water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• Micky2
    Micky2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2011 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Hi ,, I have been reading with interest ... I have some knowledge of water softening, but I'm not in the industry .. I have had a water softener for over 20 years .. it was a timed single cylinder, the talk of timed as not controllable if not strictly true ,, when I'm away I just turn the timer off .. so no unwanted regenerations .. job done .. Also I only regenerated when necessary because I tested the water for hardness, most people on here would not have the test kit .. I worked with steam generation plant 60,000 lbs an hr off peak 100,000 lb norm .. also we had water softeners around the site for showers ect .. mostly large kit for several hundred people to shower daily.. so all in all a lot of soft water .. steam boilers don't like scale!!! .. so Would I buy a twin cylinder? or a single .. ummm for me I would have the single because of the cost and as normal regeneration is in the small hrs when I'm asleep, but twins are OK if that's the way you want to go.. I am about to fit a new one as I have moved home .. the choice is a Hi Flow for my system with Hi Flow pipe work .. now my Question ... Flec valve or Auto Troll .. comments Please :T
  • Matt_Filterman
    Options
    Fleck 5600, Autotrol 255 Logix or my present favourite Clack WS1 which has a full 1" inlet/ outlet connection manifold at the back (good for flow rates).
    Clack have, without doubt, produced the best, easiest to service, reliable and versatile control valve on this planet..

I don't know much about modern Erie valves.. worked on some 541s back in the 90s and they were awful!.. along with Culligan I've never forgiven them for producing such a hopeless piece of kit compared to what was available from Fleck or Autotrol.
    Matt
  • semo
    semo Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Fleck 5600, Autotrol 255 Logix or my present favourite Clack WS1 which has a full 1" inlet/ outlet connection manifold at the back (good for flow rates).
    Clack have, without doubt, produced the best, easiest to service, reliable and versatile control valve on this planet..

I don't know much about modern Erie valves.. worked on some 541s back in the 90s and they were awful!.. along with Culligan I've never forgiven them for producing such a hopeless piece of kit compared to what was available from Fleck or Autotrol.
    Matt
    Could you recommend suppliers of water softeners that use these control valves?
  • Matt_Filterman
    Options
    Hi semo.
    Can't really recommend any particular company.. it'd be worth phoning your local water treatment company up and asking them what valves they use.. and don't get talked into buying something horrible!.. there's lots of good kit out there and some absolute dogs.. If you can get whichever company to supply a softener with a Clack WS1 CI valve you'll be safe.. Fleck, Autotrol and from what I can tell Ecowater and Tapworks are all good valves.. just love the Clack though..
    Matt
  • Micky2
    Options
    I have found tablet salt @ £8-56 for 25kg .. has anyone got a better price? :beer:
  • semo
    semo Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Hi semo.
    Can't really recommend any particular company.. it'd be worth phoning your local water treatment company up and asking them what valves they use.. and don't get talked into buying something horrible!.. there's lots of good kit out there and some absolute dogs.. If you can get whichever company to supply a softener with a Clack WS1 CI valve you'll be safe.. Fleck, Autotrol and from what I can tell Ecowater and Tapworks are all good valves.. just love the Clack though..
    Matt
    Thanks Matt. Since I have no idea who my local water treatment company is (surely not Thames water?) I am planning on going with Joe's supplier and the 15L unit below.
    http://www.299softeners.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=231

I can sound like a Mr. smarty pants on the phone and ask for a Clack WS1 valve, etc... but the salesman will only say "yeah, yeah of course"... Who am I to prove them wrong? There is no honesty left in rip off Britain (you can tell I've been having less than pleasant customer service experiences for a while)
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Micky2 wrote: »
    I have found tablet salt @ £8-56 for 25kg .. has anyone got a better price? :beer:

Mole Valley Farmers - £5 something a 25kG bag inc VAT.
  • Micky2
    Options
    Mole Valley Farmers at Frome, Tablets are out of stock at the moment but are on order .. 25kg bags of Bio Soft tablets are £5.04 inc vat or Granules 25kg £5.16 inc vat (in stock)...
    With the price of fuel .. I will buy 6 bags to cut down the costs..:beer:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Micky2 wrote: »
    Mole Valley Farmers at Frome,

that's where I go !
  • VjTheDj
    VjTheDj Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 August 2011 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Our Prismertec is now dead after 18yrs. We had a 10yr warranty that cost £24pa and was well worth it as we had issues from year 5, then had the entire unit replaced in year 10! Culligan (was Aquadial) also carried on servicing the unit for another 4-5 years on and off (most engineers couldn't sort it, one did finally). Then it went again and they decided I needed a new unit. That was 1-2 years ago so we carried on using it though the salt consumption went from 1x25kg bag 4-6wks to fortnightly. I didn't fill any salt for a few weeks recently so now it's busted - water overflowing! So people do please keep the salt levels refilled.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback