Pawning Computer

Options

Comments

• RDG
    RDG Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    Completely off topic - but follow the autotrader link above, enlarge pics 2 and 6 and look closely at the door panels! (I don't think those photos were taken on a cold January day!)

Haha brilliant spot
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2015 at 10:40AM
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Nonsense.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1019650/Mini-smart-car-earns-marks-safety-crash-tests.html

My husband is a mechanic and we regularly drive smart cars as his garage has a few as courtesy cars. They are very safe, VERY economical and great fun to drive!

The tests are only relevant if you hit an equivalent weight car at about 60mph combined speed or less.

Crashing anything against a concrete block relies on Newton's third law ....

If a heavier car crashed into you at a combined speed of more than 60mph, the NCAP rating isn't worth used toilet paper.

Anyway, I have done my research on this.
    - You can choose to believe me +/- backed up with your own research
    - Disbelieve me
    - Do your own research and draw your own conclusions

I won't be smashing my head against a brick wall trying to explain this again and again (as you can see I have participated in one too many discussions of a similar nature).

I will never let anyone in my family drive anything smaller than a Golf on a regular basis (unless the car won't leave city limits and 40mph and lower speed limits).
  • suicidebob
    Options
    Welshie82 wrote: »
    A 2004 Toyota Avensis 2.0, I'm looking to downsize and really like the VW Up! as a small city runner. So I've priced up a 2015 VW Up! with the dealer, the monthly cost of the car payments is the same as the Avensis but everything else is a fraction of the running costs of the Avensis.

Can't afford 2004 car, but 2015 car easily within budget.

What is this sorcery??

Seems like you're about to make one more horrendously bad financial decision.
  • Mirno
    Mirno Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Have you read up on hypermiling?
    If you can drive your current car more efficiently, that may take some of the immediate pressure off too. While a smaller more economical car is always a good thing, driving the one you have better is a good thing too.
  • Welshie82
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone, I've decided not to proceed with this idea.
  • bluelass
    bluelass Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My hub is considering replacing our Fiesta (2005 reg) with a new Peugeot 205. Peugeot have a just add fuel option you put a deposit of £400 down then pay £180 a month for a 3 door 205 the tax and insurance is included hence the just add fuel tag. There are other Peugeot models in this deal from £150 to £270 a month depending on which model you want. Its a three year deal after which you can pay the outstanding balance and the vehicle is yours or trade it in for a up to date one and start the monthly payments again. Vans are included in this deal a friend of ours is a sparky and he took advantage of it. Pity I cant drive again as yet due to my seizures.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • RDG
    RDG Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    My hub is considering replacing our Fiesta (2005 reg) with a new Peugeot 205. Peugeot have a just add fuel option you put a deposit of £400 down then pay £180 a month for a 3 door 205 the tax and insurance is included hence the just add fuel tag. There are other Peugeot models in this deal from £150 to £270 a month depending on which model you want. Its a three year deal after which you can pay the outstanding balance and the vehicle is yours or trade it in for a up to date one and start the monthly payments again. Vans are included in this deal a friend of ours is a sparky and he took advantage of it. Pity I cant drive again as yet due to my seizures.

It will be a 208 as the 205 has not been built for some time. Just add fuel is actually a lease contract, with maintenance and insurance included. I have seen that they do offer a final payment as well, but Ive never looked at the t&cs on such deals.
    But they are unlikely to offer value for money as you are paying for the maintenance and insurance in the rental price.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad to see you're not going with this idea.

I can't understand why if loans are a no go how you would get a finance agreement - it's a loan too basically.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    suicidebob wrote: »
    Can't afford 2004 car, but 2015 car easily within budget.

What is this sorcery??

Seems like you're about to make one more horrendously bad financial decision.

This was my thinking.

It's probably worth sticking with the Avensis until you have the money for something smaller.

I know quite a few people with them, and from what I've heard they're completely bulletproof on reliability and (for a large car) cheap to run.
    💙💛 💔
  • Soleil_lune
    Soleil_lune Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    Completely off topic - but follow the autotrader link above, enlarge pics 2 and 6 and look closely at the door panels! (I don't think those photos were taken on a cold January day!)

Can't see any pics. Do you have a link?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport