The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    In regards to the 4 pack Wispa, Snickers, Mars, etc etc for a quid... every shop I go in to now are only selling them in 3 packs and although I haven't checked the individual weight of each bar in the pack, I'm pretty sure they've also shrunk in size too. The individual bars in the now 'new' 3 packs feels so much more smaller when examining them in the shop, perhaps someone has an old and new pack they can compare?

It would be pretty low for them to remove a whole bar from the pack AND reduce the size of the remaining bars. If that's the case then I'll make a vow before a court to never purchase another pack in my life!!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Repairman77
    Repairman77 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Not long ago Co-op standard pack of bacon was £1.50 (half price quoted) Went up to £1.75 (half price quoted). Now it's £1.99 (One third off). All within less than a year.

I'd be amazed if anyone really paid £3.00 for a pack of bacon!

Why all the half price and 3rd off labels, they've never charged that, nobody would buy it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    It would be pretty low for them to remove a whole bar from the pack AND reduce the size of the remaining bars. If that's the case then I'll make a vow before a court to never purchase another pack in my life!!
    Perhaps they have the nation's waistline in mind? ;)

Seriously, the only thing that puts me off sugary sweets is the price. When I find a bargain I buy in bulk - strangely I don't seem to mind compromising my health if I think its a cost-effective purchase. I am the first to admit the mentality is stoopid.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I know people that eat two smaller things now - biscuits etc instead of one years ago. The combined weight of two smaller biscuits is more than the old sized biscuit.

So product shrinkage has increased waistlines
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Seriously, the only thing that puts me off sugary sweets is the price. When I find a bargain I buy in bulk - strangely I don't seem to mind compromising my health if I think its a cost-effective purchase. I am the first to admit the mentality is stoopid.

I actually don't mind too much when they shrink stuff like sweets. It seems to be a fact of life now, and as a business owner myself.. I can kinda see where the manufacturers are coming from - they are in the business to make money and if doing this makes their profits rise then it's going to continue happening regardless of how loud we shout.

It does however severely p*** me off when they do it to essential items (whatever you or I define as essential). A multipack of Mars bar certainly isn't essential imo, so we can easily make a stand and stop buying. I thought the 4 packs were good value considering just 1 Mars bar costs somewhere in the region of 70p but I won't be buying them again because I can simply live without.

Most breads are 800g but I've started seeing a few that are 750g now. I'd put money on the rest of the breads following suit soon. I consider bread essential so when there are no 800g around, I'll be annoyed.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    According to MySupermarket.com OCADO is selling "Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola Raisin & Almond (1Kg)" for £2.99. On visiting the OCADO.com the bag is only 850g for £2.99 (though it is on buy one get one half price).
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noticed a 7pack of bacon in tesco the other day.
    It always use to be 8 in a pack! :mad:

and 7 packs are just annoying as it is a prime number so difficult to split with a group meal!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    and 7 packs are just annoying as it is a prime number so difficult to split with a group meal!

There are somethings which are more suited to price rises than product shrinkage. The example with the bacon is a bad one as most packets will be consumed in one go. Things like multipacks of crisps are not eaten at the same time.

You need 2 rashers of bacon to make a bacon butty!
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    supermum4 wrote: »
    mc'coys multi bags of crisps now only have 5 not 6 in :(
    That's nothing. With some brands you're lucky to get five or six crisps to a bag!
  • supermum4
    supermum4 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    That's nothing. With some brands you're lucky to get five or six crisps to a bag!
    yeah true bags are mostly full of air, I don't often buy crisps and I didn't notice the reduced quantity and as there is 6 of us it meant I didn't get a bag it helped my waitline anyway :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback