Need a bit of advice. Not sure if I should refund or not.

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    Another reason why I send tracked, is that I seem to have folk who want items posted to colleges/Uni's and from what I understand, they go to a reception desk, and then to a locker. I get them wanting items posted to workplaces - same applies.
    I have had a couple of people get in touch asking for whoever has signed for the parcel. So it just covers everything and they know who to ask.
    For some reason, I never had any luck with standard postage when I first started selling, so I started with signed for (which I got the idea from here a while ago)

Err you aren't sending tracked. You are sending with a signature on delivery. It's not necessary, certainly at £7.50. Only at £750 is a signature needed for seller protection.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    To answer the actual question the buyer does sound like trouble, but if you cancel you are likely to end up with a defect.

However, I think you are a brave seller for charging so much postage in these new days where buyers are asked to leave stars for their opinion of the charge. It's been quite a while since I've seen any £5 postage charges for smaller items without accompanying poor stars.

Hurray!! Thank you Soolin. That's all I wanted to hear - just someone with lots of Ebay experience coming on with their own opinion. (not to be rude to the others, your replies are appreciated, but it felt like I was going round in circles trying to justify my p&p charge)
    I think now, after getting your opinion, that I'll send it, but I will take lots of pics at each stage of packing. I really don't trust this buyer.
    Thanks again
    Would you please now close this thread. Thankyou.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Hurray!! Thank you Soolin. That's all I wanted to hear - just someone with lots of Ebay experience coming on with their own opinion. (not to be rude to the others, your replies are appreciated, but it felt like I was going round in circles trying to justify my p&p charge)
    I think now, after getting your opinion, that I'll send it, but I will take lots of pics at each stage of packing. I really don't trust this buyer.
    Thanks again

£5 is a massive (over) charge.

Did you not understand that bit? Save yourself (and your buyer) the SF charge and opt for click and drop, at least.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it is small send it via My Hermes when it is tracked.

Wherever possible I give ` free ` postage as it saves all the questions re postage and immediately gives you 5*.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doesn't have to be small to go via Hermes. Currently items sold on ebay are still done only by weight, so up to 1kg is £2.79 if dropped off at a ParcelShop.

If you have a heavier item (up to 2kg) which fits Royal Mail's definition of 'small parcel', Hermes will carry that for £2.79 - just book it via their website (i.e. don't import from ebay).
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    My own thoughts are that you have a difficult buyer.
    Post / packing costs were visable before purchase. arguing about them after would have all my alarm bells ringing.
    Myself I would not be sending to this buyer. I think I would have cancelled as problems with address ( no defect and refunded fees)
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks again

Not sure you've clocked that Soolin isn't applauding your bravery - she's issuing a warning about sellers who charge postage which is too high....
  • dontone
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    Not sure you've clocked that Soolin isn't applauding your bravery - she's issuing a warning about sellers who charge postage which is too high....

I know she isn't. She's just given a bit of advice, which is all I wanted. I wasn't sure if I would be penalised for doing a refund, she confirmed it, end of. I am grateful to her for taking the time to respond.
    TBH, I think that this will be the last time that I will ask for advice on the section of the forum. I felt a bit like I was being chastised and all I wanted was a neutral opinion.
    My p&p costs are there for all to see, I don't hide anything from anybody who wishes to bid on my items. I don't mind if people don't bid if they think it is too high, it is entirely up to them. What my problem was, was that this person bid, won and started with an attitude after they paid.
    I just wanted to ask a WWYD? question.
    Now, can this thread be closed now please? Thankyou.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• dontone
    Options
    Post / packing costs were visable before purchase. arguing about them after would have all my alarm bells ringing.
    Myself I would not be sending to this buyer. I think I would have cancelled as problems with address ( no defect and refunded fees)

Just a quick response. Thankyou for replying. I've wrapped it, but taken tons of photos. I'm still very wary. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks again.

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options

I concur. I would not send and cancel, I never get into debates with buyers. Don't like the costs you agreed to when you made the offer or buy it now? Then it's cancelled. No ifs, no buts and onto the block list you go.

I strongly advise the seller not to post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure