Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• luscious_peach
    Options
    Costco is excellent. They currently have some special offers on food in a couple of stores: Liverpool, Oldham, Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Chester, Cardiff and Croydon. Each week has different offers.
    From tomorrow (20/4) there is £1.50 off a twin pack of chicken (3.4kg) which is normally just under £7, £2 off Aberdeen Angus burgers (£6.99 per kg), £1 off gala apples 2kg, £1 off the delicious lemon drizzle cake (I think normally £3) and £1 per kg off the beef/veg lasagne.

Meat is excellent quality, you won't be disappointed.
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Summer01 wrote: »
    Hi, I only ever buy the Kirkland washing powder now - it lasts ages

thanks summer01 seemed a lot of washes for your money says works out at 3.5p a wash :D shall get some next time i'm by
  • Louisa_Jane_2
    Options
    Costco is excellent. They currently have some special offers on food in a couple of stores: Liverpool, Oldham, Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Chester, Cardiff and Croydon. Each week has different offers.
    From tomorrow (20/4) there is £1.50 off a twin pack of chicken (3.4kg) which is normally just under £7, £2 off Aberdeen Angus burgers (£6.99 per kg), £1 off gala apples 2kg, £1 off the delicious lemon drizzle cake (I think normally £3) and £1 per kg off the beef/veg lasagne.

Meat is excellent quality, you won't be disappointed.
    Those burgers are delicious - you'll never want to try a different burger after eating them!
  • BLUis
    BLUis Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know if they have any offers on the LCD TVs at the moment? We want a small (about 19") for the kitchen

(ps im a member at Derby)

thanks
    Married the absolute love of my life on Sunday May 6th and I couldnt be happier!!!
  • middy60
    middy60 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    hi been to makro and got these two great offers 18 pacl triple value bogof 8.50 plus vat and 168 fariy washing tabs for 9.25 plus vat the fariy was with a 5 pounds discount voucher giving out when going in,plus we got one of them steam genartor irons for 39.99 plus vat then went into comet and asda and the same one was 89.99
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    Have been a Costco member for several years now and get best value when planning a party or BBQ, look out for their special offers on beers and wine, always good value.

My favourite buy is their giant chocolate fudge cake which I decorate at home for birthdays etc. You can easily get 20 servings out of it and then some! :D Also their pecan pie is melt-in-the-mouth delicious and not something you see in supermarkets (apart from frozen versions) very often so well worth trying. I also have bought their party platters where they make up sandwishes, bagels etc to order, although its best to order in advance as they tend to get snapped up. Good time-saver if you need to cater for lots of people.

My OH takes a Mars to work every day and a pack of 48 works out to about 25p per bar. I also (like other posters) get all my washing powder, dishwasher tabs from there as it works out about 1/3rd cheaper than supermarkets. We also get packs of 24 coke & diet coke tins (again saving about a 1/3). I also get packs of Brita water filters which are about 20% cheaper.

I find their clothes a bit of an odd fit - but that might just be me! ;)

Also consider their tyre bay. It's a bit of a faff cos you have to buy the tyres in the main warehouse yourself then take them to the fitting bay and book in to get them fitted on your car, and at weekends the wait can be up to 3 hours, but my OH swears they are good value for money of you have the time to wait.

If possible, avoid Costco at weekends as most of the local population seems to end up in there. The queues can be horrendous. Luckily we have trade membership so can go in the mornings weekdays which are quieter. I've never bought any electronics from there as they never seem to have the brands or models that I'm interested in.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Happydaze
    Happydaze Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I have both Costco & Makro membership & although Makro is much closer, I can't remember the last time I visited ........the quality is so much better at Costco.

Like other posts the chicken fillets and other meat from the butchery dept are superb, not so keen on the fresh salmon as I don't think it tastes very fresh. The fresh chorizo sausage are fab although pricier than B4.

Bakewell Tarts are a must(and they freeze well) Kids love the fruit nuggets (chewy sweets) and the frozen chicken nuggets are the best I've tasted (100% chicken)

I haven't used the washing powder as I prefer liquid and haven't seen the liquid in my store. Is it Kirkland brand dishwasher tablets that people buy too?

I have noticed that just like everywhere else Costco are putting their prices up but I still think its good value if you can stick to what you need and not be tempted by all the "try B4 u buy" samples.

The cafe is always our final stop before we head home - great value hotdogs, pizz slices & baked potatoes.

Its worth getting a day pass to have a wander round and then decide if you want to take out a membership - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    From Costco the Muffins are huge and delish also the Danishes are a must. The fresh meat is very good quality, but I am not sure it is that cheap. Anybody that has a current membership could you find out how much the Tefal Actifry is as we have let our membership lapse and they won't tell us how much they are to work out if it is worth re joining - We let it lapse to save our waistlines from the Danishes!
  • jo91
    jo91 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    Costco sausages are the dog's ....well, kind of !! They taste fab - really meaty and 95% pork (no dog mentioned on the ingredients)! £4.75 for 1.2kg and they are so good that they do not shrink like other cheap nasty ones. We luv 'em
  • jo91
    jo91 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    ..and just remembered, their milk is cheap - got 3.4 litres Wisemans semi skimmed for £1.47 - am now swapping for my Cravendale at approx £1.65 for 2 litres :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure