Real-life MMD: I've won a £100 vch - must I pay for my friends?

Options

Comments

• joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No, you should use voucher and split bill after. It's good to do nice gestures for friends sometimes!

I get discount using a Taste card at many places, but of course but everyone benefits that I invite out even though I pay the annual fee. That's what friends are for.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use the voucher and if the bill comes to over £100 split the difference. I don't think I'd like it if a friend invited me out for dinner and brandished a £100 voucher for his food and drink only. It's nice to treat friends sometimes, and this isn't really costing you anything. What goes around comes around and all that.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    1. Sell the voucher for what you can get to help your cashflow.
    or
    2. Tell your friends that the outing has to stay within the £100 limit.
    or
    3. Agree to split the overpay between the three of you.

Simples.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Think of it like this - If each of your meals came to £33 and you asked them to pay the money to you , you end up with £66 cash in your pocket , which you have gained because you invited them out for a meal. This cannot be morally correct.

As others have said - either sell the voucher on ebay or pay for the first £100 yourself and if it is over £100 split the remainder between you
  • trinity_enigma
    Options
    No where does it say the op has told anyone they were getting a free meal. Obviously if it is the case then he should stand by the offer.

If your friends are expecting to pay for themselves then I see no problem in them giving you their share of the meal and you paying in vouchers. It would be no different to you only paying for yourself on 3 separate occasions with vouchers while they pay cash.

Some posters are saying you're a bad friend for being mean. I feel sorry for the friends of those posters who apparently only chose their friends for the cash benefits. If the op had won £100 in cash and decided to go for a meal would he have to pay for all of his friends?
  • colsaldo
    colsaldo Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Would you be able to spend the voucher without the help of your friends? Not many people enjoy dining alone, so they're helping you out a bit.

Our friends generally help us out at times, so especially if you're hard up, this is an excellent opportunity for you to treat them.

The nice feeling of doing so will be well worth the £66 you might otherwise come home with, alternatively that £66 will be scarce compensation for the possibility that they might find your suggestion cheeky and the evening ends on a sour note or worse!
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    As with almost all of these "dilemmas" they are quickly and easily solved if you talk to your friends/family/neighbours, or whoever you're having the dilemma with.

They're friends....so talk to them. If they're real friends they'll understand.

Personally, I'd tell them the first £100 is on you, and any more is to be split between each of them. That way, you get to go to dinner, you can be generous to your friends at a time you've not got the opportunity to splash the cash, and you have a night out. Enjoy.
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The key here is the word "friends". After that it's really easy and has already been mentioned several times.

Pay the first £100 with your voucher, split the rest between you all. That's what friends do.
  • IainHL
    IainHL Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meal Out;
    Three People;
    Over £100?
    :eek:
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Just think about the choices you have. You could sell the voucher on ebay, or you could go out on your own and spend the £100 on a meal for yourself, not impossible if you choose a really expensive restaurant plus equally expensive wine but would you really enjoy that? Apart from being the worst example of bad manners, inviting your friends to have dinner with you and then expecting them to pay for themselves, how will it look when they see you pocketing their cash - and you could be in trouble if anyone decides to use their credit card!
    You may be short of cash, but surely not so desperate that you have to be so mean in not sharing your good fortune with your friends. Honesty is the best policy as always and they might even offer to buy the drinks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure