We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where do you buy plants online?

Options

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just lost 6 plug plants I was growing on today but can't blame the suppliers - the 3-year old boy decided to pull them out and throw them onto the lawn, tearing off the roots as he did so!

I would try and use somewhere reasonably local as the plants will be ready for the climate.

I'm lucky enough to be a professional and have this place 3 miles from my home https://www.craigmarloch.co.uk/ I reckon if you had access to someone who could open an account and bulk together with others for a large order you'd get some excellent plants.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Used Thompson and Morgan a few times.
    Pretty good.

I'm not particularly impressed with them.

All the plugs I ordered are almost dead despite my following their planting instructions, and I'm still waiting for the hanging basket I ordered to go with the giant fuchsia plugs, which were due to be delivered at the end of May but have arrived early. I called customer service to ask where the basket for the fuchsias was, and was told it would only arrive at the end of May even though the plants themselves were sent out early. When I explained that the items had been purposely ordered together as I wanted to plant the fuchsias in the hanging basket, I was told that they are not a package and I should therefore make alternative planting arrangements for the fuchsias, as the basket could not be sent until the end of May!
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Oh that's no good at all! :mad:
  • daffydog
    daffydog Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Used Thompson and Morgan a few times.
    Pretty good.

I do not think that Thompson & Morgan are good value and do not think that the quality of their plants are good. I would avoid them.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 May 2017 at 12:44PM
    Options
    I've used Thompson & Morgan, Suttons, Mr !!!!!!!!!!! etc and they've mostly been fine.

May be something to look at for next year, however - most mail order plants are either plug, bare root or sold in 9cm pots, and so are really too small if you want a mass of colour this summer.

Do you have a local street market? Ours has a couple of sellers who sell more mature plants at reasonable prices (and no P&P!)

Er - I don't know why Mr F.o.t.h.e.r.g.i.l.l.s has been auto 'corrected' to !!!!!!!!! ! Does it mean something rude that I'm not aware of!
  • mardatha
    Options
    It has to be online buying Silvertabby, only places anywhere near here are a couple of very expensive garden centres - and everything I've had off them always died.
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    I've ordered from Thompson & Morgan, had two orders and when the plug plants turned up they were dreadful. Put me right off ordering online so I will not be doing it again. I mentioned it in work and two friends said that they had had bad quality plants from T&M. Wish I'd asked them before I ordered.

I now buy from my local nursery and really enjoy going there and I'm grateful of the opportunity of asking for advice.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    only places anywhere near here are a couple of very expensive garden centres - and everything I've had off them always died.

Any reputable garden centre will guarantee their plants for at least a year.

If you have to buy from again, keep your receipts and complain if plants die.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I do the cheap deals from T&M, and am always prepared to grow on/ nurse indoors.

For anything else I usually buy Ready or Mega Ready from Jersey Plants, which have always been good quality and ready to go straight into the garden.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Mojisola that's a good idea, I will. I can remember 3 clematis, one snowball bush thing, and one ivy that all cost over a tenner each and all died within a few months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure