How much do you spend on food?

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    Yes I cook from scratch, meaning from scratch. My DH is recovering from cancer so is home. Yes to meal planning.

The only big difference I ever can see is stuff like when people do rubber chicken. I might save the carcass for stock, but the chicken is one meal with maybe a few scraps. Xxx

Bloomin 'eck - I eat a lot of meat but a whole chicken for only two people seems excessive even to me!
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 April 2016 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Excluding alcohol I would think we spend roughly £75 per week.
    This includes cat food and litter and treats (one spoiled cat!) and all cosmetics, meds, newspapers, toiletries, cleaning and laundry products, for two adults.

We do live well eating good quality food including meat and fish.

We also eat lunch out approx once per week and spend a further £25 a week on alcohol.

Have worked hard for 40+ years and have no intention of begrudging ourselves anything!

A whole chicken would provide us with approx 4- 6 meals and the carcase rendered down for homemade soups and recipes.
    :A Goddess :A
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    A whole chicken will do us at least 3 meals (me & OH).
    1 breast between us for one day, with roast & new potatoes and lots of different veg.
    Same for following day.
    Legs & wings another meal with home-made wedges.
    Pickings will probably do us a sandwich, may be enough to put in a risotto.
    Then the carcass in a pan to make stock.

Do you buy very small chickens or eat a lot of meat?

I wouldn't split a breast into 2 portions unless it was a very big chicken so, for me, an average chicken is 4 portions ( 2x breast, 2x legs) with scraps as treats for the cats.

If I were worse off (as I have been in the past) the scraps would make a risotto for 2, as long as you were adding cheese to it.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 April 2016 at 6:56PM
    Options
    I wouldn't split a breast into 2 portions unless it was a very big chicken so, for me, an average chicken is 4 portions ( 2x breast, 2x legs) with scraps as treats for the cats.

If I were worse off (as I have been in the past) the scraps would make a risotto for 2, as long as you were adding cheese to it.

Now that is something I do. A single chicken breast from a medium 1.5kg chicken would be at least 8 ounces/225 grams of good quality low fat meat so I do share that between two. It's far too big for one. I would split a breast from a large 2kg chicken (maybe about 12 ounce/340 grams per breast) between 2 adults and 2 younger children.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 April 2016 at 7:00PM
    Options
    If I had a smallish chicken, I'd expect to get two meals from each breast, one thigh per meal, then the rest of it would be for chicken soup. So that'd be 6 meals plus the soupy stuff ... the soup'd probably do for 3-4 meals though. Hard to work it out.

But I don't buy chickens because .... I can't bear to touch/see raw meat, not to be anywhere near fat, bone, skin, gristle, etc .... it all just grosses me out :)

Growing up we used to have a Sunday roast chicken that weighed 1lb 15oz (I can distinctly remember my parents pawing through the freezer section for one EXACTLY the right weight) .... and that'd do 4-5 of us for Sunday roast lunch, then it'd be used for another meal Mon/Tue, probably chicken casserole.

1Kg is 2.2lb so it was way under 1Kg.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

But if you have lots of veg, isn't a couple of slices of breast meat sufficient?
    It is to us.

We are not in any way financially stretched but my OH doesn't like piled up plates and whilst I could probably eat a whole sliced roast chicken breast to myself, I'm happy to go with what he's happy with.
    When we have a roast dinner, the plates are full of different things.

It works for us.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    I just don't and can't understand how some of your spends are so low. 2 adults and 2 toddlers here, one in nappies. (A cat, two hamsters and a budgie too!). We spend on average £150-£200 a week for everything except personal toiletries.

I set myself a budget this week for spending £100 when we did our main grocery shopping yesterday, still went over by about £20. Thing is that's a top up shop.
    Well everyone's different, but I think some things that you see as necessities, I probably consider to be luxuries that I'm not interested in anyway. Having said that, with an OH that's had a serious illness and 2 LOs you need to prioritise diet in a way I don't.

The reason I don't spend a great deal is because:
    - There is only one of me
    - I eat once a day
    - I eat out frequently (under great sufferance, its all part of the job but I dislike it intensely) - on those days I don't eat at home at all.
    - I don't eat meat / fish, very rarely do I eat eggs.
    - I cook in bulk and freeze for when I do want to eat something hot. Usually soup.
    - I have a pantry full of non-perishable staples and condiments that I have bought but rarely used over the years.
    - I often don't have a list in mind, but buy YS items if available. Often salad, and 8/10 times bakery goods - which then go in the freezer. Milk is also a good freezable item. I'd much rather buy stuff that I'll use than it go to waste in a supermarket crusher.
    - I get my fruit and veg from a local trader, then top up from Aldi / Lidl.
    - I walk straight past the treats and processed foods, they're not even on my radar during my weekly supermarket shop. If I want something, I make a special trip out for it - there's a 24/7 supermarket culture here in London, the only time I might be stuck is Sunday 11pm - Monday 6am.

Having said that, I'm still nowhere near PN's budget. She is incredibly disciplined!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Having said that, I'm still nowhere near PN's budget. She is incredibly disciplined!
    HAH!
    Well, PasturesNew is probably going to have a number of people visiting who are happy to sit on the floor in the dark, eating chips (with wooden forks :D) & generally having a right good chinwag.
    Eh, PasturesNew? :)
    Ref a thread from the Marriages board. :)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I had a smallish chicken, I'd expect to get two meals from each breast, one thigh per meal, then the rest of it would be for chicken soup. So that'd be 6 meals plus the soupy stuff ... the soup'd probably do for 3-4 meals though. Hard to work it out.

But I don't buy chickens because .... I can't bear to touch/see raw meat, not to be anywhere near fat, bone, skin, gristle, etc .... it all just grosses me out :)

Growing up we used to have a Sunday roast chicken that weighed 1lb 15oz (I can distinctly remember my parents pawing through the freezer section for one EXACTLY the right weight) .... and that'd do 4-5 of us for Sunday roast lunch, then it'd be used for another meal Mon/Tue, probably chicken casserole.

1Kg is 2.2lb so it was way under 1Kg.

That would be considered a spring chicken which never sees the light of day. Slaughtered at less than 28 days of age. A farmer can make more money over a year selling birds at such a young age.

A normal free range chook is slaughtered at least 98 days - 14 weeks of age at over 2kg in weight.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But if you have lots of veg, isn't a couple of slices of breast meat sufficient?
    It is to us.

We are not in any way financially stretched but my OH doesn't like piled up plates and whilst I could probably eat a whole sliced roast chicken breast to myself, I'm happy to go with what he's happy with.
    When we have a roast dinner, the plates are full of different things.

It works for us.

I don't much like most veg - I certainly couldn't eat a whole plateful.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family