Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Options

Comments

• sue.b_2
    sue.b_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does she babysit, give you money when you are short, lend you her car, etc? Give it to her.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    sue.b wrote: »
    Does she babysit, give you money when you are short, lend you her car, etc? Give it to her.

If the answer is no - don't give it to her;)
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    RichardGB wrote: »
    Google no charge sung by tammy wynette, listen to the song and you'll have your answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n07Yy8orns4

I recall this version - still makes me want to throw up!
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister wanted to give our mum her old iPhone 4 when she upgraded but mum kept trying to give her money for it. In the end she said she was going to keep it as a spare, then put a good value payg sim in it and wrapped it up for her as an extra Xmas present. She still tried to pay for it but caved in eventually and was so grateful.

Stop being mean!
  • bullarita
    Options
    How much did your mother charged you for your odorous nappies, clothing, food, treats, educations, home, debts, pets, time and caring? I know what my reply would be to my son if he charged me for something that he is getting rid of purely for the reason of being up to date. Well, I assume your old phone is still working, but with the moral compass you have displayed in your query, perhaps not...
  • mancmum
    Options
    We spent a for us a lot of money buying a mobile phone to try and get Nana able to call taxis when she was out. She never used it and Orange stole the £20.00 credit we had put on it for her. I think she might have used it if she knew how much money we had paid for it. Make sure Mum knows what it is worth when you give it to her.
  • Cookie1986
    Options
    I don’t think it’s immoral to sell an asset to a friend rather than giving something away to your mum, the dynamic of everybody’s family is different so there is not one correct answer.

It’s would however be clearly a nice thing to do so I think the best thing to do is talk to your mum
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    And for next week's moral question MSE style

"My Mum is joining us for Christmas dinner should I charge her for her meal ?"

Sheeesh !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If a genuine dilemma, the OP is an ungrateful git.

Give it to your mum.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • ykhan16
    Options
    Maybe if it was worth a lot more I would understand, but £50? Don't know what this persons financial situation is but it does seem overly finicky for this amount of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure