Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    "Things can only get better" is what they said about HBOS and the Weimar Republic.

I Googled the Greek stock market and got an article from the Torygraph's share tipster in July 2015 saying he'd bought a Greek ETF on pretty much the same logic as you. Assuming he's still got it, he's lost 25% of his money, compared to a 40% gain if he'd invested in the FTSE World over the same time period. But hey, that means the Greek stockmarket is even better value than when the Torygraph was tipping it.

Sometimes shares crash for a very good reason, because they're crap.

I would not base any investment decision on an article in a newspaper, for many many reasons. Experts repeatedly predicted over a period of 20 years that the Japanese market was the place to be. Their prediction came true a few years ago, during which time money sensibly invested elsewhere would have grown many times over.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    You bought it:eek:

That's not very MSE. Is there no library near you gadgetmind?:p

It wasn't a cheap book but I expect to get value from it. It's also not a lot in the grand scheme of things, particularly as a few things are likely to come good over the next few weeks.

bigadaj wrote: »
    It would probably cost him more in petrol given the length of his drive.

Were I to go to our local library, I'd cycle there. Keeps me fit, saves money, etc. :D
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Were I to go to our local library, I'd cycle there. Keeps me fit, saves money, etc. :D

Ah but cyclists are statistically more likely to eat lentils and beans, which of course increases the likelihood of flatulence. Do you realise that methane - a key consitutent of flatulence related emissions - is a vastly more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide? So you see this is a perfect example of unintended consequences. You thought you were being virtuous but in reality you are at heart thoroughly evil. Get back in your 4 by 4. :D
  • Ed_Zep
    Ed_Zep Posts: 340 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2017 at 6:08PM
    Options
    I've got about 18-20 years until retirement.

I've invested in VLS 100. I think over that term it'll do just fine, particularly because it's spread over many indices.

There is always the "Bonkers Investment Strategy" for those feeling more speculative. Momentum investing at it's best!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/funds/investing-formula-bonkers-method-produced-5662pc-returns-will/
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Ed_Zep wrote: »
    I've got about 18-20 years until retirement.

I've invested in VLS 100. I think over that term it'll do just fine, particularly because it's spread over many indices.

There is always the "Bonkers Investment Strategy" for those feeling more speculative. Momentum investing at it's best!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/funds/investing-formula-bonkers-method-produced-5662pc-returns-will/

If I were younger I'd be tempted to set aside £6,000 and try that approach. However, I'm a few years from early retirement, so I am taking a less adventurous approach. I wonder if anyone here is trying it?
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    As footnote, I wonder what happens when you account for the time to transfer between funds, given that it can take a week or more?
  • jim8089
    Options
    Hi, guys. I've just invested £2k in the Lifestrategy100 and I've set it up to pay in £300 a month, and then I'm going to throw in whatever I can every now and again.

I'm now not entirely sure the LS100 was the best choice as I am looking to be investing fairly short term (5 years), with the outlook of having a fairly decent house deposit at the end of the 5 years. Would I be better safeguarding my investment with something like the 40 or 60 for those 5 years? I understand its all personal preference, I'm just trying to figure out the smartest option for the short investment time.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 19 December 2017 at 9:50AM
    Options
    jim8089 wrote: »
    Hi, guys. I've just invested £2k in the Lifestrategy100 and I've set it up to pay in £300 a month, and then I'm going to throw in whatever I can every now and again.

I'm now not entirely sure the LS100 was the best choice as I am looking to be investing fairly short term (5 years), with the outlook of having a fairly decent house deposit at the end of the 5 years.

Equity-based investment is best approached with a timescale of 10 years plus. You know that there will be lots of ups and downs over the course of an economic cycle so if you want to have an expectation of getting anything close to the "long term" average (inflation plus a few percent) you need to be able to wait it out for one or two cycles.

If you put money in an index over only the short term, you are basically spinning a wheel of fortune or hitting the start button on a random number generator and saying you'll be happy with the result whatever it is. It could be +25%, it could be -40%.

Also if you're not putting the whole lot in for the whole five years, just doing a little up front and then 3-4k a year, most of your money isn't invested for anything like as much as five years. There will be a couple of thousand at the end that isn't even invested on average five months. That's a long way short of the decade plus timescale over which you might expect to approach an 'average' return.

If you add bonds to the mix, like in the 60% equity product, you'll take the edge off the peaks and troughs and reduce the chance of you seeing the fund's NAV per share halving over a couple of years which would no doubt annoy you greatly if you had a substantial amount invested by the time it happens.

As you say, it's personal preference in terms of saying you would prefer to maximise the chance of gains or potential significant losses versus, not doing that.

Let's say, you invest £6k this year at £100 per share and it increases in value 4%. Then you invest another £5k next year at £104 per share and the whole lot goes down 1%. In year three, you add another £10k and the whole lot goes up 3%. Then in year four while the price is £106 per share, you add £5k while the price falls 45% to £58 per share. Then in year five you add the last £3k and it goes down another 4% to £56 per share. In year six it goes up by 10% to £62.

So, six years in to your five year plan to buy a house, you are at £62 a share and only need the fund to rise by a further 60% to get back over £100 (the level at which the majority of your purchases took place). That might happen over the next year, or over the five to ten years that follow.

If your timescale for buying the house is very flexible, that might be fine. Who knows what mortgage borrowing conditions will be like in a decade from now though. You may think, well who knows what borrowing conditions and house prices will be like in five years never mind ten... Fair point, and another reason not to leave your deposit funds on a 100% equity roulette wheel.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am intending to invest in VLS100 from April next year (I have to wait as fooled around and then closed a S&S ISA earlier this year).

I will likely start with a fairly modest investment (~£1000) and then pay in a regular monthly sum of £150-200.

I do a fair amount of banking with the Halifax already, but I understand investing directly through Vanguard will be cheaper for the first few years as their fees are percentage based. Once my pot is £10k+, then it may be time to transfer to Halifax S&S ISA as the fees are a flat fee.

Have I understood that correctly? Is the reduction in fees worth the hassle of switching from Vanguard to Halifax, when I already have a pre-existing relationship with Halifax?

This money, on top of my pension contributions, does not have any predetermined purpose - it is intended as a plaything to get me start in S&S, as am comfortable with other savings etc. I am currently 31, so can afford a long-term outlook with the ISA.
  • suts
    suts Posts: 18 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    I currently have some money in a Fidelity Blackrock World Equity Fund which is doing well but not in an ISA!

I plan to start moving it into an ISA and was wondering if the equities portion of the Vanguard 80/20 was in anyway comparable to the Fidelity fund?

TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport