Transfer Test AQE 2014-2015

Options

Comments

• flymetothemoon_2
    Options
    Mr_Bun wrote: »
    Filling in the application form the new school and they are asking for the S.A.S. score.
    Where can I get this...primary school?

Sorry Mr Bun, never heard of this before. I filled in my voluminous forms for the new school on Sunday and there was no request for any score. Try asking Primary and if they're not sure, I'd ring the new school and ask.
  • rolo1_2
    rolo1_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify SC
    1. Must be accepted as a valid reason why child under-performed.
    2. If accepted as a valid reason, the board of governors will look at the child's primary school tests scores (provided by you/primary school as part of SC application) peers results and comments by Primary teacher and decide if AQE score should be uplifted or not.
    3. If governors decide that yes child has under-performed due to SC they will uplift score to reflect.
    4. The new uplifted score will become the childs NEW Official AQE score, so child will either get into choice school on Merit or the uplifted score may still not be high enough. If SC have been accepted and score uplifted enough to gain entry,the school will not refer to the original AQE score, as the new uplifted score is final one (eg what it is deemed they would have scored if SC had not affected things)
  • Yumsmum
    Yumsmum Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just completed application for waiting list to Grosvenor! Its not even a school we know much about as we live in Hillsborough but willing to try anything right now :(
    Our nearest school is 4mile away and they turned 50 applicants away this year.....madness!

Re 76 for Grosvenor - the 76 is with special circumstances (I was up at the school yesterday). Hope this helps.
  • Yumsmum
    Yumsmum Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I am really shocked at the Grosvenor score this year. Its a fantastic school and is up there as one of the best in Belfast. I definitely think it is a mix of the Strathearn scores being so high this year (up by 7 points on previous) and how high it has been in previous years to get into grosvenor (103/104) which has put people off applying. I think that anyone going forward in future years can take from this the importance of putting in the schools in matter of preference as opposed to the score that you think will get into a school.

For those still trying to get placed - I will you all the best. Keep pushing as hard as you can and hopefully it will all pay off.

Totally agree with you Co Down Mum. My DS has been accepted into Grosvenor with an AQE score of 109 - to think that I was worried that he wouldn't get in if the scores were raised! Quite a few other parents that I know of did not apply to Grosvenor for the reasons you state - they assumed their child's AQE score was too low to be accepted. Definitely a lesson for future years.
  • Mummyglam
    Mummyglam Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    The 76 for Grosvenor might well be special circumstances, but I know of two that have got Grosvenor in high 70s and they are not special circumstances. Another few in 80s and they are not special circumstances. it seems Grosvenor wasn't the preferred school this year. Wish that had been the case a few years ago when my child just missed out by 1 mark, but thankfully with perserverence they got in the end their first choice.

Altenatively, parents probably looked at child's score and thought Grosvenor always the hardest to get into and did not put in on the form.

Grosvenor as others have pointed out is one of the best schools in Belfast.

I hope for the years in future parents WILL make sure that they put the school they want their child to go to and not look at the score.

Any parents whose child not placed been successful in securing a place? My advice would be take one of the available places but continue your fight as I have heard of someone from Belfast being offered schools as far afield as Carrickfergus!!
  • inzane_mummy
    Options
    Yumsmum wrote: »
    Re 76 for Grosvenor - the 76 is with special circumstances (I was up at the school yesterday). Hope this helps.

Im just back from the school, dropping the waiting list form off, but they weren't very helpful in telling me anything :/

Campbell were so helpful in telling me where abouts my son would be on their waiting list, but grosvenor just said they would be in touch.

Nothing else i can do now but wait out and see. My sons score is 87 with SC (not sure if the SC still applies on a waiting list)

Its gonna be a long summer :/
  • Scarletlady_2
    Options
    Im just back from the school, dropping the waiting list form off, but they weren't very helpful in telling me anything :/

Campbell were so helpful in telling me where abouts my son would be on their waiting list, but grosvenor just said they would be in touch.

Nothing else i can do now but wait out and see. My sons score is 87 with SC (not sure if the SC still applies on a waiting list)

Its gonna be a long summer :/

Good Luck, we pray for you. Sorry that you and your child has to go through this stressful needless time.
  • Scarletlady_2
    Options
    What happen to Grosvenor? Was one of the most sought after school suddenly changed. Like to hear from any Grosvenor parents why they would not send their child there. Bearing in mind the grass on the otherside is always greener.
  • Mummyglam
    Options
    Mr Bun Could SAS mean Standardised Age Score.
  • Mummyglam
    Options
    To Inzane Mummy, sorry you did not have a good experience at Grosvenor when you left your form off. However, I suspect that Grosvenor are in a big shock about the cut off score as anybody else. Please I would look Perhaps they cannot say where your child is on the waiting list because there are still places but they are wanting to see how many applications come in, in the next week and look at the highest scores. I know it is hard to stay positive at this time but please do and continue to keep in contact with the schools. That is what I did a few years ago and eventually it paid off, but it was a long summer or me, I hope you do not have to wait so long.

To Scarletlady. I am a parent of a Grosvenor Child and it is a fantastic school. I am in total shock at the scores they have accepted. It has and I think will continue to be an excellent Grammar School. I do not know why people did not choose it this year. They have got a fantastic new Principal from January. Perhaps parents like to play wait and see when they hear of a new Principal taking over the school. However, I can say 100% The new Principal of Grosvenor is absolutely FANTASTIC. I think you would be hard pushed to find a better Principal. I too would like to hear from other parents who have children at Grosvenor to hear what they have to say, but I have nothing but praise for the school and my child did not start out at Grosvenor a few years back he started out at a different school, and I have absolutely no regrets moving my child and they have no regrets. They always wanted Grosvenor. Wait and see what happens next year, Grosvenor will be inundated with applications.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure