Water:Is it possible for a temporary disconnect?

Options
joeshmo
joeshmo Posts: 51 Forumite
edited 3 October 2016 at 11:58AM in Water bills
....such as when people take round the world holidays...

I contacted Yorkshire Water using their online contact form asking for costings on a possible temporary disconnect. Their terms of reference online do not mention that but they do mention the cost of an external stop !!!! close. There is no mention of a cost to open it back up.
I plan on taking an extended holiday abroad which may well be a few months but more than likely the year.. I do not use a meter.
I requested they supply answer by letter. I had been helpful- i stated when i would need it doing for, i asked for costings and said after reading their reply, i would get back in touch with the go ahead. I said i was aware of the lack of sewerage facility(toilet) that would occur in the short time between the temporary disconnection and leaving for it. Website Contact form message supplying my account, preferred reply method and request for information was 2nd September. There was an auto reply to email, on my registered with them. (On 9th September i received an email by a (text removed by MSE Forum Team), their Customer Relationship Manager, who suggested he had options more beneficial and to ring. My request for a letter where he could have put his options instead got an email saying to ring. I sent back that he could have put those options in the letter and please just add them to the letter I had requested with the information I had requested.. If someone asks for specific information why do things like this happen in life?
I sent my reply the same day to his email. As i write this it is gone 0630 on Thursday 15th September 2016 and yes i could have waited a few hours but would you not have assumed he would email me saying a letter was in fact on the way-he did not..
So putting what has gone on aside, which was stated to put you in the picture with a little background, is it possible for a temporary disconnection..i have looked at my bill and i monthly pay up to a date(which is listed) in March 2017 which may be the thing causing problems or him just trying to be extra helpful by not being helpful..

Comments

• joeshmo
    edited 15 September 2016 at 6:55AM
    Options
    Mentions a Stop ck close in their tor and I have planned taking into account my direct debit dates so i can check that payment would have not come out. Apologies for that open bracket which seems strange that i would have put but am leaving main one uneditted
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I gather that the purpose of your question is to not pay water charges during your absence for an undefined period, rather than safeguard your house from leaks?

If you had a meter fitted you would only pay the standing charges - around £30 a year. You then have the option to revert to your present charges within 2 years.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a water meter there is a tap on the pipe by the meter which you can turn off yourself but you need a key to do it. These keys cab be bought from most plumber's merchants or hardware stores such as Wickes or similar and some stores such as B&Q also sell them.

You could also shut off your stop tap which is usually but not always located under the sink.
  • joeshmo
    Options
    Thanks for the answers you 2..yes the reason i would like the temporary disconnect is so there is no monthly fee for the period that I am away...a year would amount to a fair amount of money when i am not using what it is paying for..
    When someone requests information and after the time it takes for 'when a letter should arrive' gets an email instead which only says to ring, I think its out of order especially when the information could have been added to the letter with the information i requested.
    Thanks for the info about if i had a meter i would only pay the standing charge-surely the same must apply if they safeguarded that water was not entering my house, and that is what i am assuming the payment for an external stop ck close represents-however it neither calls it a temporary disconnect(how difficult would that have been if it is the case) in their terms of reference, found online(yorkshire water) nor does it say if there is an opening back up cost. Hence why i came to you guys as they have ignored it seems my request to just answer what i asked and tell me the total fees involved after not answering me in the first place. (I was as helpful as possible in my request for information, stating the circumstances and stated i would be back in touch when i had weighed up the information they supplied(which they havent as of yet).
  • exiled_red
    Options
    How much are you paying as standing charges? Because if you are on a meter the usage would be nothing, so this would be all you are paying. I would imagine that by the time you have paid for someone to come out and disconnect before you go and then reconnect when you get back you probably don't save anything compared to just paying the fees.
  • joeshmo
    Options
    Ok, err YW has been in touch after i sent another contact form message. I have been told a letter is on the way as i initially requested.

Using my ipad i have pulled up their current charges pdf 2016/17 and it states about 56 pounds for a reconnection after temporary disconnection. (When i used my laptop previously, there was a different pdf i pulled up of yw charges and it did it the other way round and mentioned a cost for closing an external stop ck but didnt mention reopening and there was no mention of a temporary disconnect so i guessed thats what it was).
    No matter though, a letter is on the way from them.
    Thanks for the help :)

Prefer not to say the exact amount i currently pay but it's over that 56 pounds and its every month so it probably would be worth doing. I shall have a read of the letter when it arrives and let you know..
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    joeshmo wrote: »
    Prefer not to say the exact amount i currently pay but it's over that 56 pounds and its every month so it probably would be worth doing. I shall have a read of the letter when it arrives and let you know..
    It would probably be cheaper to get a meter fitted and then only pay when you're actually using the water.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • joeshmo
    edited 7 October 2016 at 2:29PM
    Options
    This is about the temporary disconnection but thankyou. Yes you are probably right and regularly read it correct? If not then just trust the readings are all correct.

Ok this is ongoing...sorry for the great delay in reply here..a probable tactic companies use was used which stopped me posting here. Suffice to say their rep.started it with the phrase "You may be pleased to know..." Sounds sorted right. However read on, am still just after the information to decide whether to go ahead with the process.

"You've commented that I've noted xxxxxxxxxx , which isn't the case." In an email. Assume what you want with the xxxx s it could be walk the dog on a tuesday, go disco dancing in somerset, i'm referring to the sentence implication. That sentence how does it sound to you? Does it sound like she is referring to a quotation of what she said? Does it sound like she was at fault for not mentioning something? A statement of what she had said with 'quotation marks around it' was given back to her. Or does it sound like i was at fault. I wasn't and actually had queried the very situation in the same email to which she had replied to at the end of the email and by querying it showing i was aware(that aswell as after the quoted comment) which states a full sentence from the letter including "....and you are right,..." But her email in reply and no back up, accompanying info, i think by that one statement puts a different picture on it. (Please note she follows that sentence i stated above in the same paragraph with what was actually the case.) And the issue IS accompanying information.

This whole thing could have been sorted if a letter was sent with the correct information WHEN i requested it. I am currently waiting on whether it is possible for either reducing the direct debit to zero for the period i am away OR could the direct debit just be stopped for the period? Another thing she mentions is 'after my account closed with them' which is a big whaaaaat? with me- am trying to get temporary disconnection information for an extended foreign holiday and she mentions an account closure on its own in the email totally out of context which i have never mentioned once..she mentioned it in the letter she sent me but it doesnt fit in with the rest of the stuff mentioned just before it in the email she sent today. I would have to be comparing it to the letter and even if i was it is just thrown in at the end of a sentence. It's like talking about Africa then throwing in a comment about Europe only at the end of the paragraph but not stating it like a comparable fact which is possible in my example but out of the blue unrelated thing unless you knew somehow in the current what she was referring to. Yes it is that weird.

Email states "It would be impossible to give you a date where you'll be perfectly square
    with us so you know when to shut your water off.! This is why I've advised
    the best way to do this is to keep your direct debit live and we can shut
    the water off on the date that is most convenient for yourself.! Any debit
    or credit can be taken or sent back to your bank account 5-10 days after
    your account is closed with us."
    (Temporary Disconnection for an extended holiday abroad)

Earlier Letter states "I agree that whilst you are away from your home for such a long time, water and sewerage charges will be a pointless cost. During this time I'll be able to close your account down and stop any charges. I'll do this from the date we come and turn off your external stop !!!! and your charges will start again from the date we turn this back on." It's a foreign extended holiday of limited length!! And no i have never once mentioned a closure of account. I would have thought it only needed direct debit and temporary disconnection sorting.

"What happens next:
    I've sent a copy of this in the post for your convenience.! Please let me
    know what date you'd like us to come to do the shut off and I'll arrange it"

(So it appears a closed account with an active direct debit??)
    (I would have thought keeping the account open whilst either the direct debit is stopped their end or the direct debit reduced to zero for the period with an open account would have made more sense as it's my house and where once there was water, will need water reapplying..)
    (Sure what she says sounds helpful but reread the second paragraph)
  • joeshmo
    Options
    Oh and for information there were 5 subheadings in her letter, and that one thing was the only major pick up point of quite a bit of positive good information and that one point was what i queried and needed clarifying if it was the case.(2 of the subheadings were 'what happens next' and 'any questions' of the 5 though). Sorry her email reply to my email gave the impression I was at fault imho and i had queried her letter stating it!
  • joeshmo
    edited 7 October 2016 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Apologies all if i sound like I am making this a major issue but i have several things going on and a delay process seems to be in operation.
    At the end of July, i sent in an enquiry to my home telephone company. It was handled badly and i sent in a complaints and pen highlighted action letter on Friday 12th August (sent rec.del) with what i wanted still not done or clarified that it would be. They ignored that letter such that i had to get back in touch on Monday 22nd August 2016 by live chat to receive an email same day after it saying they had received my letter. Only middle of this month(Sept. that i could see it was actioned yet the complaints were still brushed under the carpet with the dirty ploy of one of their sales executives ignored and other bad practice by their email reps(as opposed to what a rep. (text removed by MSE Forum Team) just deemed could have been handled better. So totally unsatisfactory.
    I now have YW not giving the expected answer. Think about it. A direct debit. A need for the water and sewerage to be stopped temporarily and you not pay for what you are not using. I will be abroad so surely a we will pay you back afterwards not the preferred thing(and no their letter does not state that-i showed you exactly what it says-what is its context? I have asked for what makes sense to me-that is the dd is either zero or not in force whilst i am on holiday whilst my account stays active as intention will be to return to the same house(i own it for crikeys sake)-remember they sent me a please ring email after i'd waited a full 7 days, and was expecting my contact form enquiry answered by letter. Their subsequent email employs brushing under the carpet like my phone company, with it referring to my being unhappy by the email reply reference the (temporary) disconnection request with it NOT saying that email from them said zip all, just to bleeping ring, with you not forgetting i requested a letter.
    I have edf energy- an operative said i could arrange a meter reading for both my meters(its been 2 years by their own comment since they took the reading) by their account facility or ring. I had contacted initially giving full reason as to why what i wanted sorting and by how (email) referring to previous experience (messed around with over the phone- cancelled by them over my answering machine 30mins to an hour after booking- more to it, i dont think the girl thought i would accept the full day window appointments(with an s) for gas and electricity-which should have enabled it and needed a single reply. Was given something else. Anyway i did what he said and lo and behold it was not the case. So i went into their live chat and asked where it was in the account facility(all i could find was a smart meter thing) then that i be sent an apology(because he was wrong) and will ask him for the rest again and stated thankyou but i would like that person dealing with it so it did not get complicated. I was sent such and that op. THERE said that i could use their live chat and phrased it as if it was a courtesy for the method for the appointment. I did and a (text removed by MSE Forum Team) there mentioned the its been 2 years and i had been pencilled in for the end of the month, and to await a letter through the post. I started whole request on 5th Sept.and the 14th Sept. was (text removed by MSE Forum Team) stating that i had been pencilled in. Today is Saturday 24th September and i have NOT received that appointment letter. Yes i have just recently got back in touch. Note i have been sending in photo app shots apart from their last meter readings and before that was providing the readings by entering the numbers(without a hitch). Its been a while so wanted it doing by them again for good housemanship and security purposes.
    Guys its delay, delay, delay...Yesterday i paid off what i have left on a 0% agreement on an ipad pro. I need to check that has been done due to previous nonaction complications which cost me 12 pounds, and i took action to make sure everyone knew it was actionned the 2nd time. And then i still need to get in back in touch to cancel the agreement by Paypals own saying. It was a deal they offered with Apple. And again there is more to it-my message center having a glitch-this not related to the nonaction complication in any respect.
    So i hope you understand when i say i am slightly concerned when i still have water, utilities(which should be a sitting and waiting game only at this stage) to sort and ALSO (3)home insurance, (4) an unknown Time Inc. UK Ltd direct debit on my direct debit bank listing, last payment November 2015 for £47-99 which i have not got an answer to(2 emails have been sent), (5) need to create an email alias specifically for receiving a message about my house as i own it and dont want it selling from under me depending on how long my holiday is for(remem as an example peeps regularly travel the world)-email name specific for what it represents and as such only for that purpose, tried to do it earlier and long story short, wouldn't let me until i had waited a month(27th Sept. I can do it apparently)-not a biggie but still, (6) i need to check the .info expiry on a domain name i own(i know the .com is safe because i did it past the standard so know it is fine), (7) holiday, i need to look at aswell as clothing, look at camping stuff(poss more to buy- for fortnights/3 weekers/gaps between), thinking between seasons(dont ask) for holiday in a holiday, (8) HSBC- need to look at their instant account balance facility- the one advertised on uktv, (9) mifi/phone/data- need to look at 3 forms of internet access i own, are all treated as if 'at home'(ie 3 company who advertise such). Around this i have sorted tickets and accom but need to pick up tickets. I have been told by the bank that i could not have my credit card blocked(which currently stands it zero) for my holiday so have asked them to put on my file that it stands at zero(was duly checked by a Joe Derbyshire), will be leaving my CREDIT CARD at home and have requested any usage of, irrespective of location be fully investigated, which they did.

So sorry all, this situation which is occurring ref the utilities has me worried-it has the potential to stall or cause other things to be neglected and should have been sorted after the first message with a single reply and it then being sorted for the water.
    (And for those interested to know i still have 5 years on the passport-have checked)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure