IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Hire company paid private PCN against their own terms and conditions (ARVAL again!)

Options

Comments

• DJBenson
    Options
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked that not only have they failed to acknowledge that they were "at fault" here, but that their response on the matter is full of the factual inaccuracies upon which my whole case was based! Just goes to show the rot runs right through the company.

I'll take time to reflect on the response and come up with my counter response because as you kind of mention above, this isn't just about not paying THIS PCN, it's about not paying ANY PCN's.

I'm not sure about their admin fee, whether they can charge that for passing on my details and then perhaps refund it on successful appeal - they make no mention of winning an appeal (indeed they seem to be of the opinion that if you get issued a PCN then you must have been in the wrong).
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,038 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DJBenson wrote: »
    Well ARVAL have backed down in so much as they've agreed to settle their invoice 'as a gesture of good will' but they have failed to acknowledge any of the points I put to them and the letter still seems to imply that their terms and conditions overrule legislation.

ARVAL_Response_1.jpg

ARVAL_Response_2.jpg

They actually still don't get any of it do they?
    Why on earth would they need to pass on your contract details to a third party?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the guy keeps going on about "issuing AUTHORITY"

def , don,t get if does he
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • DJBenson
    Options
    Anyone got a feel for a percentage of disputed invoices to successful outcome? A finger-in-the-air from your experience on the forum is good enough seeing as ARVAL have made a sweeping generalisation by saying 'in the overwhelming majority of cases, drivers have no valid grounds to appeal the charge' - I put this down to either lack of awareness or apathy.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it's more from the naive POV where people try to use mitigating circumstances & have no leg to stand on. Reasons like "There were no other spaces" or "I was only 10 minutes late" aren't valid reasons. Most people don't know to appeal on the legal aspects re contracts, signage and POFA compliance.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got a feel for a percentage of disputed invoices to successful outcome?.
    Based on the 2014/15 Annual report for POPLA, 44.32% of appeals against CEL are won by the motorist, (see page 38):-
    https://popla.co.uk/docs/default-source/default-document-library/popla_annualreport_2015.pdf?sfvrsn=2
  • DJBenson
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    Based on the 2014/15 Annual report for POPLA, 44.32% of appeals against CEL are won by the motorist, (see page 38):-
    https://popla.co.uk/docs/default-source/default-document-library/popla_annualreport_2015.pdf?sfvrsn=2

You legend :beer:
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    Options
    RE complaint in relation to parking charge notice.
    I note the details in your letter, however you have either been seriously mislead, or the letter in itself is misleading.
    You stated that
    A:" in the overwhelming majority of cases, Drivers have no valid grounds to appeal the charge and Arvals actions bring welcome closure"

and B: In order for Arval to pass on the responsibility of fines and penalties in incurred to the driver ( where allowed by the issuing authority"

First of All, As you should be aware the private parking industry is completely Un-regulated Parking companies can request data from the DVLA on the condition that they belong to a recognised Accredited Trade Association, these trade Associations being the British Parking Association limited who run/control the POPLA appeals service, which in itself is far from indepentdant, and the International Parking Community (IPC) who run, and control the so called Independent appeals service, which shares directors with the IPC,and the Solicitors company Gladstones, namely a Mr Will Hurley and Mike Davies ( i suggest you google their names for more information )

As the Private parking industry is un regulated, news of bad practice is extremely common, including but not limited to adjusting photographs in order to falsely create a parking charge notice where nothing happened, un ambiguous and questionable sign age, badly laid out car parks, in accurate and fault ridden ANPR systems that are biased against the motorist ( google Double dip parking charge) and so on ( the list is potentially endless)

And in the case of B, private parking companies can no issue fines or penalties

For your information this case is being discussed on the money saving expert site at http://!!!!!!!.com/hhrkd3a from which it appears that your own Managing Director Benoit Dilly, is also a member of the Committee of the management of the BVLRA who's own advice and guidelines you appear to be disregarding.

As a result of your incompetence in dealing with this you have caused me a great deal of stress, as well as a large amount of time lost as a result, however as a gesture of goodwill i will be prepared to let this matter come to a close on the condition that you will be putting measures in place to rectify your shortcomings, and to fully re-fund all your other customers to who you have wrongfully charged for a private parking charge notice or similar.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    You legend :beer:
    Thanks, the strange thing is back in the 2013/14 year the motorist won 70.75% against CEL.
    https://popla.co.uk/docs/default-source/default-document-library/popla_annualreport_2014.pdf?sfvrsn=2
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2016 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Anyone got a feel for a percentage of disputed invoices to successful outcome? A finger-in-the-air from your experience on the forum is good enough seeing as ARVAL have made a sweeping generalisation by saying 'in the overwhelming majority of cases, drivers have no valid grounds to appeal the charge' - I put this down to either lack of awareness or apathy.

I put this down to total ignorance.

In the case of hire vehicles, ARVAL should appreciate that it should be the hirer (not the driver) appealing the charge. The hirer nearly always* has a cast-iron valid ground to appeal i.e. the PPC failing to deliver a non-compliant Notice to Hirer.

In our experience, 100% of properly-formulated disputes against a Notice to Hirer have a successful outcome.

* Other than Athena ANPR Ltd, no other PPC bothers to send copies of hire documents with their Notices to Hirer. No documents = POFA fail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure