IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal First Letter

Options

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    One of the standard responses we've seen many times. What were you thinking of saying to them in replying?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • upthetics_2
    upthetics_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Something along the lines of it has been 6 months since the car stopped on the road it is a matter dealt with under bylaws and it has expired please stop using my details.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    upthetics wrote: »
    Something along the lines of it has been 6 months since the car stopped on the road it is a matter dealt with under bylaws and it has expired please stop using my details.

No harm in doing that. But are they pursuing you for penalties under bylaws (6 months) or contractual charges (6 years)?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• upthetics_2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Contractual I think

I am open to any good suggestions
  • upthetics_2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Was this a LBC ?
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    upthetics wrote: »
    Was this a LBC ?

No. BWL's LBC are headed "letter of claim"

I wouldn't bother replying to this latest letter. But if you get a final notice or LBC then just send a very short reply denying the claim for the reasons you have already stated.
  • upthetics_2
    Options
    Hi all

I did hope these people had gone away but today BWL rang my home telephone land line. I have never passed details of the number I am amazed they got my number.

My wife answered and passed nothing on.

Any action I should take?

Thanks again in advance.
  • si_dean
    si_dean Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I have received my first "BW Legal" letter on the back of ignoring 3 x previous (vehicle control services) letters basically stating that their so-called debt has been passed onto BW Legal.
    At this point, its also worth pointing out that my driving license and the old counter part paper bit (which is not used now days) is still registered to my parents address as ive never bothered to change it.

My car insurance obviously comes to my house but the DVLA element is still my parents house and this is were the 3 x letters from VCS were sent to, as everytime i visisted my parents house there would be a letter there to open! As i ignored the 3 previous letters i thought that would be the lot, but now they have gotten my actual address from somewere (i don't know were and isn't this surely a breach of any consumer protection rules??).
    With this in mind, technically speaking as this letter from
    BW Legal is the first from them, i could argue this is the first corrispodancr ive had alltogether about the fine full stop? Would this work or would they twist this somehow?

I was initially thinking of ignoring this first letter from BW LEGAL, but looking at lots of threads about this & other similar scenarios, the advice is to NOT IGNORE??

To summarise, The info on the BW Legal letter states the date on contravention is 02-04-17 and the balance is £100 pcn plus vehicle control services of £60 = total current balance of £160!

With the above info in mind, as this is the first lot of literature come to my current address, were do i stand with this.

To confirm, this is my first BW Legal letter "threatining"..... not saying its going to happen, but "threatining" me saying i "may" be liable for court fee's , further solicitors fees and CCJ's bla bla bla! The attached letter accompanying the BW legal letter is one from VCS, just confirming that as I have not made any arrangements to pay the previous amount(s) from them, this has been passed to BE LEGAL ..... and suprise suprise, my address now stated in the corner of their letter is my updated address were i love currently..... probably because BW Legal have now told threm of this.....
    Or it wouldnt suprise me if BW Legal have printed both letters off themselves and just dpcked the accompanying letter yo show VCS's watermark and updated my current address in there?

If i have a point to prove here (in ref to them sending previous corrispondance to my old parents house address) what do i need to do or say...... or what letter template should i use ??
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    si_dean, you won't get any help on this thread.

To try and deal with two incidents with two different posters can only lead to confusion.

Please start your own thread and have a read of the NEWBIES sticky/pinned thread.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    If i have a point to prove here (in ref to them sending previous corrispondance to my old parents house address) what do i need to do or say...... or what letter template should i use ??
    Their first port of call will always be to the address provided to them (the PPC and any of its subcontractors) by the DVLA. That seems to me to be the address you have never updated.

BWL now seem to be following recommended procedure where no reply to correspondence has been forthcoming, to use tracing facilities, before the issue of court proceedings and to avoid you being landed with a default CCJ against you, with a potential life changing wrecking of your credit rating.

Do you know that your PPC parking charge pales into insignificance compared to what the DVLA can (legally) fine you for not updating your details - £1,000. You need to get both your driving licence and your V5 updated - they must be done separately. Urgent, amigo!

The BWL letter could have come from DRP and is no more than another debt collection threat, but we can’t be sure. You need to make your own mind up as to what it is - if you think it’s from DRP, then ignore it; if you think it’s direct from BWL and it’s all but a LBCCC, then go to the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 and read up on how to handle and respond to one.

EDIT - just realised after reading KeithP’s input that this isn’t your thread - so start your own, but my advice above applies there. I won’t be repeating it.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport