I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    What exactly in a salad are you allergic to? Salads don't have to be made from lettuce, cucumber and tomato. There are all sorts of leaves and many vegetables that can be used raw to make a salad.

Hate the smell of onions / garlic etc. Spring onions are evil.
    Got force fed salad at school when I was an infant . Long story .
    The good thing is that dinner lady is probably dead now .
    Such a cheery post on this Friday morning :)
    I’ll get by . I always do . Almost 55 and still going strong .
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, to be honest, you're not still going strong are you?

If you want to be healthy, you need to eat healthily, and that includes eating plenty of veg, preferably including some raw, as it loses nutrients when cooked.
    So you're not actually allergic to salad, you just choose not to eat it because you were made to eat it as a child. I used to hate peas and mushrooms as a child, and although I wasn't forced to eat mushrooms, I did have to eat peas. I love both now. I also love brie, and other cheeses that I hated as a child. Our tastebuds change as we get older, and it's good to try new things out.

Open your mind and try a new thing each week. If you find you really don't like it, after eating it 2 or 3 times, then try something else. As I said, salad doesn't have to be lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. My favourite salad leaf is watercress, because it's very peppery and I love pepper. Sliced, raw red pepper is juicy and crunchy, grated carrot is sweet and crunchy, baby leaves mixed salad bags are good too.

You're missing out on so much tasty food, that's good for you to boot!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Well, I’ve just bought loads of nuts / seeds/ white meat . No bread which is very unusual . It’s a start. Can’t get yogurt just yet as I still have this annoying cold . Having said that , that’s the only symptom so far of my prednisolone reduction .

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my arrival in poole . A nice crisp sunny day today. Not like storm Angus last year .
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 November 2017 at 3:15PM
    Options
    I eat salad most days but rarely bother with commercial lettuce because it is largely tasteless. The only time I prepare it myself is if I grew a few leaves myself, which is dead easy and which taste much nicer. You don’t even need a garden. If someone serves me lettuce then of course I eat it.

So unless you have stomach issues with leaves and you really don’t like lettuce then try different sorts of greenery. You can grow you own “green stuff”from sprouting seeds. You can make salads without garlic and spring onions. (Although you are missing a tasty treat but each to his own:rotfl:).

I agree with Gigervamp - don’t let childhood memories stop you from trying new foods. Our tastebuds do change. Like most kids I had a sweet tooth, now I don’t like sweet foodstuffs. They are just too sweet and sickly. I only discovered I liked curry when I hit my 30s. I tried it in my teens and didn’t like it. A decade on I tried again and loved it. So yes our food preferences can change over time. My late husband was in his 40s before he liked olives and discovered the joys of a double espresso.

Be open minded. If you are cutting out bread then you need to make sure you are eating carbs in the form of fruit and veg. If you only live on meat, dairy, nuts and seeds then you will be cutting out too many food groups, you will miss vital nutrients. And, without being indelicate, you could end up with bowel problems.

I eat a Paleo diet because of stomach problems. I believe I mentioned I never touch grains. I just can digest them. I do eat dairy because I think we need some for good bone health but I’ve found Lacto free easier to digest.

I am also supposed to avoid foods belonging to the nightshade family. But I do cheat a bit there without any dire effects but even then I use common sense. Green bell peppers upset my digestive system, but I’m ok with red, yellow and orange ones. It’s all about trial and error.

However so although I eat no starchy carbs I do make sure I get enough carbs by eating plenty of fruit and veg, salads etc. You need some carbs for energy and a wide variety fruit and veg in your diet will ensure you don’t miss out on essential vitamins and nutrients.

AC a healthy diet is a varied diet and when you cut out food groups then you have to make sure you compensate. It’s all about balance. You simply must widen your food choices otherwise you aren’t going to get fully well again.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks LL:) very insightful . I’m gonna adjust slowly and see what happens . Food for thought .

Just had a mad hour and moved the sideboard into the bedroom from the boiler room . This also entailed me moving my bed into another position in 5he room. It does look better , it has to be said .
    Friend is coming tomorrow to give us assistance with putting up some pictures . The flat is getting more tidy and functional now. Almost there .
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    AC, long time no post - are you alright, did Black Friday get you in it's clutches?
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 9:30PM
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    AC, long time no post - are you alright, did Black Friday get you in it's clutches?

Hello harz:)

Yes, it’s been awhile hasn’t it ? Yes Black Friday caught me for one or two things , but overall I’ve been very good:rotfl:

Whats been going on: last Sunday got very drunk with my friend . Too much for a Sunday . Last mon and weds gym with instructor .
    ( will be going tomorrow for another p t session )

Slowly changing eating habits for the better.

I’ve noticed my flat although warm and hot in the summer, is very cold already over the last few days . I don’t normally put it on unless absolutely necessary , but then again I’m not living in humid London .
    I have condensation over all windows in flat and will invest in a good dehumidifier asap.
    I have been coughing a lot over the last couple of nights. Not sure if this is reduction in my prednisolone or because of cold flat .

Speaking of flat, the neighbours are careless with the postbthat comes in . They just chuck it on 5he floor among the junk flyers etc .very annoying. I have been keeping the communal area immaculate but I found important mail for me hidden in rubbish on the floor.
    Not amused. So I just take mine now and not bother with theirs.
    I’ve tried to place it neatly but what’s the point ?
    One of the neighbours upstairs is a *removed by forum team - please remember to be nice to everyone, even those not on the forums*. She has stuff that is for her flat no. But just leaves it instead of taking it to the post box with return to sender on it. Hasn’t she heard of elvis?

I’ve ordered 2 pairs of jeans from m & s . The ones I have now are still by my ankles. These are for Big and tall. If they fit , then brilliant .if not, I will take them to Poole ASAP . I’ve ordered a size 40waist. In fairness I hope they are too big :rotfl:

Got new Computer coming midweek . Finally got topper and mattress protector . Got them from home sense . Great shop. Got a Metallica Box set . Only thing I splashed out on tbh .

Looking into my boiler. Not sure how good it is . At times it is a p I t a to get going . As it’s in the small bedroom , I’m on my hands and knees looking at a display that’s very similar to those old ‘80s Hand held games . Hit and miss if it works when my back is turned . I’m finding I have to go back more than once to adjust it.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    AC. Be careful with that boiler......get it checked out. They shouldn’t cut out like that.

Re cold damp flat and condensation. It won’t be helping you with your cough. Definitely get yourself a good dehumidifier, I’ve just bought a new one. EBAC 18L - brilliant.

You will probably find that with a good dehumidifier you won’t need to spend quite so much on heating, they are actually very cost effective in terms of running costs. It’s cheaper to heat cold dry air than cold moist air.

Re the post......well there’s not much you can do, just make sure you check it every day so yours doesn’t get lost. It must be irritating though to have to put with a messy entrance hall. It would drive me nuts.

All is well here. Lots of spending I’m afraid.......dentists, glasses, vaccinations, car mot, new guttering, new kitchen tap, said dehumidifier, Christmas........hey ho - it’s only money. I will have to go on a strict economy drive after my holiday. :rotfl:
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi LL .

Glad all’s well . I ‘m just looking at dehumidifiers now . I’ll look into your one. Thanks for that . Sounds like you have lots going on .All good . I’m gonna have the boiler serviced ASAP I think . Hopefully that will be the beginning of the regular once a year service .
    I’ve just been looking at reviews of it . Some were really good and some the opposite . Due to the size and location of it, my options are ltd.
    Yes, it’ll soon be Christmas :rotfl:
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Sunday and Monday, felt a bit heady . When I went to gym for p/t session I felt better. He seems to be very enthusiastic and sees potential . Also very happy . Hopefully as I’m turning things around, this is the turning point . When I first came to poole , i caoukd hardly walk without being breathless. My two legs were like anvils .
    I eased myself into going back to the gym and am now much more Mobile than I was . My condition is annoying though. If I’m vacuuming my hand muscles get very tired for example . My neck and head muscls tire more easily . I won’t give up though .
    I’m sticking with the sessions and also being mote disciplined so hopefully by this time next year , I will be as normal as can be .
    I’m aiming for employment at Easter at the very latest . Not being complacent but I need to look and feel right for interviews . Not like a fat slob that looks like he has swallowed a few chairs and doesn’t care
    Reasons to be cheerful . I could be dead :)

A couple of things regarding customer service . One which is interesting and bizarre ...
    First Vodafone : last Monday I asked for a p u k code to be sent so I could give my old iPhone to my friends wife who could do with a newer phone . Today was very frustrating and annoying .
    Automated system doesn’t understand my request . 3rd attempt I get a call back . Nice advise, but I couldn’t understand a lot of what he was saying. If he was from the uk, he’d be a racing commentator in his other job . I’m due the code on Friday . We’ll see, som, on to Amazon ...

When I moved home last year , I was like the West Ham defence . I was all over the place as you know .
    A few things disappeared . Albums & books . Still , that’s life.
    So, a rare book by Jon Collins ( chemistry about the band rush ) .
    I decided to see if I could get another copy . So I did via amazon .
    There were various places to buy and various prices.

I managed to buy one at sundial books in the states .
    This was last night . So a couple of hours ago I got an email asking if I would like upot signed . ?? So I was a bit taken aback , not knowing if the email was legit . So I said “ sorry for sounding dumb ..blah blah blah. Could do. Would you require any more payment?..”
    Turns out it was an email from the author who is at the post office .
    He signed it with a little cryptic message .:rotfl::rotfl::j:j
    So this is something I’m dying to see. What a great man ::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family