcelain teeth though but no makers mark. Not sure whether to advertise her or donate her - actually dollies give me the willies!! I'm finding it so much more easy to be objective about sentimental 'stuff'

Sometimes the makers marks are at the back of the neck under the hair - have you checked there? :)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Slinky, snap! I have just spent an hour at dentist's. One more visit to go, next Thurs, then a large bill to pay.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport