Hope you're ok kirsty xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi Kitten, I'm ok, have just been super duper busy for the last week and hadn't even realised I hadn't updated :o

Relate was ok, it was the initial consultation (and I know this is going to sound ageist but) as lovely as the woman was, I felt quite uncomfortable telling someone my nans age about the graphic messages I had found. We will be matched with a counsellor now which could take 6 weeks, and at £50 a time it is going to be difficult to work into the budget, but I know we have to do it.

We have been taking our mind off things by doing bits around the house...(what I mean is spend money really....but it is in the household budget and is planned for)

We have ordered a new lounge suite for half the price we had allocated (It's on a 0% deal but we knew what we would be comfortable paying per month and it's much less so not too much damage done)

We have started scraping the flaking paint off the lounge walls in preparation to repaint (the people who owned the house had it replastered and didn't apply a mist coat so there are air bubbles all over the wall :mad:) Wallpaper for the chimney breast is picked out and paint chosen so we will be getting on with that soon.

The roof needs repairing as a ridge tile cracked and fell off a few weeks ago but all the roofing companies I have called refuse to repair and want to replace all the ridge tiles (at 75+ VAT per tile :eek:) which is just not going to happen at the moment. Finally found a friend of a friend who is going to replace the single roof tile for us at a cost of £75 cash - much better!

The garden is like an enchanted forest but because we have started cutting the bushes down they are all piled on the grass so we can't mow it :cool: best the neighbours love us when they look out of their windows :o

Hope everyone is ok, I've been slacking when it comes to keeping up with diaries but I will remedy this over the weekend (if painting doesn't take up my entire weekend!)

K xx
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Forgot to mention I have the eBay bug back....listed some shoes :eek: unheard of for me, but it's time to declutter properly...I'm working on it!
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad you're getting your jobs done. Clear out & eBay each room before decorating. You'll have a perfect clutter free home in no time xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Hello diary!

Once again I've been slacking on the diary front. I've spent the weekend upcycling a trunk that we found in a charity shop to go in the living room :D some eejit painted it brown then sprayed it black so it's taken AGES to sand it down but managed to crack on with staining and painting yesterday and it's looking good, even if I do say so myself!

Totals are still going down rather than up, so that's a bonus. More bits and bobs listed on ebay although I'm getting slightly disillusioned after a £130 pair of shoes worn once sold for 99p and shoes I bought for a fiver in a sale went for more than I paid for them :mad:

I had a hospital appointment about my acid reflux on Friday, and the long and short of it is they can't control it with medication so surgery has now become my only option. The consultant was awful though, couldn't answer my questions and then his phone rang so he took the call and pointed at the door for me to leave - I'd been waiting over 45 minutes and was in the room for less than 4 minutes :cool:

My lovely grandparents have offered to pay for me to see the surgeon privately so I get a full appointment and am not rushed, which is lovely of them so I have emailed his secretary and waiting to hear back from her.
    I am really grateful for the NHS, I just think it is massively stretched and (un?)fortunately with my dads job the whole family got BUPA cover until I was 24 and so I had got used to a certain level of service :o

Had the roofer in on Saturday and he has done a brilliant job, even though it was worse than first thought when he got up there. We went to a car boot on Sunday and got a new set of kitchen knives which I was dubious about but they are great! Also got a few trinkety type things to go with the new lounge decor for the grand cost of 20p. OH had never been to a car boot and this one was huge so he was left a bit dazed, and kept commenting that no wonder the UK doesn't have garage sales :p

Picking up some side tables tonight - the living room is going to look brilliant when it's done :)

I think that's the catch up done!

I'm off on a yacht on the solent this weekend for a very close friends hen do...I get very very seasick so I'm half excited and half dreading it...

Hope everyone is well! I will get back into the swing of regular posts, I promise!

K x
  • Kitten868
    Options
    Who told you that eBay made sense? There is no logic to eBay. Glad to see everything's keeping on an even keel.
    I don't think anyone expects to be shooed out of appointment with a hand gesture. Poor you. Glad your nan is on the case x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    That's so true Kitten, eBay defies logic! More 99p sales - between fuel to the post office and fees I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with these sales!

I may do a car boot instead and see if I'm any better off after that, every little helps but it's taking so much time to list, package and send that I'm losing the will slightly.

Have been on to the consultant and have another appointment to see him on 13th June, although his secretary is terrible at giving times so who knows when in the day it will be. I'm very glad not to have to see the same doctor who waved me out of the room.

Spent last night at my parents - my Dad is recovering from an operation and my mom is having quite a big op on Monday. It's the first time I won't have been at the hospital for her surgery, but staffing levels at work mean I have no chance of getting out so will just have to head over when work finishes.
    My dad has a second interview on Friday for a new job. I helped him to put together a presentation last night - 3 hours later we were finally finished :j keeping everything crossed as his current job is horrendous, and making him ill.

Heading off to the yacht tomorrow which I am looking forward to, lots of plans underway for while we are on there...mainly centred around prosecco, which is fine by me :rotfl:

Anyway, off to work so will update when I can - probably after the weekend now though.

K x
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am woefully bad at diary updating at the moment, there seems to be such a lot on that even doing the PAD counting up is a struggle fitting in the day!

I got offered a job last week, I was really torn about whether to take it or not so I made pros and cons lists and gave myself the weekend to think about it. It would have been £1500 extra a year, and a slightly shorter working day but would have involved a horrendous M6 and M5 journey to work (At the moment I only live just over a mile from work so walking isn't a problem although I often get a lift :o)
    I just thought about it and realistically I won't be much better off after paying our for fuel - £300 a year isn't going to help my pay the debt off much quicker and in the long run, when we have a little one I won't want to be travelling an hour each way to work and the extra childcare that will cost.

I've been having a real think recently and I think part of my problem for a long while has been some family history with attitudes to success. My grandmother on my dads side was a lovely woman towards the end, but when I was younger we didn't get on very well for numerous reasons. One being that to her, success was the job title you had, the size of your house and car and the salary you brought home. I've realised how much of an effect that has had on my Dads life and we barely saw him when we smaller - retail management used to pay very well but left no family time. In the long run my parents are even worse with money than me so all the extra salary didn't do them any good did it?

I've decided to concentrate on what I really want from life - to be happy, with a child or two, in a happy home - none of that is going to be helped by taking on more stress at work for little extra money. I hope I'm making the right decision :o

The hen do was fab - except I got seasick and sunstroke on Sunday so vomited regularly for over 12 hours :( very unpleasant, but the rest was a blast! Had a great time with a lovely bunch of girls and even enjoyed the sailing to Isle of Wight (I'd never been before) we moored in Cowes for the night and got a water taxi to a pub called the Folly Inn where the food was lovely, then back to the boat for drinks we had brought with us so not a terrible overspend but I did spend what I had budgeted, no extra payments from that money :(

My mom had her op yesterday and it was horrible not being there, I was just sitting at work waiting for updates and my dad wasn't so great with those, so we drive to the hospital last night where there was a witch nurse on duty who kept being very rude to my elderly nan - we were taking it in turns round the bed but my nan arrived without seeing the others in the waiting room so had come over whilst OH and I were already with mom, boy did she get told off about the 2 by the bed rule and was not at all helpful when we asked about how long she would be in for (my grandparents are staying in a local hotel whilst she's in so she can have visitors everyday, but are booking a day at a time so she just needed to know how many nights to confirm)

My Dad got the job that I did the presentation for him for, he's thrilled and so are we - his current job has been terrible for his heart - the stress is terrible as is the attitude.

PADs are still going, I'm annoyingly close to another milestone but I just don't have the spare money to get under it at the moment - roll on more ebay sales!!

Hope everyone is well!

K x
  • Kitten868
    Options
    Bit of a mixed bag. Really pleased your dad got the job. Hopefully the overall impact will be great for him and your mum :)
    I'm sending your mum my love and hope for a speedy recovery for her.
    My family is very much more focused on the material and careers. Big houses, flash cars, posh handbags... you know my sister is a right judgey pants. I prefer to focus on having enough and enjoying life. Like you say who cares? Friends and family are the most important.

Onwards and upwards to the next milestone. Surely there's one soon? Xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Certain members of my dad's family are obsessed with money and having more toys than everyone else... I made myself ill(er) trying to keep up with them when I was younger, but now I have chosen a writing life and thus have opted out of the focus on materialism, capitalism and consumerism. I'm not exactly a hippy living off the land, but I refuse to plunge myself into (more) debt just to have the latest gadgets and clothes. I focus on getting value from my money, either saving it/reducing my debt or spending it on things which bring me genuine pleasure.
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family