PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much does a new roof cost?

Options

Comments

• nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jowo wrote: »
    I got 3 quotes for a 3 bed house in London to have a roof renewal and the cheapest quote came back at 6k and that's only if the invoice is settled within a week as this offers a discount of about 1k.

So to be honest, I'd rip someone's arm off who could offer to charge me 3k for a new roof.

thanks, from what i've read that cheap for London! so yeah it seems to be the usual dribble! cheers
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    nettttie wrote: »
    *bump* any builders about today please?
    Best to
    • Start your own thread for a new problem unless the resolution of the original problem is very closely related to your problem
    • Take this to the DIY part of the site where you have much more relevant expertise to hand.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DannyJones
    Options
    nettttie wrote: »
    *bump* any builders about today please?
    That sounds about right allways depends on the type of tiles used....
  • nhouse
    nhouse Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good roofer in Central or East London or Essex area? Looking for a new roof asap, fair price, high standard any suggestions welcome.
  • botchjob
    botchjob Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    We got our London/Butterfly roof done by these people, http://www.taylorandkenyonroofing.co.uk/ who came recommended from a work colleague. They originally thought they could replace the (leaking) central valley without having to do a complete re-roof. This worked for a bit but it started leaking a few months later. To their credit they returned and did a whole re-roof without charging for the 2nd lot of scaffolding. And to be fair it was our decision to try doing half the job initially, rather than bite the bullet and get the whole job done. A lesson learned. Anyway, worth getting them to quote. They were the cheapest of 3 quotes we had.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a good idea to stick to a company that belongs to a professional body such as the National Federation of Roofing Contractors?
  • oweapoundortwo
    Options
    Does anyone know of a reputable roofer in Torbay Devon. Had one quote of 7,500 k for complete replacement of 3 bed semi. Not including wood. Is that fair?
  • Mr_Thrifty
    Options
    Forget the advice about "getting 3 quotes".

In my experience, you need to get about 20 quotes.

Yes, 20. I kid you not.

The roofing industry is notorious for being FULL of scammers, cowboys, rip-off merchants and outright thieves. Many have criminal backgrounds or just haven't been caught yet. I say this only half-jokingly.

DO NOT do "cash in hand". Usually these merchants are more expensive than the legit ones anyway.

DO ensure that they are a member of a professional body. This alone is not a guarantee of quality however.

DO ensure that you take up references. Don't just take their word for it - get a reference or two! Go and see their previous works.

DO ensure that you get a quotation letter from them that covers all eventualities. DO NOT accept any terms such as "make good" or the like as these are usually subjective. DO ensure that everything is crystal clear.

DO ensure that you are aware of where they might try and rip you off. For instance, by taking all your tiles off and then telling you that you need new rafters which will be another £20K. Yes, these thieves do often try stunts like that.

From experience, DO NOT employ a roofer from London. 90% of them are crooks.

Good luck!
  • QS_the_best
    Options
    Mr Thrify, you have not the faintest clue about construction, I would like to know what you are employed as, it is poeple like you who cost the industry a furtune, who do you think pays for these 20 estimates, how can you cover every eventuallity? The cowboys are created by the likes of you, you only have yourself to blame.
  • mackemdave
    Options
    I had a big old mid-terrace, L shaped. I was given a rough estimate in 2006 that it would cost £5,000 using slate tiles.

The roof had a height of 7' at the Apex.

Wow!!! that does seem high for 5 yrs ago....had a 4 quotes recently for similar property,slate tiles....ranged £3500 to £4000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure