Sending Money Overseas article discussion

Options

Comments

• Moneycorp_representative
    Moneycorp_representative Posts: 6 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Using a currency broker who offers Regular payment plans may be a convenient choice for him especially on the smaller amount. The broker can Direct Debit from his Yorkshire bank account and transfer the funds to his French bank account on a weekly/monthly/bi-monthly/quarterly basis.

Another handy choice on these plans is to lock the exchange rate in (with Moneycorp this is up to 2 years) so he knows exactly how much he will receive each month and can budget, or he can choose a variable plan so the rate will be dependent on where the market rate is at the time of booking that particular installment each time.

Alternatively he can use telephone or online trading (24/7) to book his transfers each time as and when he wants to.

For the larger amounts most currency brokers offer a personal telephone dealer service who can offer market guidance and various tools to lock in the best exchange rate so he can make the most for his money.

pbh wrote: »
    [I have a friend moving to France who does not use the internet and he has sold his property in the Uk and banks with Yorkshire Bank
    He is looking to relocate to france and buy a property out there and wondered which is the best way to transfer the funds to cover living expenses and eventually large amounts to buy a property He is going to france and will be opening an account in the next couple of weekso

any advice or pointers much appreciated?:money:
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Moneycorp. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • robonz
    robonz Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    I've used http://www.moneymoveit.com and they seem very good.
    thanks to everyone who has thanked me!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always use one or more comparison sites. such as http://www.fxcompared.com/, before making a transaction. That way I get the most up-to-date picture, and the comparison sites also work out the cost based on the amount I need to transfer.
  • jrusso
    jrusso Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using XE.com for a good while to send money to my accounts in the US and Germany. I've always found the service very good. I'm in the process of moving back to Germany just now and I've noticed the rate to EUR seems poorer than it used to be. I realise the exchange rate has fallen but their spread seems to have increased. Today their rate is 1.12. I've decided to give Transferwise a go since it's recommended on here. Their rate today is 1.14.

This would all be much easier if more banks did Euro accounts here.
  • hobodev
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Martin says, at *worst*, one should find a deal that matches the *best* rate on TravelMoneyMaximiser. This doesn't seem to be true. TransferWise comes out top (to transfer ~£1000) but it doesn't match the Clarity rate. Perhaps he meant the best rate amongst forex companies?

Has anyone found a cheaper option than TransferWise?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hobodev wrote: »

Has anyone found a cheaper option than TransferWise?

Yeah, it changes all the time, and it depends a lot what you want to send where.

Use a comparison service such as http://www.fxcompared.com/ to figure out your best option. That's much better than blindly using the same company always.
  • tobiwankenobe
    Options
    Hello all,

regarding spending money abroad, I realise Halifax Clarity is a good card to use, but I've noticed the new Metro Bank card offers free withdrawls abroad (payment and cash).

I think they use the daily averaged mastercard rate and so I presume is a pretty good card to have?

Would this be correct? Does the article need updating?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,

regarding spending money abroad, I realise Halifax Clarity is a good card to use, but I've noticed the new Metro Bank card offers free withdrawls abroad (payment and cash).
    Well done!
    MSE article: Your Card's Overseas Charges
    I think they use the daily averaged mastercard rate and so I presume is a pretty good card to have? Would this be correct?
    Yes, it's Mastercard. Not sure about averaged.
    Does the article need updating?
    The right one is pretty much up to date. This thread is about sending, not spending.
  • davebennie
    Options
    Hello all,

apologies if this has been answered, I did see a few sites mentioned which I will check out, but thought I'd ask if anyone has used exchange4free at all and knows anything about it.

I am aiming to regularly transfer money from malaysia to uk as will be working there but letting a flat out here. If anyone has done similar and can recommend a service that'd be even better

Thanks everyone

Ben
  • samsyerman1
    Options
    I am going on holiday to Australia next year, and am about to book an apartment in Melbourne. The owner does not accept credit card or debit cards but has asked to be paid through paypal. She also states that I will be responsible for bank charges. What are those charges likely to be and can I circumvent them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback