PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    I had some microfiber ones from LidI last year.....lovely and warm but they are a nightmare if you've got a bit of dry skin on your feet or your legs need shaving....almost like a Velcro effect! :)

Lol, that made me giggle :rotfl:
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.tonystextiles.co.uk/category/bedding/sheets/flannelette?gclid=CP7Y-5DwvLkCFSTKtAodxVIAug#page=2

I've ordered from this company before (their flannel pillow cases are very soft). They're fab, reasonably priced including postage costs and you usually get a free reusable cotton bag with your order too!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    metherer wrote: »
    Just been thinking we will have to get someone to come and clear out our gutters before Winter. We've lived here since 2010 and never had them done.

Anyone know how much is usually charged for this?

We had ours done a few weeks ago. A local company cleared all the gutters, cleaned the windows, fascias and soffits and the conservatory (including roof) all downpipes etc and jet washed the drive all for £60. (3 bed semi). Well worth it for the amount of stuff they got out of the gutters (around 8 black buckets full of weeds, leaves and sludge).
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    BRRRRRR it's freezing today! aparently indoors my house is 16 degrees. I'm sat in some thick socks and a nice thick cardigan. Might have to do some housework just to get warm. Think it's time the slow cooker came out to have some yummy stew this week if it carries on like this. I'm not going to give in and put the heating on. It's only september! xx

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DD's windows were dripping with condensation this morning :( I'll be off to Arg05 on Thursday to buy a small dehumidifier for in there (need to go to her school Thursday evening and will be travelling by bus so going to make the most of a day pass and run loads of errands in the day time ;):money:) .

Inside temperature is apparently 17C but its chilly so I put the fire on again this morning when we got up. DD complained it was cold so I told her to put a layer or two on instead of standing there in basically a t-shirt.

I'm going to be doing my list today of what I need to get/do to the house before it gets too cold. I'm trying to use up last years stock of meat that is in the freezer so we can go to the butchers next week and stock up on nice stewing meat etc. Already bought some food stuffs and started digging out the blankets & throws. We will have a warmer/drier winter in this house ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • aligerdie
    Options
    Can anyone recommend where to get fleece lined salopettes for a 6 year old please? I can only find them for around £25 online and I'd prefer to not pay so much :( I'm also looking for a padded all in one suit for my 2 year old, they're coming in at a similar price too :/

We've just moved house so funds are tight and I'm trying to prep quickly. Aluminium windows in our new house are going to be interesting!

Thank you xx
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    aligerdie wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend where to get fleece lined salopettes for a 6 year old please? I can only find them for around £25 online and I'd prefer to not pay so much :( I'm also looking for a padded all in one suit for my 2 year old, they're coming in at a similar price too :/

We've just moved house so funds are tight and I'm trying to prep quickly. Aluminium windows in our new house are going to be interesting!

Thank you xx

I used to get ski stuff for snowy weather (we've never been skiing!) 2ndhand from ebay. They wear it so little that you can get stuff that's like new.
  • dragonette
    Options
    Anyone in the Glasgow area, TJ Hughes have lots of flannelette sheet sets in atm - think it was about £16 or £17 for a double set. Hope that's helpful for someone.

I have my list of things to do, now I need to find time to do it in! Blankets and throws already out as its gtting nippy in the evenings
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    aligerdie wrote: »

Thank you xx

If you are anywhere near Newcastle upon Tyne/Gateshead I have a hardly worn red Next snow suit for a 2-3 year old which my son has grown out of and a blue tresppass snow suit with detatchable feet he wore once (age 2 I think. I am at work and cant check) I am going to put them on my local facebook selling page for a tenner each:) I have 2 snow suits and about 4 of his coats (he is 3) to put on. My MIL is obsessed with coats and buys him a couple every season!

It has been much cooler this weekend but I was pleased that I still got my washing to dry on the line.

DH asked if he should put the fire on last night but I sent him upstairs for a couple of fleeces and we used those instead.

I have turned my hot water off as we use our electric shower and dishwasher and DH has moved on to an electric razor so rarely need to heat water unless it is for DS bath and I would rather turn it on for half an hour to heat up the water for that rather than having it coming on twice a day and the water not getting used. Does anyone know if there are any preccautions I need to take if I am doing this over the winter? I dont fancy my central heating conking out:eek:

I never got round to lining the curtains this weekend but I am off to my Mums at the weekend so I'll pack my sewing maching and she can help me do them;)

I have also packed away DS shorts and most of my summer clothes but they are close at hand incase we get this heat wave people keep talking about. I cant see it happening myself:rotfl:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    BRRRRRR it's freezing today! aparently indoors my house is 16 degrees. I'm sat in some thick socks and a nice thick cardigan. Might have to do some housework just to get warm. Think it's time the slow cooker came out to have some yummy stew this week if it carries on like this. I'm not going to give in and put the heating on. It's only september! xx

my feelings exactly, too early for heat! it was 17 degrees in the lounge this morning (very comfy upstairs though) so this morning i put a chicken carcass and leftover veg in the slow cooker and incorporated making zucchini (courgette) bread into my daughters home education lessons for the day. i had purchased a huge marrow from someone selling them from his garden a few weeks ago and thought, hmm what can i make with it now i have it :rotfl:

it's now 19.5C and we only just got the computers fired up so it should be another degree warmer soon and very cozy again. baking and the slow cookers are my method of taking the chill off for autumn, i am a stickler about not turning the heat on til we've gone through all our little tricks for staying warm, if we do those and still can't get warm THEN the heat goes on.

i hope you all don't mind me picking your brains a bit in the next few months about using gas radiators, it's been so so very long since i've had them that i don't really know how to use them effectively so as and when i think of stuff you know where i'll be heading to ask questions :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure