IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

10p didnt register now rec'd court papers

Options

Comments

• Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    The rule to look at is 38.

38.2(1) A claimant may discontinue all or part of a claim at any time.

38.3 deals with serving a notice of discontinuance (the Claimant has complied with its obligations here)

(1) Discontinuance against any defendant takes effect on the date when notice of discontinuance is served on him under rule 38.3(1)
    (2) Subject to rule 38.4, the proceedings are brought to an end as against him on that date. [don't worry about 38.4 it only applies if you want to set the discontinuance aside]
    (3) However, this does not affect proceedings to deal with any question of costs. I]my emphasis[/I

(1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
    (3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track

Nothing further is said about this. It's a bit confusing. I'd argue that paragraph (3) simply reflects the small claims rule in Rule 27 that you aren't entitled to costs in the small claims court. However, of course if the other party has behaved unreasonably then under Rule 27.14(2)(g) you ARE entitled to costs. I don't think the intention of Rule 38 can be to disentitle you to costs under 27.14(2)(g) just because a Claimant has discontinued. They have still behaved unreasonably and cannot evade liability by discontinuing.

So I think you could write to the court and say that although it's been discontinued, you want to argue that there should be a costs order pursuant to 38.6(1), in spite of 38.6(3) because Rule 27.14(2)(g) applies. Then set out in detail:

1. all of their breaches of the CPR rules, including their pre-action obligations. (I've just done my costs argument for my Skeleton, have a look at it, you could pinch parts of it for your letter). You need to add details of all the breaches of the rules since issuing proceedings - list each one carefully to build a picture of unreasonableness. I've got a document somewhere that you can use as a starting point if you would like?

2. Include details of any letters in which you asked for information and which they unreasonably ignored.

3. Include details of any offers of settlement you made (I think you continually offered the 10p). Attach copies.

4. Also highlight that this entire case was over 10p, which was clearly a waste of court resources and your time.

5. Then you need to say that the "reasonableness" test in 27.14(2)(g) should take into account the Claimant is a professional parking company whose day to day business is ticketing cars and chasing drivers/keepers for payment, they are involved in litigation like this as a matter of course and must understand the duties upon them as a Claimant, including compliance with the court rules.

6. List in detail all the costs you've incurred, with receipts. Say that you are entitled to costs in respect of the time you have personally spent on this matter, as set out in Rule 46.5 and paragraph 3 of Practice Direction 46, and then break down your £19 per hour charge explaining how many minutes/hours you spent on each activity/document.

Say that the court can deal with this without a hearing and that you have sent a copy of this letter to the Claimant for it to respond (and do that). The court has a discretion to deal with this on paper - a hearing would be out of all proportion.

The risk is the court will say "well Rule 38.6.(3) doesn't say that the court has the power to order costs, it specifically says it doesn't" and you might not succeed in arguing that 27.14(2)(g) still applies. But its worth a go. Will post a link to my costs argument in a separate post.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    The costs claim isn't a separate claim, it only exists within these proceedings, so a letter before claim wouldn't work.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    The costs claim isn't a separate claim, it only exists within these proceedings, so a letter before claim wouldn't work.

Is there any reason why, when this is done and dusted, OP cannot act as per my suggestion?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    None - anyone can sue anyone for any reason (pretty much).

What Loads is (probably) referring to is the fact that a counter-claim cannot be made if the originating claim is cancelled. Doesn't stop OP raising their own claim though. :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:47PM
    Options
    I'm so sorry Coupon-mad that you spent the time writing my Witness Statement, which I was quite excited to present in court. But im very glad that I don't need it now.

It's not wasted; I will now link that WS in post #69 (above) in the NEWBIES thread as an example that worked to help to encourage BW Legal to give up. And it saves me writing one like it again from scratch!

The quotes from the Beavis case are ones I looked up specially and will be useful again for any other WS or skeleton argument where the claim is clearly an unconscionable and 'out of all proportion' pile of trash (your case over a 10p piece that was in their machine all along, would surely never have fooled a Judge).

I hope that some other posters might get some use out of that WS in other cases.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Is there any reason why, when this is done and dusted, OP cannot act as per my suggestion?

There is no reason why the OP cannot send an invoice.

But, as there is/was no contractual agreement in place for the PPC to reimburse the OP for time spent, they would be under no obligation to pay it, and would most likely just ignore it.

For the same reason, if the OP then tried to take them to court for non-payment, it would almost certainly get thrown out as disclosing no cause of action.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • henrik777
    henrik777 Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:57PM
    Options
    My preferred method is to send a letter to the court.
    Edit to suit.

Technically it should be an application but i'm not convince the odds of spending cash to ask are worth it. A letter MIGHT prevail but costs little. Normally small claims track costs are not allowed in these cases but 27.14 2 g can help with the right court/judge. It's worth asking.

"In the County Court at xxx

~~ To be put before procedural judge ~~

In the matter of

Deal v XYZ
    Claim Number XXX

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have been advised by the court on xxxxx that the listed hearing for this claim was vacated and I understand that this is due to the Claimant's discontinuance.

CPR r.38.6 states that the claimant is liable for the defendant's costs after discontinuance (r.38.6(1)) but that this does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track (r.38.6(3)). However, the white book states (annotation 38.6.1): "Note that the normal rule as to costs does not apply if a claimant in a case allocated to the small claims track serves a notice of discontinuance although it might be contended that costs should be awarded if a party has behaved unreasonably (r.27.14(2)(d))." I believe it should actually refer to r.27.14(2)(g) as that is the rule which allows the court to award costs for unreasonable behaviour.

On this basis I would like to request a costs order to be made against the Claimant given that DEAL has behaved unreasonably by discontinuing this claim, and also by not submitting any evidence/witness statement in support of their claim other than their claim form, and by not serving me with a copy of their Directions Questionnaire contrary to the court order.

The Defendant had significant costs to prepare the Defence and prepare attendance of the hearing and the costs claimed are as follows:

(explain any expenses here).

Yours faithfully,

XYZ
    Defendant"

This won't guarantee you anything but it is worth a shot, and as long as you're not taking the p##s with what you're claiming you may have a friendly judge who gives you a costs order.

£19 per hour.

Quite often this is met with "Make an application if you want but i am not dealing with a letter" Signed Judge fussy.

Sometimes it works and they award costs.

One bizarre one last week came back
    I received a letter from the Court. They've forwarded a copy of my correspondence back to the claimant.
    "IT IS ORDERED THAT"
    1. The claimant shall send to the court and to the defendant a written response to his application by 22nd March 2017.
    2. The defendant shall within 14 days of receiving that written response send to the court and to the claimant any further response.
    3. The application shall then be determined by District Judge ****** on paper.
    4. Because this order has been made by the court without a hearing, a party affected by it may apply within 7 days of being served with it to have it varied, set aside or stayed.

A costs application, if the letter fails, is possible but i'm not a great fan of spending £255/£100 when nothing is certain and the value low. It is possible to win such an application though. https://consumercreditlitigationanddebtcollection.wordpress.com/
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great advice Henrik777, as ever.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

As bargepole et al have said - there has to be a cause of action (eg breach of contract). There wouldn't be one here. The application has to be made within these proceedings.

I'd add to the suggested letter, which is great -
    I ask that the court deals with this application without requiring a formal application, as it has the power to do pursuant to CPR rule 1.4(2)(c) and Practice Direction 26, para 5.1, and further that it deals with the application on paper, pursuant to rule 23.3(2)(b). [its always best to spell out the courts powers because as henrik says DJs can be very fussy, and they are often very ignorant about the CPR]

Personally I'd add all the reasons why there should be a costs order by setting out all the pre- and post-action breaches justifying why the Claimant's conduct should be deemed unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure