Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Ok . I have a potential p I t a situation , regarding electrics.
    I have seen the report from the sellers electrician .
    Cause for alarm : wires are red and black . That =old wiring !
    No earth ?
    I'm due to see estate agent tomorrow and visit the property again.

However, I will phone the nearest reputable electrician , get him to come with me to the property and assess the situation, and see if the place needs re wiring .
    Of course , re wiring is one part of the job .
    Then , I'd have to get a plasterer to tidy up the mess afterwards.

Now I know why the estate agent kept mentioning the electrics being done on many occasions .
    Having said that : i actually do believe the brief hand written piece of paper from the sellers solicitor , advising that the reason the property was reduced from an asking price of £190k to £170 k was because of the electrical,issues .
    The estate agent thinks she may pull the wool over my eyes by glossing over it .
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    What bothered me was the figure of £3000. Way too much for a bodge; about right for a re-wire without making good.

PITA sums up a lot of moving house, but well done for not being persuaded to rush and cut corners. Worth asking your surveyor whether he checked?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    After a horrendous night of little /no sleep, my mobie( which is being
    charged at the other side of the room rings.
    It was an electrician I left an email with. Nice bloke.
    He says as the wiring is covered in pvc. The flat does not need re wiring

Phew
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    that's something - so what done for £3k?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I'll let you know when I see it later:)
    Getting out of bed the wrong side is no fun
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am sooooooo confused.

What does "covered in PVC" mean. Surface trunking......?? Nasty lazy cheap fix that looks ugly. What was that £3k for.

A surveyor does not check electrics.

I'm am just about to start painting door frames today. Have booked three property viewings for next week.

They are like buses.....nothing for ages and then three all at once. :rotfl:
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I am sooooooo confused.

What does "covered in PVC" mean. Surface trunking......?? Nasty lazy cheap fix that looks ugly. What was that £3k for.

A surveyor does not check electrics.

I'm am just about to start painting door frames today. Have booked three property viewings for next week.

They are like buses.....nothing for ages and then three all at once. :rotfl:

Hi LL:)
    I've confused everyone :)
    Anyway, I think the £3000, was the estate agent over egging things somewhat. The p v c is protecting the wires ,and not potentially a fire risk as it would be without it. There were faults that have now been rectified . I have seen the certificate by the electrician .
    The electrician used is bona fide . I googled .
    I have a list of repairs done, but cannot remember at this time.
    I will be seeing estate agent later on this afternoon .

Just viewed the flat in penn hill , including cat .
    Estate agent was professional and lovely . We chatted for ages .
    I like the flat . If I saw it first, I probably would've been getting that.
    I did say to her , that if I made a bid it would be for £187k oneoffer only . However, it looks like I will go,for the flat I've been pursuing over the last couple of weeks .
    My final answer should be this afternoon ..

Good luck,in your search also :)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Minor domestic electrical installation works certificate :
    Rectified fault on lighting circuit ( bathroom ,hall, bedrooms) replaced downlights for LED fire rated fittings and transferred to RCD protected side of consumer unit .
    Various other things ticked etc .
    So there you have it .
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    You have definitely confused me AC! You seem to be unsure of a lot of things regarding this flat. As I have said to my kids on many occasions - "too much thinking and not enough knowing". In other words it seems you "think" things have been done, or something was said, but you don't "know" for sure. That is why I suggested (along with many others) that you get a written list of scheduled electrical works to be done so you can see exactly what should have been done and check against the schedule. Although in property buying you pay a lot of money to various professionals, in my experience there is nothing like being extremely pro-active (hate that term but it fits) yourself. Don't hink you don't know enough - if I can learn then so can you. That is the gist of all of the advice and suggestions we have been giving you. None of us want you to be in the position in a few months time where you are having to deplete your capital in order to pay for things you "thought" were okay just because you have already paid fees, or you don't want to upset vendor, or estate agent. It's one thing if you choose to spend cash on updating bathroom/kitchen/knocking down walls as that is personal choice. But when it comes to utilities you have to make sure you are entirely satisfied. It really is a case of buyer beware, so you owe it to yourself to be as certain as you can be that you know what's going on. There is never a one hundred per cent guarantee that there won't be an unforeseen problem somewhere down the line, but please don't get caught out by things that could, and should, have been checked out more thoroughly before purchase.
    Having said all that, I really hope it all works out. Having followed you pretty much from the beginning I'm not sure how much more excitement/stress I can take (hee-hee).

Cross-posted with your last post. Still seems a little vague but if you are happy with that then that's good.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks dreaming .:)
    Basically , the faults have been rectified . I've got certificates for just about everything now tbh . The flat is worth what I'm paying for it . I've obviously been overthinking about the pitfalls and the potentials .
    Initially , I will just paint the whole flat while leaving my stuff in storage . I will then buy dehumidifier , some essential furniture and move in .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure