"CITYMAIN ADMINISTR" bank account charge

Options

Comments

• Nattylou
    Options
    To be honest, it was so clear on the phone that the girl I spoke to does nothing but cancel these things, you would probably be OK to leave it for now. I refused it on the phone too, I always refuse extra insurance and go with a manufacturer warranty instead.

That said, I wouldn't think the policy is worth the paper it's written on so, in your position, I'd just cancel it and double check there are no new direct debits on your bank account, both now and when the payment would be due.
  • Ron_Dobson
    Options
    Yes, I have been caught also. I apparently took out mobile 'phone insurance in Jan 2004 - I have only just discovered who I have been paying £4.50 to all these years! I now have to try and explain to my wife how it is that I can pay out all this money without knowing who I am paying. The really annoying thing is that I am usually very savvy about these things - this one just seems to have slipped through the net. I am going to try and get a refund, though.
  • Nattylou
    Options
    Frustrating isn't it? Some years ago, Zurich failed to cancel my policy when I called them and when I wrote to them and, when I realised (5 years later) that they hadn't, I called them to ask why - they had taken a significant sum every month for the duration - they said they never received my letter and, although I proved I had other insurance for the whole duration and they had a record of me calling to say I wanted to cancel, they refused to return any of the money to me and I never got it back. I am still pretty bitter about it, as you can imagine, it amounted to about £2,000 as I recall.

If I could, I'd get it back but no idea how.

On a more positive note, we have not had a payment taken from the above this month since we cancelled last and neither have we had a letter saying the direct debit failed (I deleted it when we cancelled) so I think they do at least cancel when you tell them to.
  • Ernisius
    Ernisius Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    According to the terms,
    " you have the right to cancel the your Direct Debit at any time"
    "If your direct debit is cancelled or the collection unsuccessful, your cover will expire immediately".
  • Nattylou
    Options
    Do you think that means they won't charge you for a failed direct debit and will cancel your cover automatically, or that they will not cover you if you don't pay and it is there to cover themselves in the event that someone that did want the policy failed to pay one month then tried to make a claim?

Not that I am a sceptic or anything, honest - I just think it's ambiguous!
    :rotfl:
  • Gisred101
    Options
    I think I have been paying this forever!

Did you get anywhere trying to get the money back?
  • Nattylou
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't bother with the £5.99 one because it wasn't worth my time but I had no success with the other at all, they just told me it was my fault and if I couldn't prove I sent the letter, which I can't because it didn't go recorded delivery, it was tough.

Nice company, Zurich.
  • purpleaki
    Options
    I feel slightly (only slightly) better that i am not the only one been stung by this.

I have noticed it now and again taking out £5.99 and i always planned to investigate it but it always slipped my mind. Just noticed it on my online account before and cancelled it without knowing what it was i was cancelling. Decided to google it after and found this.

Must have been with Buymobilephones.net, i have been with them for 2 years so they must have bumped me for at least £120. I have had great service from them to be fair and i have got nothing against that company. I must have just forgotten about the "free" insurance elapsing. Glad its no longer niggling me

Having had mobile phones since 1998 and never losing or damaging one i am a bit annoyed that Insurance "stings" have cost me about £500 in total. Got done by Carphone Warehouse in an absolute scandal, but thats another story.
  • scrutchl
    scrutchl Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 November 2010 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Just checked saynoto0870 & the number is now 01983 618300 ... just called it & canceled with no problems :-)

It was from buymobiles but tbh I knew fully about it & it was explained at the time of buying my mobile ..... Trouble is you tend to forget about it when they give you the free months ... I guess that's why they do it ... what's 3 free months money when you forget to cancel & pay them for ever anyway .... I don't know anyone who has needed to use the service !

Cancel the DD straight away then it done !
  • Ron_Weasley
    Ron_Weasley Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2010 at 3:02PM
    Options
    OH MY GOD!!!

I have just looked at my statement and thought "what is that Citymain Administr" thing again? I thought it was something to do with my Citybank card.

I find I have been paying it SINCE June 2001 !!?!??! :mad::mad::mad:

You'd have to question whether this borders on "obtaining monies by deception". I am fuming mad about it. I know I have been stupid not checking my statements more carefully, but *&"!ing hell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure