PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :j Wa-hey, a brand new thread. Lovely to see everyone again.

I hit the wall about 8 pm and went offline and to bed and look what happened. Was absolutely shattered and have only just resurfaced. Online in her jammies, the shameless hussy!

Feeling a bit peculiar as rain in biblical quantities seems to be falling on most of the UK and I'm in the dry bit. Sure it can't last for 2 days on the trot, we have blue sky with building clouds. Must get off my aspidistra and run to the lottie to pick some strawbs and drag some more carp (think I'm running a fish farm) out of the lottie shed and take it to the tip.

Laters, everyone. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The way the rain is going here I'd never make it to the airport, let alone to your ark Mardatha, so I'm not joining in the bidding. Though if the ark is built by your RV in the manner of the chicken coop I'd fear for head room ;) It's been the wettest season here in a long one and it just doesn't stop.

Does longlife milk count towards food poker GQ? I bought 17 cartons today, all they had on the shelf. They're at it again, discounting and discontinuing the lowest price own brand, leaving their next up option which in this case is 45c (30p) a carton dearer. I also have rather a large supply now of Weetabix and arborio rice (which I'll be using as a sub for sushi rice, rather than for risotto). But only 1 lonely tin of toms, since there's only hubby can eat them.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe I spoke too soon, black clouds have moved in and we are looking like heavy rain. Not sure what to do as bought my dad tickets to see an outdoor free running exhibition, I bought one adult and one child ticket and planned he would take DS14 with him. However as its so wet I am not sure I like the idea of them sat out in this weather especially as DS has been off school ill all week on the other hand its £30 of tickets that will be wasted if they cant go.

Have woken feeling like I have been run over by a steam roller and am so lethargic just cant seem to get any energy together at all.

Am so glad I got my little greenhouse built last week my little plants all seem to be thriving instead of drowning - although the potato plants are huge and its like a jungle in that bit.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Pink :T Great title PAH - its like when you were a kid, starting a new school book !

OH and DS have gone off on a secret mission ??? If they come back with a puppy they can take it right back :rotfl: Right off to mop the floor before DGS lands for the night. Hugs to all
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2012 at 10:59AM
    Options
    thank you fuddle for letting me know about gailey. Hi to our new thread :) Have been catching up on a lot of reading:) Such a great thread and what nice people toox
    Have been anxiously watching the vegs we are trying to grow, and have for the first time grown strawberries. There are some big ones red and soft and lots which are small but are growing anyway. We have potatoes planted in a patio bag and basil in a container and tomatoes and a blueberry bush, some carrots and onions and spring onions too. Fingers crossed they do well:) Saving as much money as we can.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I remember the glee of starting a brand new school book :rotfl:

I would so love a greenhouse but the little plastic ones would be all I could do. We live atop a hill and it gets so windy so I doubt it would last two minutes. :(

I also wanted chickens in there but I don't think they would get 2 minutes peace with a beagle/collie in the vicinity :rotfl:

I'm getting the flags out as MIL is having the girls stay over tonight :D a night of peace and get this... a lie in tomorrow! :j If DH wins some money at fishing today we're going to go get a pub meal tonight, if . It's our wedding anniversary in 2 weeks so be good to get out to celebrate that. Fingers crossed.

The can't be arrissed feeling has gone and very nearly on top of the house work. I'm wanting to sit at the sewing machine to make a rice bag to keep me warm while sitting in the winter. I just hope they're safe. I don't really get a good feeling about putting dry rice in the microwave. :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FUDDLE - if you can't have a greenhouse have you ever considered a couple of 'Cold Frames'? they are much less likely to get damaged and you can get them with a plastic top instead of glass, safer for littlies and pets, and because you dont fix them down you could take them with you if you ever moved on Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all and happy new thread!! :j

It feels very autumnal and back-to-schooly here today so a new thread seems very apt. Rain has been falling overnight in biblical proportions (and has been like that for a few days), but seems to have eased off a little now. Hopefully it will stop soon - the sky seems a little brighter - and I would like to get out into the garden to inspect the damage! No doubt the slugs and snails will have been enjoying a huge banquet at my expense...:mad:

Thank you for the link to the dotcomgiftshop sale - there are some bargains on there which will do nicely for Christmas presents this year :T And I've just bought two pretty brollies for the DDs at £1.29 each down from £12.99 - I think they might be needing them before Christmas however! There are some lovely tins as well which I thought might do well as gifts if filled with HM fudge or cookies.

Have good days all

Evie xx
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Fuddle this doesn't suggest there's any problem with them in the microwave:
    http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

If I could sew I'd make them myself.
    fuddle wrote: »
    I remember the glee of starting a brand new school book :rotfl:

I would so love a greenhouse but the little plastic ones would be all I could do. We live atop a hill and it gets so windy so I doubt it would last two minutes. :(

I also wanted chickens in there but I don't think they would get 2 minutes peace with a beagle/collie in the vicinity :rotfl:

I'm getting the flags out as MIL is having the girls stay over tonight :D a night of peace and get this... a lie in tomorrow! :j If DH wins some money at fishing today we're going to go get a pub meal tonight, if . It's our wedding anniversary in 2 weeks so be good to get out to celebrate that. Fingers crossed.

The can't be arrissed feeling has gone and very nearly on top of the house work. I'm wanting to sit at the sewing machine to make a rice bag to keep me warm while sitting in the winter. I just hope they're safe. I don't really get a good feeling about putting dry rice in the microwave. :cool:
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    On the Make do & mend theme, I've darned 10 pairs of hubby's socks, shortened a skirt I was given last week that was 6 inches too long & also made another skirt that fits me, from one that was a size 22 & also 6inches too long, can you tell I'm a shorta***!
    I can't compete in the food poker, the best I can do is always buying another of evreything as soon as one is opened, just as my grandma did.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure