Carrot cake in the oven

Options
supersaver1000
supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 23 March 2014 at 9:04AM in Debt free diaries
I've just made my first ever carrot cakes and they are baking in the oven. It was actually quite soothing, I'm glad I made the effort to get the ingredients yesterday, it might be my new Sunday morning alternative to mooching about worrying.

We've quite a few debts - yet again! I guess I'm not the only one on here to be a yoyo'er. ( pay debts off/get back in debt again). We've sold the house a few years ago and paid it off then here we are again on the merry go round. I've decided this time is the last time and now wondering whether I spoke too soon and jinxed it.

I moved from a really secure job where to be honest I was too comfortable and coasting a bit. So decided to stretch myself but think I've taken on too much. 20 staff and some very challenging ones and lots of financial and safety responsibility. However I haven't passed my probation and am going to have some support for another 6 months. I really don't known if the stress and extra hours are worth it and now I have more worry about what will happen in 6 months time.

Oh well carrot cakes need to come out but feel better for getting that off my chest. :-(
OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
£1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved

Comments

• supersaver1000
    Options
    Carrot cakes yummy. I only needed to buy an orange and cream cheese yesterday as I had all other ingredients. DD says they are yummy. However The recipe for the cream cheese frosting has made about 3 times too much and part way through my THIRD one I started to feel ill. Yes three I know. I've saved the last bit of the third one in a bowl. Not sure what to do with the rest of the frosting. Also once the frosting is on should I put the cakes in the fridge? Hmm there's a slight flaw in this recipe.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Okay. Just added the amount we owe to Scottish power so total debt gone up. The direct debit is now £105 (from £72) which I don't mind as 1 it comes out of my Santander 123 account and 2 it will pay it off quicker as I want to then switch to Daligas.

After paying off the spend on ccc1 and the store card I am going to set the overdraft in my sights. We are constantly (almost) up to the limit and I'm robbing other accounts to make sure we don't go over. I'd like to get it down to £1000 to start with as there's no interest then. I don't want to use existing savings as I did that before then just immediately spent to limit again - felt like I'd just lost £1750, I'd Like to save up £750 separately and then pay it in and cut od down to £1000. Cc1 and store card should be paid this month.

Then we should have another £2k coming into savings soon, fingers crossed. I've decided to keep it all in savings rather than pay off the debts. Particularly considering my job worries.

Apologies to anyone who comes across my diary and feels depressed. I'm just in that mood at the moment and it's really helping me to write it all down.
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi!

You're definitely not alone in returning - me too - welcome back and with carrot cakes too, they sound yum. :D

Keep posting, it does help to get it all out I find. Empty the mind and start afresh.

Sorry to hear work is difficult. I left a job that doesn't sound too dissimilar, bit off more than I could chew, but glad you are getting support and hopefully that will all come good.

Have just moved over to Daligas - went via energylinx for £17 cashback which was paid into my account last week and our direct debit is £22 less per month - a big saving and well worth it. Now I'm quibbling a few pence on the final bill from our old supplier - just call me tight :rotfl:

Good luck with your debt-free plan and journey and I'll tag along for the ride if I may :D
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • supersaver1000
    edited 23 March 2014 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Ali-OK wrote: »
    Hi!

You're definitely not alone in returning - me too - welcome back and with carrot cakes too, they sound yum. :D

Keep posting, it does help to get it all out I find. Empty the mind and start afresh.

Sorry to hear work is difficult. I left a job that doesn't sound too dissimilar, bit off more than I could chew, but glad you are getting support and hopefully that will all come good.

Have just moved over to Daligas - went via energylinx for £17 cashback which was paid into my account last week and our direct debit is £22 less per month - a big saving and well worth it. Now I'm quibbling a few pence on the final bill from our old supplier - just call me tight :rotfl:

Good luck with your debt-free plan and journey and I'll tag along for the ride if I may :D

Thank you so much - really appreciated. :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm going to give it some time with work but have another application in and one in progress just in case.

I'll give. The Daligas link a go. I'd like to change soon really because it looks like it would be better to have a bit built up for winter - I like to keep my direct debit the same if poss.

Pence better in your pocket than theirs - I'm totally with you on that

Nice to have you along. :-)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Pops in to say hello.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • supersaver1000
    edited 30 March 2014 at 10:53AM
    Options
    I'm not sure where this week has gone but it's Sunday again and although I've popped into the other threads I haven't had the focus to update my own thread.

Thank you Aok for your post, it was really appreciated and Hi Beanie Lou to you too!

Not too bad a week at work, lots still going on but I'm feeling more confident about myself, my own self value, ability to survive without them and to get another (and better) job if I need to or I may even decide to do that anyway. Thanks to all the MSE'ers encouragement.

OH got paid on Friday so I've paid a few things early (itching to get going) and have also done the sums even though the direct debits not gone yet. The next two weeks will be busy at work so I wanted to change my signature to keep me focused (!). I realised I'd done the sums wrong (!) so have recalculated and it's 5% I've paid off (not 8.5%) but that still a lovely feeling. I've drawn up 100 squares and am going to colour one in each time I pay off 1 %. Can't wait to see it fill up.

It won't be so many next month as OH had a bit extra from work this month and I had a final payment from my old job. Nice that has gone to paying off our MrT card though. I'm keeping the card and using it for groceries then paying each spend straight away - I can do this from my phone now and it means no huge surprise at the month end. Plus I earn Clubcard points - very nice.

Just waiting for the Santander 123 statement to show the payments for the direct debs. I transferred some of the savings so that we can make the 3% interest. It was in an ISA but I think there's slightly more interest from the 123. Excited at the prospect of a bit more interest and also the rates will be paid by ddeb in April and the gas ddeb gone up so will be more cash back again. I think I'm going to push the gas direct debit right up to pay it off as soon as I can so that I can switch. These next few months should see usage down to about £60 a month. Ddeb is currently £105 so if I push the ddeb to £185 that should see it off by July. I want to switch to Daligas in the summer (thanks Aok - I must keep that link) so I can build up a bit of credit as I'd like the payment to be the same each month. Although July might be leaving it a bit late so I may need to up it slightly to start. I know serious MSEs will probably say to leave the money in my account rather than the gas company's but I'd rather just have one less thing to think about.

Had a bit of a shop yesterday. Took a few sale bits back to Next that didn't fit dd. However that means my next bill will be only £16 as I had a £10 off a £25 code and bought 4 tops for £16 - 2 for work and 2 for home (nice treat). I had another two codes come through so will see if OH and DD NEED anything. Then went to Boots and spent my £5/£3 vouchers. I love the no.7 wipes so 3 for 2 on those a no brainer and bought some foundation as well. Cost £16ish but well under half price and all will be used. (I almost bought some facial things but I used to follow the 'no buying any toiletries' thread and I managed to avoid that mistake narrowly.

Went to the Halifax while in town to get DDs saving book updated as 6% saver annual transfer was in March. She's opted to have £10 of £20 pocket money paid in each month, so was nearly £130 including interest. She's asked for £15 in future but that means only £5 to spend each month so I'm wary that my purse will take a hit. She did really well on the music magpie site so I may have to set her to work again.

Visit to Mr Ts and spent over £80. However as well as weeks meals got lots of bargains which will last for the month and I also took my vouchers with me and have some bits and pieces that will get used and were good value and earned more points. I'm in a much better position this month, although it's not perfect I feel that there is not quite the desperation of starting the month with almost nothing once the bills have been paid.

Hope this hasn't been too depressing reading for anyone who happens across it. Happy Mother's Day to everyone. I'm enjoying a lovely granola cake from my Emma Bridgewater plate (the start of my collection hopefully) with a nice coffee. Have a great Sunday and a good week to all! :rotfl::beer::T

Oh I almost forgot. My signature is now ordered so that I'll start with the bottom bills and work my way up ie gas is priority. I also forgot to mention that I have to claim the cash back for the phones4u contract. Wish me luck as I've heard a few negatives.

And finally I'm really pleased that our debt apart from my car is less than £20k. I know it's still a lot but it doesn't seem that long ago just the cards were £25k. We are definitely heading in right direction. Hold her steady please!!! Fingers crossed

Oh and final final thing. Mr SS has seemed to grasp the idea of not spending what you haven't got. He has saved some cash ready for an outing he has planned in a couple of weeks. This has never been heard of before. I am so excited - many will think thats pathetic but it is such a relief, I know those in a similar boat will understand. Yayyyyy
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    It makes such a difference when both parts of the couple buy in. You're doing really well not just with the payments but also with the conversion of mr.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    It makes such a difference when both parts of the couple buy in. You're doing really well not just with the payments but also with the conversion of mr.

Thank you INOD. Its been a hard journey. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to save 10p when mr. is splurging on the ccs. For sometime now though the ccs have been steadily coming down and not at the expense of the savings. DH was moaning about not having a holiday this year, but honestly he gets a good enough 'allowance' now to save up and take us all away - I've gently pointed that out and will keep going with the conversion. He has given up smoking (and now that comes out of his allowance it will be another incentive to stay given up this time). Drinking is allowed once a week unless a special occasion - I buy 4 large cans from the household budget and if he wants the hardstuff it comes from the allowance - hilarious that he came home with a miniature yesterday, which isn't the best value for money but I think this is one instance where I want the least for most.

LoL better get to work now. Have a great week and thanks for popping by. :rotfl:
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Well I've been messing around with my signature this weekend no end. Not sure if it's a displacement activity as I need to get the job app finished, but I've been telling myself it's because I want to get it all straight in my head.

I figured that I'd save well over £5 a month in interest if the od wasn't over the 0% £1k limit. So I took the plunge and transferred £732.50 into the current account. I'm going to keep the od limit at £1750 as I figure that could be useful in an emergency. It was a bit nerve wracking as I've cleared it before and ended up mysteriously spending up to the limit again. However this time I feel confident, but nervous that I've taken it from the savings. However £60 a year must be worth it and it feels good to see the od as £1000 now.

I also want to pay a bit more off the other debts but not sure which at the mo. I'm trying to keep the car slightly separate. I know it's a debt but it's also an asset. The webuyanycar value is about £10,500 so it's negative equity at the moment but in about 6 months will be at the point where it will have caught up with itself and also at the point where if I wanted to I could just hand it back - not that I want to do that. This is my car for life now, I ended up with it due to a massive change and it's lost half it's value in the first two years but I certainly plan to keep it now.

I did pay £65 extra this month and it reduced the payments by £3 a month. I need to make a decision whether I pay any more extra and if so how much and do I reduce my payments or reduce the length. £65 didn't reduce the interest at all so I reduced the payment. I guess I could ring the company again and ask them to give me a few figures on a larger extra payment sum.

I'd ideally like to pay off one of the credit cards and release about £100 a month and save £28 in interest. That can then snowball the other cards or the car or both, however I am really nervous about using the savings. I think I may leave that until the job situation secure and seek some advice from the forum in the meantime.

Had a much better week. Really overwhelmed by the support on MSE and I thank you all and send you support back. DD made more cakes and I spoke too soon as more mess again. I mopped up the sticky floor yesterday (thanks to the flying thread) and have agreed with DD that cake making also means clearing up after too. Cakes were lovely but feel really bloated now so hopefully well have a break for a while. Apparently soup making this week - we have leek and potatoes so at least my feet won't be sticking to the floor with icing sugar and cake mix. :rotfl:

Spent £42 in MrT yesterday. Not bad as I bought 2 packs bacon, 2.5kg pork joint for £7.45, lots of milk, bread, ham etc. and also a savings pot for grandma reduced to £1.25.

I've won an electric steamer cooker on eBay for £5. Hope it will be worth it but if not will eBay again. Also got a bid on a large table for £25. I won't go over £30 and I know it's a spend but it will save me sanding down our old one which I will sell on eBay and it's much larger.

I think that's about it, except to do list:
    Ironing
    Clean bathrooms
    Complete job application
    Empty fish tank and eBay it (poor goldie)
    Search for more eBay items
    Decide which day to take the charity bags in and do it
    Post off the phones 4u claim forms recorded delivery

Have a good week to all MSEr's :beer:
  • supersaver1000
    edited 6 April 2014 at 3:12PM
    Options
    LOL, been messing around with my signature again! I put the calculations into excel this time and realised I was £1000 less in total debt than I thought - hope I've got the figures right now. Was worth the time to do that and its made it a little clearer where I should pay some of the savings to. I think I should pay enough off the car to bring it down to its value (i.e. to £10,500 - which feels comfortable to me), and then pay whatever I feel comfortable giving up should come off the credit cards. I'm going to pay off the rest of the overdraft by just underspending each month rather than use savings. Right off to do that application and clean out the fish tank (poor goldie), I've done the ironing and the claim from phones4u is in the envelope ready to go recorded delivery tomorrow! :rotfl:

I've just realised that the £1000 was my Mr T cc that I paid off at the end of March
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure