PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So far today two floor to ceiling kitchen cupboards done resulting in two large bags for the CS - for goodness sake who needs two woks and about 100 chopsticks :)

And we only eat Chinese once in a blue moon.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had all the family round at the weekend for my birthday and while looking out documents for youngest from the filing cabinet I managed to tear up and discard quite a bit of paperwork.

Family clubbed together to get me a beautiful handbag (never had anything so posh) and I immediately transferred everything from my old bag and got rid of it. Seems dds hated my old handbag and said it was a disgrace :o

Someone came round yesterday to help with the garden and a lot of the hedge has been shortened and thinned down a lot and is in the wheelie bin.

Still trying to find a man with a van with a permit for the tip to get rid of the rubbish in the garage etc. I don't want to use the fancy waste disposal companies that cost a fortune.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elona - I hope that you don't mind me mentioning this, but be careful of the selection of "the man with the van" here in the Midlands there have been a lot of bods who claim to be able to dispose of things correctly and then pocketing the money and fly tipping everything in our beautiful countryside, which then costs the person who owns the land a big charge from the council for clearing it:eek:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maddie

That example is why I want to be really careful and use someone respectable if you know what I mean.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Yes, do make sure they are licensed - someone here in Essex was recently fined several hundred pounds plus costs, he'd paid £70 to a man to dispose of rubbish which had then been flytipped.

I introduced my friend to The Life Changing Magic of Tidying. She went through her wardrobe and donated two large plastic sacks of clothes to me! Many were too small and I've been very careful not to keep anything 'just because it fits' but there were some lovely - and joyful - tops from fashion brands that I'd never afford.

Everything else has gone to a friend who sells on eBay, two years ago when I cleared my wardrobe she raised enough to take her children away for a weekend. I think she'll do even better this time, she's struggling on a very low income so it's a big deal to her. I'm going to clear out some things to make room for the 'new' clothes, a few tops are really only fit for ragging.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had another blitz at shredding paperwork and another 6 large boxes went today to be recycled. I'm making space in a cupboard. Hopefully I can move things from a chest of drawers currently in my office into the cupboard and get rid of the CoD. I'm struggling a little with the idea of losing the CoD though as when we move I'm going to need some more drawer space as one being used for my clothes at the moment has to stay here as it's fitted. Not sure I can Kondo much more of my stuff so as not to need the drawer space. The new house only has some very small cupboards with hanging rails, no drawers.

Hmmm will have to think on that for a while longer.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Elona - when you find someone to take your rubbish make sure you see and check their licence - they should be more than happy to produce it. A local chap here collects scrap metal for funds for a woodworking club for youngsters. I asked to see his licence ( which he produced) and he told me he'd never been asked for it before - but it did mean I was happy to recommend him on a local website.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 balls of rather beautiful wool/silk mix sock yarn re-homed to two friends at knit and natter today. While I was still earning I accumulated a stash of yarn in readiness for my retirement, sadly I can no longer manage thin yarn and small needles so time for it to go to someone who will enjoy it:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't been Kondoing much the last couple of weeks, as we've had bad news about Dad's health, his cancer has spread further. He has an appointment tomorrow to discuss treatment options, but it will be palliative only. :(

I did get to the car boot sale a couple of weekends back and got rid of three boxes of stuff. I didn't have time to donate the rest of the stuff as needed to get back and unload car to go to a bbq party. Will attend the September car boot sale, and donate anything left over then. Only item in was a book (oops!)

Sold armchair on Eb@y and it was collected the next day, which was fab. Just waiting on my sister to collect a bike that is in the way, she will be over early next week.

Nothing KM related planned for a week now, as I have an assignment to write and I am dog sitting over the weekend.

I think I will be moving onto the kitchen next as the cupboards are a total mess. Went shopping and bought wholemeal flour, and already had one and a half bags as they were hidden away, and there are tins sat on the worktop as that shelf is full.

I have ordered a plastic garden storage box, once that arrives, I can transfer the gardening related stuff from the kitchen to the garden. This will free up a shelf in the kitchen (as kitchen is very small and have already got rid of the cooking equipment I can live without - goodbye flan dish and pizza cutter!) Hopefully will have space to put the folding chairs in the garden box for the winter too.

Also put out two bags of garden waste today, would have liked to do more pruning, but my back was complaining loudly. I am borrowing a spade next week and hope to be able to dig up the nettles and the annoying bush thing that sees it as a challenge to grow faster whenever I prune it (I have very little plant knowledge, and only have a fairly small gravelled courtyard and patio, with borders to the side!) Would love to have a tidy garden and some pretty pots and flowers next summer.
    Save
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Sorry to hear it, Callisto.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure