I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi AC. Happy New Thread. :rotfl:

Wishing you all the best for a FAB-U-LOUS new life!!
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    AC, carpets I agree with Enthusiastic - as long as they are not badly worn, wait until you've painted and barring mishaps, get professionally cleaned and maybe use mats for colour or to prevent heavy wear, failing that replace with new underlay and carpet - no fitter worth his salt is going to lay new carpet over old!

Fridge Freezer - built in should be easy enough to replace with like for like size (by local electrician if wired directly to wall).

Venetian blinds - have you ever had them before? They are a pain in the butt to keep clean and fiddly to operate. If you must have blinds I'd go with verticals as far easier to operate and keep clean, but you know my views already regarding blinds versus other ways. Whatever you do you'll still need some decent Blackout curtains in the bedroom you will use, and poles if they have gone missing.

Wardrobes - I disagree about fitted, your paying a lot for looks and if you move again you can't take them with you! Don't know how you feel about pine but here's a couple of companies that supply good quality units:

https://www.pine-oak.co.uk/

http://www.pinesolutions.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/wardrobes/

So far so good!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Just a thought AC, you say it is grubby and many. Does the kitchen and bathroom really need replacing or would a jolly good clean do the job?

There's a better atmosphere in a creamstorium tbh .
    The bathroom would cause anyone to have mood swings if I have to be honest .
    The kitchen ? I think,I've got s happy compromise really .
    New worktop . New doors l new flooring .
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi AC. Happy New Thread. :rotfl:

Wishing you all the best for a FAB-U-LOUS new life!!

She's baack ! :)
    Hello LL . Thanks. Hope you are well:)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with harz re venetian blinds, and nets, in my opinion, are just dust traps, and a bit "old-ladyish", even if they are called voiles these days!
    Plans for the kitchen sound good. Have you considered putting the fridge/freezer on freecycle (or freegle as it is called round here now)? If it only needs a clean then there is usually someone who will take it on and they usually will collect quite quickly - saves having to pay someone to collect it (my council charge for this now although you used to have 1 bulky collection free per year).
  • another_casualty
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    AC, carpets I agree with Enthusiastic - as long as they are not badly worn, wait until you've painted and barring mishaps, get professionally cleaned and maybe use mats for colour or to prevent heavy wear, failing that replace with new underlay and carpet - no fitter worth his salt is going to lay new carpet over old!

Fridge Freezer - built in should be easy enough to replace with like for like size (by local electrician if wired directly to wall).

Venetian blinds - have you ever had them before? They are a pain in the butt to keep clean and fiddly to operate. If you must have blinds I'd go with verticals as far easier to operate and keep clean, but you know my views already regarding blinds versus other ways. Whatever you do you'll still need some decent Blackout curtains in the bedroom you will use, and poles if they have gone missing.

Wardrobes - I disagree about fitted, your paying a lot for looks and if you move again you can't take them with you! Don't know how you feel about pine but here's a couple of companies that supply good quality units:

https://www.pine-oak.co.uk/

http://www.pinesolutions.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/wardrobes/

So far so good!

Thanks harz:)
    Pine is pretty cool. The white wardrobes are not my cup,of Horlick tho
    A bit too granny for me .
    Will look into vertical blinds.
    Yep, will get the carpets deep,cleaned when painting is done .
    Will get rugs for each of the rooms .
    Thanks
  • another_casualty
    Options
    While I remember ( and hopefully not boring you too,much), there are a couple of properties on right move . 1 in woodbine close ( remember that?)£399,950 iAlso belle vue road £219,950
    Woodbine has been reduced . Belle vue , is the one the landlady wss talking about . Would take £210,000.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 April 2017 at 2:03PM
    Options
    She's baack ! :)
    Hello LL . Thanks. Hope you are well:)

Yes she's back..... but SHE is going to refrain from giving you any decorating/renovation tips....

SHE Has done that in the past but has given that up as a sheer wast of time and effort.

SHE thinks you are chucking money around "like a man with no arms" but it's none of HER business. :rotfl: Yes I know it is nonsensical phrase but it's an expression we Derbyshire folk use when we think someone is wasting money.

(I'm allowed to say this because it is a Money saving website after all). :rotfl:

In all seriousness I think you are rushing things. You will make mistakes and spend far more money than is necessary. Money that could be us d for other things.......an extended sabbatical, a good holiday, or just fun stuff.

May I suggest you hang around the "In My Home" board. Maybe post up some of your plans and ideas. You will get loads of money saving tips and ideas.

Still as I say none of my business really but I do think it's a.pity you won't slow down and take a more considered approach. You could save £££££s

I am speaking from experience here. In the past I have rushed to get work done and it does cost more if you try and work at speed.

I'm well.enough, but.not fully fighting fit so just pacing myself, lots of sleep, rest, healthy eating and gentle exercise. Have started swimming.

Currently sat in the garden soaking up some much needed vitamin D.
  • Debsnewbudget
    Options
    Subscribed
    Lots of good deas here already
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, I'd get a decent quality vinyl rather than tiling. It will be cheaper (due to the small size, you may be able to get an end of roll at a good price) and it will feel warmer underfoot.

The carpets I'd just get cleaned. They're an ok colour and not patterned and you said they're in good condition.

I'm not keen on venetian blinds due to the fact that they're dust traps, but I also don't like the vertical blinds as they remind me of office decor.
    However, they both offer privacy whilst letting in light. I've never seen those vertical blinds in any other colour than cream, but you can get venetian blinds in a range of colours. We had silver ones in our last house.

Fitted wardrobes, the problem with them, apart from cost, is that they limit how you arrange the other furniture in the room. I've rearranged the furniture in my bedroom a couple of times since living here. I like the flexibility.
    Ikea's Pax wardobes are very customisable and easy enough to build.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure