Neighbourhood kids swearing and behavior annoying us

Options
Please move to the right thread if needed

I live near two families living in social housing in the street behind (their gardens have gates that go onto a residents car park, where I park my car) where the kids play on the play area in the middle of my road.

They always stare at any of us that walk down the road and swear at us. Or if we are driving, they purposely block the road by standing or sitting on their bikes and swear at us.
The kids vary from 7-14 and they all scream.

No point in talking to their parents as they deny any of it. The mothers in the past have falsely accused the residents of things we haven't done. Then one of the residents said he saw one of these boys urinating against their neighbour's car!

We do only know their first names and an idea which houses they come from. Who do we report their behaviour to? The police are not bothered. Myself and a few residents want to report them anonymously.

If you remove these children, then the road will be a better place.

Comments

• bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    When you say the police aren't bothered, have you reported it?

I've found the community police to be very helpful with these sorts of anti-social behaviour (we had some problems a couple of years back). Have a chat with them if you haven't already.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Can you contact their school(s)? Summer holidays are approaching. Behaviour out of school both for safety and anti social might be a subject that could be mentioned in an assembly.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anti social behaviour team at your local council?

Although if its just normal kid rowdiness, they're unlikely to do anything. If its a wider issue (ie not just your family who are having problems with it) perhaps write a letter of complaint and ask all affected neighbours to sign it/add their address so it helps signal to the council that it is actually a problem and not just (for example) your family being fussy.

Also, were you by any chance hurrying past the kids, trying not to draw attention to yourself/make eye contact in case they started? I wouldn't advise it if you don't feel safe doing so (which you probably don't or you wouldn't be on here complaining about them), but if you do....try to act unfazed, make eye contact and if they speak to you go over and stand next to them and talk to them. About anything (well, anything appropriate obviously), the weather, their bikes, summer holidays etc. To start with they might swear/act up more but just keep on doing it and eventually either they'll get bored/realise they're not getting the reaction they expected or they'll come around and might actually start being nice back!

Sometimes unconventional approaches work better than the "official" line.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try emailing the non-emergency police in your area. We did this when we had concerns about a resident here.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Although if its just normal kid rowdiness, they're unlikely to do anything. If its a wider issue (ie not just your family who are having problems with it) perhaps write a letter of complaint and ask all affected neighbours to sign it/add their address so it helps signal to the council that it is actually a problem and not just (for example) your family being fussy.

Also, were you by any chance hurrying past the kids, trying not to draw attention to yourself/make eye contact in case they started? I wouldn't advise it if you don't feel safe doing so (which you probably don't or you wouldn't be on here complaining about them), but if you do....try to act unfazed, make eye contact and if they speak to you go over and stand next to them and talk to them. About anything (well, anything appropriate obviously), the weather, their bikes, summer holidays etc. To start with they might swear/act up more but just keep on doing it and eventually either they'll get bored/realise they're not getting the reaction they expected or they'll come around and might actually start being nice back!

I don't look at them and started play music in my phone. Sometimes they follow me which is very disturbing.

I hate the school summer holidays as these kids never go anywhere apart from the road. I doubt money is the issue as I have a friend who lives in social housing with her four kids 18 months-11 years are always doing things - low cost or free.

I only know the kids names from their mothers yelling their names at home without getting out of their gardens and at my work.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you say the police aren't bothered, have you reported it?

I've found the community police to be very helpful with these sorts of anti-social behaviour (we had some problems a couple of years back). Have a chat with them if you haven't already.

Also keep a dairy of events - date, times and what has happened.
  • Comyface
    Comyface Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I love this idea; engaging with them. I hope I'd be brave enough to do it, if I were ever in this situation.
    Are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation? :cool:
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    How about putting some CCTV in the car ? The sort where you can watch it on a mobile phone.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    They're kids, can we just remember that. You're an adult, why on earth are you scared of 7-14 year olds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure