Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Thank you for posting the link to your original thread Mooloo. I had wanted to read it but hadn't been able to find it :)

I might pm you with a query about sewing machines in the near future if that would be all right?

Your welcome! It may take some time to read!
    I have been told many times that I should write a book! But I don't think I have the time! Although my brother is now sharing stories about our lives in Africa with a forum in France he is on. And he is thinking of compiling a book about our childhood.
    I confess that he was 6 years older than me so he remembers more than I do. I do remember that we would drive into the game park at dusk to watch the animals come out to the water holes, and being chased by warriors with spears, for a 4 year old that was kinda scary and exciting!

Any questions about sewing I am happy to try to answer.
    I must move, I had a late night and a long lie in this morning and BF brought me up a cup of tea ages ago, saying don't rush, but I really have got to surface now!!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Mooloo :) It will take me a day or two to work out how to word it!
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I have had a private message, - about my claiming benefits and how I spend my money.
    I presume that is the missing link.
    As a new poster, I am giving the benefit of the doubt that it was meant to be malicious etc.
    Not many people have followed me for the 10 years of my story, and how I save, spend and also how I juggle, those regularly reading will know how I apply the MSE money philosophy, getting the best deals, saving my 10% before I spend a penny. Card tarting, compare the marketing, etc
    I have low bills, a BF that pays for holidays, and a mother who pays for one so she doesn't have to go alone.
    I only claim what I am legally entitled to and the day that I no longer am qualified to claim anything then I will be celebrating and happy to have worked my way from nothing to something.
    And oh that is my intention!

What is it about people that turns them into monsters whenever the word "benefits" is mentioned?

Millions of us receive benefits at some point in our lives. Stop guilt tripping yourself about claiming them. One of the aims of life may well be to work, but that doesn't mean we should work ourselves into the ground to get off benefits. If the government in the wisdom choose to subsidise the life you have chosen (and millions of others besides you), be it self employed or otherwise, then that's a good thing.

I've spent a lot of my working career martyring myself to the Holy Pound, - I was burnt out by 45. It's not something good to aim for. I'm glad of our business everyday. I couldn't care less if all I earned was the FT NMW for the rest of my life. At least I have some life left in me outside work.

How many businesses do you think employ people? Very few, according to the ONS. How many people have main responsibility for a primary aged schoolchild when in their 50s? And are a carer to their Mum? You can't push the rhythm of your life. You'll just end up depressed and exhausted.

I know you are great at looking after other people, but when it comes to looking after yourself and giving yourself the "me" time you need to rest and recuperate, I'm sorry but I think you need to show a bit more common sense and invest in yourself a lot more than you do. You seem to invest in everyone else in your life, your adult children, your DGD, time spent caring for your Mum and probably countless others we don't hear about.

My cousin swears by this place and goes at least once a fortnight, on her days off, sometimes with friends, mostly alone.
    http://www.whittleburyhall.co.uk/
    I thought their Sunday Sunset Spa for Two at £79 for the two sounded like a bargain :)
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People need to remember two things

You never know all of people's circumstances so don't judge
    And one day that maybe you, people are less than 3 months savings from the gutter.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    mellymoo74 wrote: »
    People need to remember two things

You never know all of people's circumstances so don't judge
    And one day that maybe you, people are less than 3 months savings from the gutter.

Three month's savings? Many people are one pay packet from disaster. With only debt, and no savings at all.

Just imho, but anyone who employs someone to work in this day and age is definitely on the side of the angels. That's you mooloo, and no amount of benefits is going to change that.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    My daughter is having her Wedding at Whitlebury.
    I used to take time to have my hair done and have a massage but I got busy and I stopped. I need to block time into my agenda to go again.

I have spent the day on the sofa with iPhone and laptop and have created a instagram and a new Pinterest board.
    I have also researched the schools and names of heads and have written to the 13 of them to see if we can work together to provide the textiles etc for school children's projects.
    I also started wording a flyer for putting through the doors of the new housing going up around the town.
    I think I want to speak to the estate agents too.
    I will start with the new one next door and the other few in walking distance of my shop.
    Dgd baked cakes with BF today and we all sat counting the money in his piggy bank. Now I have the task of getting it changed up, which is not easy these Days. A little each banking day perhaps.
    I am stopping here for tonight and going back to work in the morning.
    I think I can relax now for a little while.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Watched Call the Midwife and wrote notes in my business journal for the things I am aiming to do this week. I will just keep referring back to it to keep me on track. Well that is the aim.
    BF has gone to work and before he went he made me a cup of tea so I still got my first cup of tea in bed. Bonus. I am just finishing it before I wake dgd up. She has holiday club today, sobwe need to nip home to make packed lunches for the pair of us, but we have plenty of time, even though we have the 25 miles commute to do as we are more flexible with time then on a school morning. My son has work this morning but I don't know how he was getting there as I warned him that I would not be back intime.
    I thought that was a step too far. I suppose that I probably could have got him there if I had got up at 5.30-5.45 time!
    Biggest is unwell and her BF is away on business so she has all three children too. She has a kidney problem and is waiting for test results to come back. Meanwhile she is struggling a bit so I did tell DS that she can't help him today. Let's hope he didn't pester her or I would feel awful.
    staff is 70 today and is having the day off, luckily my Saturday girl is on half term so I have her coming in for a few hours, all but one of the zips arrived so I have quite a few coats to repair today and 6 Cushion covers to finish.
    I am going to do a bottom of the fridge meal tonight.
    Tomorrow I am possibly coming back here with a meal deal as it's Valentines and as BF car shares etc and I have Wednesday off I thought it would be easier. I mentioned it on Friday and just mentioned it again this morning. First he said that was fine, then he said or he could come to us and not come on Wednesday, think about it. So I am thinking about it.
    It is my payday from my self and for child benefit and guardian money, so I have started to rebuild the savings pots, and put £50 into the holiday fund and the odd £11.81 into the emergency funds, and paid £70 to the childcare facility. Today the first monthly direct payment went out of the main account to the credit card (0%] one. £200 off of the debt.
    Mind you that means I am back to where I started yesterday, and some but I have nothing else pending until Wednesday. Then my tax credits will arrive in time for the rent, rates, water DDs to get paid.
    I am aiming to keep £300 across the various current accounts and move all the rest into the emergency funds, holiday fund and rebuild the car maintenance funds up again.
    The clothes fund has £86 in it, so on Wednesday when I take Mum shopping I will be able to get DGDs school shoes, and new trainers if I use a discount shoe shop. I also need to get her more pevkit if I can find it.
    I don't need anything for me, and if I did mostly I can make it, or adapt it.
    I saw a tutorial on line to make bras, and think that at some stage I would like to try to do that. I already make knickers. Actually I could probably make dgd some shorts if I have the fabric. I will have a look at work this morning.
    I guess I had better get up now, so I don't get too stuck in traffic going home. Luckily the heavy traffic is going into Oxford now not out of it.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    We have had a good day today. Even though I had to sew zips in several coats. I finished the Cushion covers too. So £169 worth of sewing done today.
    I am just about to have dinner and then we need to pop out to get DS and take him home.
    I brought home a piece of fabric from the shop today as I just wanted to make something with it, but I don't quite know what yet.
    I am thinking of a children's pinafore dress possibly.
    I feel like making something anyway.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I didn't do anything after getting DS. He was late and we sat for 45 minutes in the car in the middle of nowhere until he arrived. By the time we got home it was nearly 9pm.
    So I watched some recorded tv.
    I am off to bed now.
    I still didn't do half of the things I wanted to do this evening.
    I am struggling with joint pains and they are getting worse. I think I need to book that massage!
    Night
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Well I don't know where the time went the last 24 hours.
    I made my Notice Board for fun, did all the alterations that were left, I have one dress gem to finish. That's it!
    I have never been so low on work. On the bonus side it means that tomorrow I will be able to implement some changes in the shop, on the negative side I have no work in means no income.
    I cut out 6 place mats and coasters ready to sew tomorrow too.
    After work I went to bf's for the evening. So I had a meal I bought on the way, and we shared a bottle of sparkling wine. We exchanged presents too. Chocolate and plants all round then.
    I have today off and dgd and I are off to take my Mum shopping in MK.
    Just got to put my flowers in water now I am home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure