Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!!

Options

Comments

• janla
    Options
    Although I'm registered with Mailing Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association and Royal Mail (no anonymous deliveries), I received an unsolicited bunch of cards and order form from this lot today.
    I am annoyed, because the preference guidelines are there largely to avoid bombardment of vulnerable people with junk mail asking for money.
    I regard this kind of thing as a form of dedicationship as defined by the late author Stephen Potter and I shall not respond.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Although I'm registered with Mailing Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association and Royal Mail
    So how does being registered with these prevent someone from writing your address on an envelope and posting that envelope?

As useless as TPS.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Calling TPS useless is unfair. It does not stop them but does significantly reduce the volumes of calls and junk mail. Legitimate and conscientious organisations will consult the registers before calling / mailing. Any that do not are not to be considered trustworthy.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Legitimate and conscientious organisations will consult the registers before calling / mailing

But we are not talking about Legitimate and conscientious organisations are we?
  • Buick wrote: »
    I just googled mouth and foot painters and this thread came up!

I was going to write to the MFPA (mouth and foot painting artists) and ask for some cards but having read this I'm not so sure. Shame, because I had thought of it as a good organisation and I've always admired the artwork of the artists.

I rang them today to make enquiries about the cards on their website but no-one answered. Hopefully they're not going to start calling my home number now :eek:

Note to self: ALWAYS withhold your phone number unless it's friends/family!!

I know this thread is very old, but please don't form your opinion of the Mouth and Foot Painting Artists based on this one thread. I am an artist with the organization. They are a great organization. It is not a scam. They are not a charity nor do they pose as one. "The MFPA is an international, for-profit association wholly owned and run by disabled artists to help them meet their financial needs.". They are very clear on this. If you admire the artwork & enjoy the cards please continue to purchase them. I cannot post links, but Google MFPA Canada or MFPA USA… Etc. depending where you live to find their website.

You Do not need to worry about telemarketing phone calls from them either.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any unsolicited mail I get goes straight in the bin, regardless of their cause. Such a shame they dont ask first as it would seem a waste of effort in them posting any to me. :D
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MouthPaintingArtist: this is a UK website, I'm not sure why we'd be interested to Google North American equivalents.
  • Janet_Wilson
    Options
    I am posting to this forum because I have just received some Christmas cards and a calendar from Mouth and Foot painters, with an invitation to pay for them. For the past few years I have been paying them the amount demanded. However, I never liked this aggressive marketing method, and the amount requested goes up each year. With a little niggle at the back of my brain, I decided to have a look on the Internet and found this forum.

I, too, had assumed that Mouth and Foot Painting Artists was a charity. Thanks to this forum, I discovered that it was a commercial company, and I decided to look further. This is what I found:

1. All pages of the organisation's UK website at refer to "The Mouth and Foot Painting Artists" and only on the Terms and Conditions page does it explain that "MFPA's Online Shop is a department of MFPA Publishing Limited and is a trading company of Mouth and Foot Painting Artists". I obtained the Annual Return of MFPA Publishing Limited, a UK registered company which describes its business as "Printing not elsewhere classified", and a copy of its latest accounts from Companies House. These showed the following:

- MFPA Publishing Limited files its accounts as a small company, which means that only basic information is given. The company had elected not to file its profit and loss account, which it is perfectly entitled to do, but unfortunately this means that it is difficult to get a picture of the company's overall financial activities. It did file a balance sheet, which shows that, at the last balance sheet date of 30 June 2014, there was a balance of shareholders' funds of £37,589. No bank account or cash is shown on the balance sheet.

- There are two directors of the company: firstly, a Mr. Heinz Frederick Abletshauser, a German who lives in London and was born in 1936 so he must be 79 years old now, who was appointed a director of the company in 1992; and secondly Fiona Elfie Lascelles, a British national who lives in Surrey and was appointed three years ago.

- There are 3000 ordinary shares of £1 each, of which 30 are owned by Mr. Heinz Frederick Abletshauser. The other 99% are owned by Vereinigung der mund und fussmalenden Künstler in aller Welt, E.V. (VDMFK), which loosely-translated means "The Association of Mouth and Foot Painting Artists Around The World".

2. Mr. Heinz Frederick Abletshauser is a director of one other company in the UK: Fine Art Distribution Company Limited. He is the sole director and sole shareholder. Just like MFPA Publishing Limited, this company gives its business as "Printing not elsewhere classified", but unlike MFPA Publishing Limited its balance sheet shows a bank account, and it had £965,905 in it as at the last balance sheet date of 30 June 2014.

I then found that, according to their website, VDMFK has its headquarters in Liechtenstein, which has a reputation as a secretive tax haven. There you can find the Director Mario Famlonga, who joined the company a few years ago. In his own words, "Over the past 20 years, I’ve worked in various capacities for international banks. Most recently, I was working as the director of a leading private bank, advising wealthy clients". Apparently, Mr. Famlonga previously worked for UBS. I had assumed that the organisation would have few taxable profits because all its profits were being ploughed back into helping disabled artists, so why the direction of an international banker in Liechstenstein??

I had previously thought that this organisation gave help and support to aspiring foot and mouth painters, whether they were any good or not, on the basis that they would find it therapeutic and beneficial. However, the numbers they give on their websites are quite small, so I now wonder if they mainly help the talented artists: the UK website says that they have 32 British artists, and the global website of VDMFK says they have 815 artists in 78 countries around the world.

There are lots of questions here, to which there are no doubt proper answers. However, for me the lack of charitable status is decisive and so I have written to the company to ask them to take me off their books and not send me any further material.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had previously thought that this organisation gave help and support to aspiring foot and mouth painters, whether they were any good or not, on the basis that they would find it therapeutic and beneficial. However, the numbers they give on their websites are quite small, so I now wonder if they mainly help the talented artists: the UK website says that they have 32 British artists, and the global website of VDMFK says they have 815 artists in 78 countries around the world.

There are lots of questions here, to which there are no doubt proper answers. However, for me the lack of charitable status is decisive and so I have written to the company to ask them to take me off their books and not send me any further material.

It isn't a charity because it's a self-help organisation of people who are talented enough to produce saleable artwork despite having to paint using their mouths or feet.

Good luck to them for making a go of a business rather than relying on benefits and charity donations.

There's plenty of information about the organisation on the website - http://www.mfpa.uk/about-mfpa/

I don't like their marketing policy of sending out unsolicited mailings but it obviously works for them or they wouldn't have kept doing it for years.
  • Janet_Wilson
    Options
    It appears that I need to develop the point that I was trying to make. To me, the words "Liechtenstein headquarters" and "international banker" do not sit easily with the interests of a self-help group of mouth and foot painting artists, and it seems that I have reason. Here are the last few paragraphs of the Wikipedia entry given at the top of this forum in the post of Budgie123, which reports that whereas the organisation states that 80% of the profits go to the artists they declined to produce the records to prove it, and the company lost a Danish libel case in 2007 where journalists made statements such as:"Behind the scenes we found a well-oiled money making machine with economic puppeteers, who are scraping in money with arms and legs", "People think they are supporting a charity, but in reality we are looking at a money making machine" and "...only a measly 3% is going to the mouth and foot painting artists". AMFPA has not appealed the decision.

Extract from Wikipedia entry:

The criticism includes:

- That AMFPA effectively poses as a charity organization although it is purely a commercial venture, in effect conning charitable people out of money.
    - That high salaries, favourable loans and property lease contracts are given to AMFPA's long-time legal adviser Herbert Batliner, his friends and family and other lawyers employed at the AMFPA. Herbert Batliner retired in 2013.
    - That funds are being diverted to unknown parties via a network of "mailbox" companies.
    - The secrecy maintained by the company.

No claims have been made suggesting any illegal activity by AMFPA. The criticism has been centered on what is perceived as bad ethics.

AMFPAs responds to the criticism

The AMFPA has in some news reports and court hearings responded to some of the claims, stating that AMFPA has never intentionally presented itself as a charitable organization, but instead has explicitly pointed its commercial nature out to consumers. AMFPA has also stated that 80% of the world wide profits are distributed among the artist. AMFPA declined to present financial records to support this claim.

Litigation

In June 2007 the company sued Danish Broadcasting Corporation and Danish daily Ekstra Bladet for libel after negative coverage during December 2005. On October 10, 2008 the High Court of Eastern Denmark ruled in favor of the accused journalists, stating that there was sufficient factual basis for statements like: "Behind the scenes we found a well-oiled money making machine with economic puppeteers, who are scraping in money with arms and legs", "People think they are supporting a charity, but in reality we are looking at a money making machine" and "...only a measly 3% is going to the mouth and foot painting artists". AMFPA has not appealed the decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure