Everything is possible if you try!

Options

Comments

• SnowBallBunny
    Options
    Welcome to DFW!

Regarding keeping an eye on your finances, I check my bank balances daily, that's one thing that's really helped me to keep an eye on things. Otherwise you could keep a spreadsheet and track your progress that way.

Also watching lots of Dave Ramsey videos on Youtube has helped. On his channel you'll find lots of people's debt stories, either people asking him questions about their current situation or people celebrating having paid off debt, often very large amounts.

I really like your thread title, yes, Eveything is possible if you try! :beer:
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/£5,322.56 Debit Card £5,000/£2975.3 Credit Card 2 £1200/0 Tax Bill £750/£0 Library Fine £90/£0 Accountancy Bill £720/£0 Cancelled Art Project Donation £15/£0
    Total £13,199/£8298

A SnowballBunny, hopping my way to Financial Freedom. :j
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Had a pretty good weekend, with friends and boardgames :)
    This week's "big pot" dinner is a huge load of ratatouille I made yesterday. We have another couple of meals out of it. I did go slightly over budget shopping this weekend, but this was due to purchase of a new clothes airer as the old one has completely collapsed.
    Took a couple of friends to Chatsworth christmas market today (they paid fuel and parking as I drove). I only took as much cash with me as I had budgeted, and no card temptations. Had a lovely walk, and just got a little elephant tree ornament for Kitty (elephants being her favourites).
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just chirping in to say well done and keep going! You seem to have taken the ideas and support form everyone here and have created a new financially-healthier lifestyle for you and your daughter. Don't be too hard on yourself as you've come a long way, no one is perfect but you're still trying. It's nice to see the difference in your confidence in tackling this debt - comparing the start of this thread to now you seem more prepared and confident in your ability to deal with it. I hope you notice this difference too along with the difference in the debt levels :)
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Mmm ratatouille sounds fabulous - that's something I do from time to time as well. and well done on just taking cash to Chatsworth - I can well imagine there might be a lot of temptations to spend at something like that! Hope Kitty liked her elephant!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    There were so many temptations ... I was glad I limited myself, and still had a lovely day :)
    I've been staying away from computers and screens a bit while I'm off (and last week, at GP review he advised getting outside as much as possible), so I've been getting outside for wintry walks!
    Time off work has also given me thinking time to try and figure out what to do next, I'm having a couple of sessions with a career/life coach to try and identify skills and focus etc. (Thanks to parents for funding, they are amazing!).
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    There were so many temptations ... I was glad I limited myself, and still had a lovely day :)
    I've been staying away from computers and screens a bit while I'm off (and last week, at GP review he advised getting outside as much as possible), so I've been getting outside for wintry walks!
    Time off work has also given me thinking time to try and figure out what to do next, I'm having a couple of sessions with a career/life coach to try and identify skills and focus etc. (Thanks to parents for funding, they are amazing!).

You're doing great Tea&Kittens! It's a great idea with staying away from screens, I think I need that too over the hols.

Loving the career coach idea, that's a great present. Let us know what comes out of that, some of those life coaches can be really good.
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    I met the coach just over a week ago for a preliminary meeting, had a load of things to think about. Filled in lots of things which should help with the coaching sessions. First proper one tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great idea the life/career coach , hope it goes well. Chatsworth is beautiful at Christmas as well , well done on avoiding temptation.
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Think I'm just about on track for christmas! Slightly low on funds at the minute, but Kittys dad is late with the monthly payment. This is really frustrating!
    I was given an unexpected gift, so I've raided my jewellery masking supplies and made wine glass charms as a return gift... they look quite pretty!
    Garlic chicken and roast beef hotpot is keeping us fed this week!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Ooh your food sounds lovely again! And great work on the return of the unexpected gift too - what a lovely idea! Nice to have skills that you can put into use when something like that arises. :D

The coaching thing sounds like a great idea to help you see through all the "stuff & expectations" and to the root of what you really want to do.

Hope Kitty's Dad sticks his hand in his pocket sooner rather than later - not the ideal time of year to be low on funds!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business