Great 'Sell Your Gold' Hunt

Options

Comments

• pollytrem
    Options
    Hi I'm a new member and I'm on the site looking for information about postal gold companies. I've just came home from 4 high street jewellers and have been offered between £250 and £410 for my items. Having read everyone's comments i'm going to send it to Hatton Garden and see if they will give me more.....I'll keep everyone posted to the results x:rolleyes:
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sparhawke wrote: »
    Stick to real pawn shops, at least then you will be able to claim back your valuables in a period of upto 3-6 months and be able to walk away at anytime, something much harder after you have sent your valuable goods to any company that can be set up overnight.
    Or just go to a reputable jeweller, at least then you know exactly who you're dealing with, don't have the risk of posting and should get a reasonable price due to the inevitably lower overheads compared to the highly advertised postal companies (they're obviously making a tidy profit with your gold with the amount of advertising they can afford).
  • tigger69
    tigger69 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hatton garden have a onsite calculator pollytrem, so you can calculate your weight, carat and the amount you can expect. I think it works out at around 80% of the scrap gold price on the day. Their are other companies which will offer either side of Hatton's price however their are people here who have used Hatton and have not had any problems.
    Hope your happy with whoever you choose.
  • dave_uk_4
    dave_uk_4 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2009 at 10:49PM
    Options
    dave_uk wrote: »
    Posted £2500 of gold on Monday to Birmingham by Special Delivery for delivery Tuesday 19th Oct . It never arrived. Tracking says it is still in the system. It arrived in the Birmingham Mail Centre Tuesday am but never left according to my information. I phoned up customer services and was told it should be delivered on Wednesday but it wasn't and still nothing on Thursday. It looks as though it has gone missing along with a few others for the same destination. Anyone know what the chances are of it turning up after 3 days? It is very worrying as I buy and sell gold to help the local Childrens Hospice. Another thought that comes to mind is the postal gold scenario. People who send gold without knowing its value are in a difficult situation if it gets lost.

Well my gold is 'lost' and it is one of dozens of gold packages that have been 'lost' in the Birmingham mailing offices this month according to a conversation with a worker there. All are special delivery packages too! I should have had the money in my bank the same day but now have to wait weeks to (hopefully) get my compensation. I sent in the P58 claim form last weekend but customer services are unable or unwilling to check to tell me if they have received it, (that too could be lost!) as they said they have a 2 week backlog of claims! Royal Mail Customer services at Plymouth (complaints) are cold and uncaring although they are polite and (ungenuinely) sympathetic.
    All this is very stressfull as this is my float and around £500 for the childrens hospice which I was hoping to give them last week. I am unable to raise further money till I get my float back. Please think twice before using Royal Mail for sending gold and if you do make sure you take out the right compensation, have proof of value and take a photo of the items just in case.
    I will keep you informed of Royal Mails progress on this matter.
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Dave, I hope you get it worked out quickly :)
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • pollytrem
    Options
    pollytrem wrote: »
    Hi I'm a new member and I'm on the site looking for information about postal gold companies. I've just came home from 4 high street jewellers and have been offered between £250 and £410 for my items. Having read everyone's comments i'm going to send it to Hatton Garden and see if they will give me more.....I'll keep everyone posted to the results x:rolleyes:

I sent my parcel at 4pm yesterday and received an email at lunchtime today......telling me they had deposited £635.97 into my bank account. I'm over the moon...(and no I don't work for Hatton etc, I'm just a mum looking for a little extra for kids xmas presents!) I was ripped off by a high street jeweller last year when I sold some gold and have been a little more selective this time.

Hatton Garden Metals gets a big thumb up from me! Don't worry about sending it through the post...just use Special Delivery and you're
    covered for the full value for around £5. Hatton Garden are very good at communication and will email you regularly from start to finish, giving reference numbers and an honest up front offer per gram. Steer clear of the tv advertised companies...they will not give you any idea of what they will pay you. I phoned many and they refused to say over the phone. High street jewellers are also reluctant to tell you...they just want to weigh your items and try and tempt you with quick cash........It couldn't be any faster or easier than Hatton Garden (and because cash went straight into my bank account...I can't spend any on the way home from the shops!!):j
  • nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollytrem wrote: »
    I sent my parcel at 4pm yesterday and received an email at lunchtime today......telling me they had deposited £635.97 into my bank account. I'm over the moon...(and no I don't work for Hatton etc, I'm just a mum looking for a little extra for kids xmas presents!) I was ripped off by a high street jeweller last year when I sold some gold and have been a little more selective this time.

Hatton Garden Metals gets a big thumb up from me! Don't worry about sending it through the post...just use Special Delivery and you're
    covered for the full value for around £5. Hatton Garden are very good at communication and will email you regularly from start to finish, giving reference numbers and an honest up front offer per gram. Steer clear of the tv advertised companies...they will not give you any idea of what they will pay you. I phoned many and they refused to say over the phone. High street jewellers are also reluctant to tell you...they just want to weigh your items and try and tempt you with quick cash........It couldn't be any faster or easier than Hatton Garden (and because cash went straight into my bank account...I can't spend any on the way home from the shops!!):j

well am glad you're pleased with your outcome. Trouble for me is I dont want my money in the bank - it'll disappear into my overdraft! Suppose I need to sort out a different deposit account for this and use it for quidco and bingo wins etc.

Am still feeling reluctant to send off about 50 g of gold but I'd like to give my DS's some cash for xmas and cant see another way of doing it. Am hanging on to the antique 9ct pocket watch and sovereigns!

i've researched a lot and come up with
    www.cash4mygold.tv £7.50 per gram 9ct and
    www.lois-jewellery.com slightly less at £7.35 but had good reviews.
  • dave_uk_4
    Options
    nettttie wrote: »

i've researched a lot and come up with
    www.cash4mygold.tv £7.50 per gram 9ct and
    www.lois-jewellery.com slightly less at £7.35 but had good reviews.

I dealt with cash4mygold on 3 occasions and was offerered between 5 and 7% less for non British Hallmarked items, 14ct that was only 12ct (according to them) plus metal in clasps (that had already been removed) and various other excuses. It is easy to advertise headline rates but few pay it. Never had these reductions from Lois or Hatton Gdns. Most high street jewellers who I know use Lois or Hatton.
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    Cash4gold is a big scam then as I warned on the previous page? ;)
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • originalmissy
    Options
    I have been a fan of MSE and Martin for a few years now, indeed I have read the forums etc on a regular basis but as my partner was already a member I didn't feel the need to register myself. A few weeks ago I was looking into selling my 'scrap' gold and came across a couple of threads on the forum. HGM was mentioned with some good comments, so I looked into it myself and bit the bullet, sent of my gold. In the meantime Jenny had started this thread and I thought I would like to contribute by giving my personal experience, so I registered and made my first post. I am very annoyed and a little upset to find my post deleted, it seems that someone decided I was a spammer!! in fact it almost looks like someone has set up a whitch hunt! While I understand and accept that spam is not acceptable and should be treated with the contempt it deserves, I cannot abide judgements made based on first impressions! So my question is 'how many posts do you need before you can give advice or recommendations based on personal experience' or do you have to be a member for x number of weeks/months?
    The attitude of some members can/will put off new members from posting anything! Not me, I'm too thick skinned!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure