WARNING ebay and paypal spoof emails

Options

Comments

• kianicky
    kianicky Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    has anyone else gotta an email saying that paypal are gonna be doing a topup type visa card. just wanted to check that this was real and not a spoof.
    Vegetarian's Do Not!!!! eat fish :mad:

2015 comp wins: July: Travel wallet (Yazoo competition) :j :t
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a real Paypal Visa card email doing the rounds, but even so still don't click on anything, if you want to know more check your paypal account safely for info...just in case!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    New real one doing the rounds on how to spot a spoof email and how they're working with Yahoo and Gmail to eradicate spoofs.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • snoopy_and_woodstock
    Options
    Hi

I've just been bombarded with phishing emails after selling a mobile (I know, I know!!!) an hour after it sold eBay deleted the transaction and refunded my fees.

The next morning i had several emails supposedly from eBay and PayPal which i ignored and reported but what shocked me was that they then took it up a pace threatening me with legal action and bailiffs if i didn't reply and click in the email. All this was the same day so just a touch impatient!!!!

Snoops x
    Chaos is Life, Life is chaos. Control is an illusion :cool:

Proud To Be Dealings With My Debts :j
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    I just got a fake paypal e-mail.Sorry I have deleted it so cannot post it to show you what it looked like.It said I had just recieved an e-cheque payment.It was set out like a paypal e-mail with their colours and logos but a real paypal e-cheque e-mail is very plain with no logo,picture or fancy set out text at all.The fake stated-
    Dear(my first initial and surname)you have just recieved an e-cheque payment,whereas THE REAL ONE WOULD use my full name and user id and say pending e-cheque payment recieved for (item number) from (buyers id) (buyers e-mail address).
    Hope this may help someone else spot a fake.Just never click on anything and permanently delete the e-mail after forwarding it to [EMAIL="spoof@ebay.co.uk,spam@ebay.co.uk"]spoof@ebay.co.uk,spam@ebay.co.uk[/EMAIL] and the same at paypal.co.uk
    It is important to forward suspected fake e-mails to ebay as they will work to quickly disable sites or pages the links in it lead to thus protecting others who do not recognise the fake.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Received an email from paypal today. Normally spam emails don't have my name on it - this one did. It said I'd ordered a leather bound encyclopaedia from greatdealsforu for $199.99

I checked my paypal account, not through the email, and luckily nothing was showing up with this on it. I reported it to [EMAIL="spoof@paypal.com"]spoof@paypal.com[/EMAIL] and also AOL.

The scary thing is how did they get my name???
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • shaani_2
    Options
    I have Mcafee Siteadvisor installed which is free, I have recieved spoof emails asking to update my bank details- but when i click through the siteadvisor turns red so i know this is a phishing website.
    I think this is a good protection to install, it stays green when the site is ok but turns red for dodgy sites.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shaani wrote: »
    I have Mcafee Siteadvisor installed which is free, I have recieved spoof emails asking to update my bank details- but when i click through the siteadvisor turns red so i know this is a phishing website.
    I think this is a good protection to install, it stays green when the site is ok but turns red for dodgy sites.

Please please don't rely on email virus protection to look after you. You shouldn't need to check with Mcafee these spoofs should be obvious and if you learn to just delete them and not even give them a second glance you'll be safer in the long run than relying on third party assistance that one day might fail.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • frivolous_fay
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    you'll be safer in the long run than relying on third party assistance that one day might fail.

I have to agree, and here's an example. Not ebay related, but nasty.

One of my older email accounts gets a lot of spam. BT Yahoo is fairly good at junking it as soon as it comes into my account, but sometimes they make it into my Inbox. Yesterday one did.

I immediately identified it as either spoof or spam, and junked it. For some reason BT Yahoo still generated an email to warn me that the email had contained a virus *. This warning email had the original email attached. The original email had an attachment, a zip file, which we took to be the virus file.

*Don't try this at home folks unless you know what you're doing*
    So for academic interest, O/H and I decided to scan the attachment with our respective antiviruses. (Avast and AVG). Neither of them picked up a virus.

If you google the file name of the attachment, you get a grand total of 3 hits. This is a new virus email, and it goes to show that you can't trust your software to protect you - you have to be on the alert for this kind of thing.

How did I know it was a spoof? The subject: 'Your internet is going to get cancelled'

* O/H thinks the warning message was also a spoof... but I can't see the point in that?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • aaron772
    aaron772 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    We get loads of these types of emails whenever we buy anything expensive or sort after items from ebay most of the time our virus scanner puts them in the trash so we just ignore them, just be carefull i know quite a few people that have been scammed by these types of email

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback