PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Monna That did make me laugh :rotfl:

When DH and I updated our wills he said he would like his ashes scattered at sea - the solicitor advised us that permissions etc would need to be sought (and paid for) - I have told DH that I will scatter his ashes into the Medina on a trip on the chain ferry to save a few quid, in fairness it would be far from where he was born and worked for his first 30+ years :D

That’s if the bloomin chain ferry is workin..:eek:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hear on the Southern news tonight that it's broken down AGAIN.

Tell your DH to hang on a bit longer.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Tell your DH to hang on a bit longer.

I intend to hold on to him as long as Him upstairs allows x

£300/£130
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Islandmaid - we scattered my dad's ashes at sea. We were taken out by friends and no one thought about paperwork. I can understand for a sea burial, but for scattering ashes it seems excessive!

ETA - more info here: https://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/help-advice/permission/sea-river/
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    Thanks Greenbee I will have a proper read through later, but you are right, no permissions etc mentioned, I still won’t rush into it though :D

Off to work, Chilli for dinner, bloomin cold here, but no frost.

Take care those of you with snow and ice x

£300/£130
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just my luck! The coldest morning that we have had for ages and my boiler blinked off. Quick phone call and DS2 is calling in to work his magic on his way back from dropping Pickle off at school. Today is not the day for the heating to let me down.

I hope everyone is managing to keep warm (No, you did not detect a note of bitterness there) and if you've had to get out early to go to work, wrap up well.

Nothing done, nothing planned. My life.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Think of problems NOT as prisons, but schools from which we can graduate and learn.

(Yeah. Right. I don't know who said this but I would like to meet him and shake him by the throat.)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2018 at 10:29AM
    Options
    The good ship Brandy Wine is happy to launch for scattering of ashes at sea and help with a suitable toast to the dear departed. As long as it's between April and October!
    Going to Norfolk in April to scatter my aunt's ashes on the broads on her birthday - thanks for the link Greenbee - like the idea of a water urn.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Thanks Greenbee I will have a proper read through later, but you are right, no permissions etc mentioned, I still won’t rush into it though :D

Off to work, Chilli for dinner, bloomin cold here, but no frost.

Take care those of you with snow and ice x

I’m sure your DH will appreciate your patience:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The ashes talk reminded me of my DS1 who had a summer job on cruise boats on Loch Lomond. One trip was for the scattering of ashes, the driver of the boat got the wind direction completely wrong and the grieving sailors ended up wearing their loved ones ashes!

The other rather sad trip was an asian family scattering ashes on the Loch - their tradition is to throw in bread for food for the afterlife - you've guessed it - a flock of gulls arrived and ate all the bread!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We scattered the ashes of an elderly friend of the family from the ferry across the Mersey. She was a Liverpudlian. The ferry company offer this possi ility on one crossing a day. They stop the ferry in mid-river, cordon off part of a deck for privacy and even provide a shute! It was very moving and unbelievably, just as we had a few moments silence, a fighter jet roared overhead. Our friend would have loved the final 'salute'!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure