PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes, don't be disheartened Butterfly Brain, the thread will be very useful to genuine OS'ers, there's already loads of good info and advice on here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Butterfly Brain; I've printed out your menu for my son who is finding things very hard at the moment. Thank you.
  • Malfiore
    Malfiore Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Butterfly Brain your menu plan is brilliant and is incredibly useful for lots of people on here, even people who aren't in complete dire straits.

I don't think the OP is genuine, the post is rude and there has been no follow up post requesting more info or to say thank you - if you were desperate you would check back for an answer, particularly if it was your first post.

Sorry to be suspicious as well, but if I had nothing in my cupboards (really?) and I only had the very specific amount of £1 per day for 2 people, I would be incredibly grateful and thankful for the help, not make a comment about people here being 'up for a challenge', way too rude for a person apparently struggling. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but maybe a thank you would do some good here OP.
    Weight 21/08/12 - 11st 4lb :eek: Target of 10st....
    11st 2lbs...
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm printing out this menu for a friend of mine who is rather hard up atm, so if you do do a 2nd week menu Butterfly-Brain, I would love to read it :)

And fwiw, my 41 year old sister has nothing in her cupboards apart from one tin of peas and several bars of chocolate :eek:. Also nothing at all in the fridge or freezer. She lives alone, doesn't cook at all, she eats lunch at work then snacks on chocolate all day. No evening meal unless she goes out with her bf or friends, same at the weekends. How she hasn't died from lack of nutrients/vitamins etc I will never know, but she says she feels healthy enough.
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • PhGage
    PhGage Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    @ButterflyBrain and @Quintwins

I've sent links to your posts to several people who need them as they are very practical stopgaps for people in financial straits. I admire your ingenuity.

Frozen vegetables are fine: they can have more vitamins than some fresh samples.
    August grocery challenge: £8.65/£300

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. (attrib.) Benjamin Franklin
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i agree BUTTERFLYBRAIN your menu plan is great and i sort of thought the person was a waster as she /it never replyied to ANY of the good ideas given, i know if i ask a question to the board i wait and thank people for their advice. Well i am going to take some of your meals from your plan and use them this week as im skint !!!!! so thank you very much one and all xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Thank you all. You have restored my faith a little, but I am still stinging. I will work on the menu and post to anyone who has requested it by PM. Oh and johnnyboy you have been reported as spam :mad:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BB don't take it to heart i know i read alot on here before i joined thats why i don't mind posting with no thanks as i know someone will be thankful somewhere. and we nearly always have frozen veg it reduces waste and aslong as you don't overcook it tastes the same, i only buy fresh if it's reduced or on offer

btw nothing wrong with abit of fried spam from time to time :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • rozmister
    rozmister Posts: 675 Forumite
    Options
    Butterfly Brain I was really impressed with your menu!

I'm really lucky that although I'm penniless right now I built up a strong store cupboard just in case so I'm just eating that at the moment.

One thing I have now to try and get me in my five a day is basic tinned fruit. I get the peaches from sainsburys (Basics) which are 31p a tin. They're in juice (that my housemate drinks because I don't like juice) so they're not dripping in syrup or anything.

Another good one is the Aldi 39p Super Six which sometimes has fruit in it. I had nectarines from that last week and they were so gorgeous! Nicer than some much more expensive supermarket brands.

I know choices like this would ate a pound or two to the budget over the week but I think it's really worth it for the health benefits of eating a decent amount of fruit and veg :)
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Butterfly Brain and all the other wonderful OS posters - please don't feel disheartened by this thread, the help you give everyone is so so useful, I just wish I was as resourceful as you!

Keep it up :) xx
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure