Spread betting!

Options
I was advised that some regulars on here spread bet. I know this is a mugs game. I've read that only between 10 and 20% of accounts make money and that addiction problems are higher with spread betting than with other forms of gambling.

So, with the intention of only risking my money after I fully research the options I thought I'd start by asking around on here.

First two questions:
-Is there a decent neutral online information resource anywhere?
-Who offers the best demo account? (atm I'm only interested in UK based accounts)

Please don't bother warning me off. I've read the warnings, I've got 1k to risk and I believe I can be relatively sensible! I will, if I decide to do it, risk only a couple of hundred at a time. Assuming this is possible. If it isn't possible or if risking only such a small amount is impractical then I will probably not do it at all.

Comments

• Catapult
    Catapult Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently compared IG, Finspreads and CMC Markets - winner in terms of interface and features for me is CMC, however IG offer far more markets. Finspreads is a bit too basic generally and has no demo account offering. Also, Finspreads order ticket is a bit clumsy and limited compared to CMC.

Just try them all out - there are plenty of others like Spreadco etc. Just don't treat them like an investment tool :-)
  • inversions
    inversions Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice!
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    inversions wrote: »
    I will, if I decide to do it, risk only a couple of hundred at a time. Assuming this is possible. If it isn't possible or if risking only such a small amount is impractical then I will probably not do it at all.
    Yes that is perfectly possible on a couple of hundred at a time. You could play indexes, exchange rates options and currencies etc.

On some of the markets with larger minimums, you would find that £200 is perhaps not enough because if you want to do it low risk, rather than on a lot of borrowed money, your £200 does not buy you enough of a stake. For example I could bet on the GBP/USD exchange rate market which is currently $1.7150 to the pound, or 17150 points. I could bet £0.5 a point. If the market goes down 400 points to 16750 (about 2.5%), I've lost my £200. If it went up to 17550 I have doubled my money. That's quite a big bet. Obviously if your starting pot of cash was £10,000 of play money, you don't have much / any risk of going bust because the exchange rate is not going to go to zero dollars to the pound. So the less risk you want to take, the more starting money you need to have.

Similarly you could bet £1 per penny of Marks and Spencer share price and if it dropped by nearly half (from 429p to 229p) you would have used up your £200. It is not going to drop by nearly half any time soon, in my humble opinion. So then maybe you could risk £5 per point. But then you can only afford for it to go down 10% or so (40 points) before you've lost all your money. So as you can see, depending on the markets and the minimum spread at your particular provider, it is perfectly possible to bet £200 without a high risk of losing it all. Alternatively you can bet with a higher risk of losing it all, if you want. Or spread yourself over more companies and more bets and you win some and lose some (hopefully don't lose all).

There are other routes to take positions on markets though, so you could buy out-of-the-money options and other things to get you chances of making reasonable wins if the markets moved by the right amount. And you can set stop-losses (or more expensive 'guaranteed' stop losses) to ensure you are unlikely to be on the hook for more than the £200. Unless you actually do want to be and are happy to keep paying margin calls every time they tell you your deposit is no longer covered by your cash in the account.

As a side note, if you have trained with a 'virtual' bigger budget for a week or few, you may have conditioned yourself to make larger bets which can be dangerous. But you said you don't want to be talked out of it, so go ahead and enjoy in moderation.

Of the above providers I now only use IG but if you find ones with demo accounts it does not hurt to demo several. And if you're just looking for a play with spreadbetting and not necessarily on financial instruments / investments, there are groups like Sporting Index which will let you place bets on football or cricket or golf or elections or whatever in a spreadbet style, which can be interesting.
  • hyposmurf
    hyposmurf Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    Friend of mine does this, he makes very small amounts each time.If he has a bad day he can loose a lot. In my limited experience you have to risk relatively high amounts of cash in order to make a small win.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wont find many neutral info sources on spreadbetting. The main thing to remember is you can lose more than you deposit as you are betting with high leverage.

I used to use Capital Spreads and they offer a demo account. I now use Finspreads just because they allow the smallest incremental bets on currency futures and I only use spreadbetting to hedge foreign currency exposure.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    The charges and fees per trade make spread betting a negative return.
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    I was advised that some regulars on here spread bet. I know this is a mugs game. I've read that only between 10 and 20% of accounts make money and that addiction problems are higher with spread betting than with other forms of gambling.

It's not really a "mug's game", it just needs some thought, and understanding of the risks.

I used to use it for my stock trading (as it's capital gains tax free), but regulations stop me doing that now.
  • inversions
    Options
    Thanks for all the info people. You have been very helpful. I'm still not sure I'm going to do it.

The thing for me is that I've been tracking my TSB shares since they started trading. It seems that every day at the end of trading they go up a bit and every morning when they start trading they go down a bit. That is why I'm thinking about it.
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the info people. You have been very helpful. I'm still not sure I'm going to do it.

The thing for me is that I've been tracking my TSB shares since they started trading. It seems that every day at the end of trading they go up a bit and every morning when they start trading they go down a bit. That is why I'm thinking about it.

If it was that simple then no-one would bother going to work. Instead just put on a long bet on TSB shares at 3pm, reverse it into a short position at the close, roll the position overnight and then close out when the market opened; rinse and repeat and spend the rest of the time driving a yacht up and down drinking champagne.
  • inversions
    Options
    What a great idea!

Look, I understand your sarcasm but I am not jumping into this with two feet. I'm looking into it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure