Sending Money Overseas article discussion

Options

Comments

• xendeavourx
    Options
    I have just sent 50,000 GBP to EUR in the past few days and to say the least I was really dubious about going elsewhere then the bank. Barclays offered me a good 'on the day' rate. Having felt that I could be taken a little advantage of, shopped around looked at sending money abroad with a few individual fx companies.

Really do take the time to understand the company and ask about their processing times each company is different. I first contacted Smart Currency and felt a little undermined and decided to settle with a pretty much unknown foreign exchange broker Currency Index.

Not paying any fee's and breaking the payments saved on my charges into my spanish account! Means an extra sangria or two :)

Not a grand website but punchy enough for you to understand the jist of things and they got my sending money abroad down to a tee!
  • Cathrtw
    Options
    We need to send a considerable amount of GBP to our Swiss bank account and would appreciate any feedback on others experiences. Banking with HSBC in the UK and the Swiss account is also in our names. We are also out of the country so can't go into UK banks and would have to do it in writing.

Feedback would be much appreciated before I search for the best rate & how to do it avoiding bad currency rates i.e. being ripped off!
    Thanks in advance.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cathrtw wrote: »
    ...Feedback would be much appreciated before I search for the best rate & how to do it avoiding bad currency rates i.e. being ripped off!
    Is it not easier just to read MSE article and the last few pages of (this) discussion thread?

http://www.fxcompared.com/Content/money-transfer-from-UK-Switzerland-above-3000-amount-10000
    http://www.mycurrencytransfer.com/money-transfer-to-Switzerland/10000-GBP
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raj15 wrote: »
    I highly reccomend their services!

Why?..........................................................
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Raj15
    If you are a currency analyst, dealing with transfers from UK to overseas accounts and vice versa on a daily basis (Post 3)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4484265&highlight=

and you work in FX yourself (post 45)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3371562&page=3

then why did you need to ask this? (post1)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4153697&highlight=

Can you tell I'm bored :cool:
  • cheatonthecheese
    Options
    Raj15 wrote: »
    Hi All,

reading through this thread I would like to say I have had to send money overseas several times due to my property purchase in Marbella.

I personally have used a company called Currencies 4 You, the analyst I used there was called Prem, I highly reccomend their services!

Hey Raj,

You recommend a guy called Prem at currencies4u do you? Funny that, there is a Prem Raja working at currencies4u according to Linkedin! Hmmmmmmmm
  • bigtel_2
    bigtel_2 Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    My fiancee's (Italian) sister has just sold a house for them which they were to split the revenue.

It's a large sum so is the best way to do this by fx broker?

They are due to come over here next week for the weekend and were going to bring a cheque, but I don't think you can put a euro's cheque into a British Bank!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    Makes you wonder how all the other institutions justify the spread for foreign currency.
  • Saltire74
    Options
    Hi All

looking for a bit of advice. I am UK based with a UK bank account but work overseas. My wife is Indonesian and is based there. Every month I send her money via my bank doing an international transfer. When I do this online I get charged £9.50. My wife noticed 2 months ago that the amount which she was getting was minus £35 which was charged by the clearing bank. I think this is a fairly recent change.
    If I was only making these transfers periodically then I wouldn't bother so much but this is now costing me/her £534 annually as I send her funds monthly.
    I have been with my bank for 20+ years and loathe to change as they are not the ones taking the £35 charge. My wife is limited in banks to use because of her location in Indonesia.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

S
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family