Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As teddysmum says, it's probably worth checking energy tariff to see if its a good deal, but no she's not obligated to continue the contract if she wasn't party to it when your dad was alive. UW may well be able to make a claim against his estate though.

As an aside, never heard of their lightbulb replacement service before, the marketing is pretty dubious, 'Free lightbulbs worth £500'? If you live in a supermarket or a stadium perhaps!

And what exactly do they mean by saying the bulbs use 15 times less?

No way to get a quote without handing over personal details though so its possible its the usual marketing tripe and the service itself is actually a good deal. Wouldn't bet on it though.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »

No way to get a quote without handing over personal details though so its possible its the usual marketing tripe and the service itself is actually a good deal. Wouldn't bet on it though.

I would bet, with confidence, it is not a good deal
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely the contract is now void due to the death of one of the signatories.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @harrybee1
    I would suggest going to the Citizens Advice Bureau for help and assistance in this matter.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    More information provided here. I suggest the OP reads the section on energy bills:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/dealing-with-debt-when-someone-dies/bereavement-and-debt.aspx
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Harrybee1 wrote: »
    she has been left nothing in the estate.

Is she happy with that situation?

As his wife, she has first call on the estate. If nothing was left to her in his will, she can make a claim on the estate.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if the daughters are the ones who switched the father to UW, that is very low indeed
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Moved into rented property last day of November
    Landlady swears how good u w are. I swear for another reason:

Gave readings in Dec / Jan . Readings not recognised .
    I gave direct debit details, as it's best to pay monthly , even if it's an estimated bill.
    So, last weds( exactlyn1,week ago) an u w person was supposed to change the meter. The day before , I receive a phone call- cancelled.

Forward onto today, appointment booked in again for 8am-12
    Miserable man turns up. Took pictures of meter and meter readings.
    I did this over a dozen times by the way , at various times.

Man goes back to van to 'look for meter/make a phone call'
    15 mins later, returns ..cannot do the job .
    It's not totally his fault . The people in the office should have given him a meter to install.
    So, I sent email to u w telling them they are worse than useless , and that in a few months time I will be with British gas.
    Also that the direct debit will be cancelled , and I will pay over the phone. The lady I dealt with has been polite and professional , but working for the wrong company . I told her that .
    We spoke on the phone.
    I politely sent a text to landlady airing my concern about u w and told her if I was here all the time u w would be dumped .
    You get the picture
  • wongawonga
    Options
    Harrybee1 wrote: »
    My farther in law has died and had signed a contract with Utility Warehouse to include energy, light bulbs etc. His daughters want my mum (second marriage) to take over all the bills in her name. she has been left nothing in the estate. When she spoke to utility warehouse they said she couldn't cancel without penalty due the light bulbs and type of contract he signed. Them cost for her to get out of this are around 800 which she cannot afford. She has lost her husband and the stress is making her ill. He looked after all bills and now they expect her to take them over in 8 days time. Can this company demand that she carry on with a contract she did not sign or really know about ?

Did she speak to the dedicated bereavement team

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/help/general/answer/account-holder-passes

If not suggest she does so.
  • wongawonga
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    As teddysmum says, it's probably worth checking energy tariff to see if its a good deal, but no she's not obligated to continue the contract if she wasn't party to it when your dad was alive. UW may well be able to make a claim against his estate though.

As an aside, never heard of their lightbulb replacement service before, the marketing is pretty dubious, 'Free lightbulbs worth £500'? If you live in a supermarket or a stadium perhaps!

And what exactly do they mean by saying the bulbs use 15 times less?

I found this on their website re the Free ? Light Bulbs.

This service is only available to owner-occupiers who take our Double Gold bundle. We'll change all the light bulbs in your home provided we have an LED equivalent, and your existing bulbs are safely and easily accessible. The typical value of £300-£500 is based on 39 LED bulbs at an average retail price of £8 plus a £100 charge for fitting. Lifetime Guarantee only applies provided you have your landline, broadband and mobile services with us on the date you request a replacement; otherwise a three year warranty applies. Other exclusions apply (see full T&Cs). 15% saving based on a typical household using 3,100 kWh of electricity, where 39 traditional light bulbs are changed to LEDs, with an average reduction of 45W per light bulb (eg. from 50W to 5W) and where each LED light bulb is used for an average of 45 minutes per day. If we fit new LED light bulbs in your home and you cease to take your landline, broadband or mobile services from us within the following four years, you’ll need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the LED bulbs we provided. The size of this contributions varies between £2 - £8 per bulb, depending on how long your bulbs have been installed. This offer can be withdrawn at any time.

† Available to homeowners and tenants that are over 30 years old and take a smart meter from us.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback