Options

Comments

• JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mariner99 wrote: »
    Hi JDPower,

I think you have missed the point here. NOWHERE in any of Martins advice recashback sites does it mention that they sometimes inflate prices.

I think this is a new development or maybe we just took them at face value as customer champions and didn't think they would scam us.

Martin says find the cheapest then buy it via a cashback site. What he doesn't say is to be careful that the cashback site might be a different price to the direct price.

People should be warned and MSE et al should expose the cashback scam.
    It's certainly not a new development, some insurance sites have used this tactic for a while. You're ire at the cashback sites is misplaced though, they simply supply a referral link, if the end site uses that referral link as a sign to inflate the price you are then given it is them you should be angry at. And if anything it gives you a clear sign of companies with poor attitude to it's customers.

I do agree though it is worth a note in the original article for those unaware.
  • mariner99
    Options
    JDPower wrote: »
    It's certainly not a new development, some insurance sites have used this tactic for a while. You're ire at the cashback sites is misplaced though, they simply supply a referral link, if the end site uses that referral link as a sign to inflate the price you are then given it is them you should be angry at. And if anything it gives you a clear sign of companies with poor attitude to it's customers.

I do agree though it is worth a note in the original article for those unaware.

JDPower - you are right but you are also VERY wrong. TCB for example always reply to complaints that the price you pay via their links is the same as if you go direct.

Now most of us now know this is not the case so TCB are lying to us in order to make money.

There is nothing wrong with making money but deceiving us and being downright dishonest is not really fair play.
  • ernie-money
    Options
    I was just having a read of this thread as I was considering switching cashback site after recent disappointments. I used to use Quidco, and was mainly happy with them, but due to the £5 annual fee, and also cashback rates often being higher on TCB, I switched to them.
    I have however found that they quite often don't pay out as promised, and although I realise that cashback isn't ever guaranteed, I'm sure some sites must be more reliable than others? If Quidco is better at paying out, perhaps it's worth paying the annual fee..?

Someone here mentioned getpoundsback - does anyone else know much about them?

And the constant issue of getting claims declined because "another channel was credited with the sale" - what's that all about?
    Surely if it was true, then they should be able to tell you which channel this was, so that you can asses whether you are doing something wrong..? Although this should be impossible if you clear cookies before clicking through..?
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2013 at 1:58PM
    Options
    I

Someone here mentioned getpoundsback - does anyone else know much about them?

If anyone fancies a test offer - this was 50.00 in October and paid within 2 months on both the 100% sites who at the time were the only sites running the offer - :)

http://www.getpoundsback.co.uk/stores.php?search=1&keyword=moneyvista&keyword_type=1&x=22&y=7 30.00

http://www.imutual.co.uk/search?q=moneyvista&x=1&y=10 30.00

http://www.cashbackxtreme.co.uk/search.asp?query=moneyvista&go=Search 15.00

http://loyaltyshopper.co.uk/content/view/2960/34/ 15.00

From memory required valid contactable email address, name and DOB :)

Leads are pre-paid by the merchant to the network so as long as it tracks is 99.99999999 % certain to pay :beer:
  • Btty
    Options
    Sorry but can't find out how to post a new forum topic!
    Wanted to know if individuals need to declare cashback for a tax return in the UK or USA
    I have received several hundreds of pounds
    Thanks.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 January 2013 at 1:35PM
    Options
    Btty wrote: »
    Sorry but can't find out how to post a new forum topic!
    Wanted to know if individuals need to declare cashback for a tax return in the UK or USA
    I have received several hundreds of pounds
    Thanks.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4147103&highlight=cashback+taxable

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=37342296&highlight=cashback+taxable#post37342296

Cashback is generally regarded as being a reward for,,,,,,,,,, and thus not liable for tax :)
  • Btty
    Options
    Thanks - I suppose if the original purchase is being made by a company that would be taxable, if not unethical?
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just joined imutual. I have been using quidco and TCB for quite sometime. I regularly shop online and tried imutual for a purchase with debenhams. Neither quidco or TCB had any trouble with the transaction tracking, usually within a couple of hours.
    It has been a week and the transaction hasn't tracked on imutual. I know I have to wait 14 days before I can claim, but if this is the average time that it takes to track then I would rather stick with TCB and quidco. I made an additional purchase 2 days ago and that hasn't tracked yet either. Just wondered if worth sticking with imutual a bit longer, are the shares worth it
  • imutual_company_representative
    imutual_company_representative Posts: 90 Organisation Representative
    edited 9 February 2013 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Hi Louise,

All cashback sites generally use the same underlying tracking technology (provided by third party "affiliate networks") so, all things being equal, there should be no difference between us in this respect.

If it turns out that your transaction hasn't tracked in this instance, it's likely that this would also have been the case had you used another site (even noting your comment that you'd not had a problem in the past)

I'd offer the following by way of reassurance...

Firstly, you can submit a claim for a missing transaction at any time using the form at http://www.imutual.co.uk/claims - it's a very quick process if you have the transaction details to hand (order number and order value). Normally, we'd ask you to wait a minimum time before claiming (typically 14 days) but if it's sooner that this, your claim will be treated as "provisional".

We'll send this off to the merchant and ask you to allow up to 80 days for a resolution; quite a long time, I know, but some merchants won't go any faster than this :( As soon as we get a resolution from them, we update your account

We publish stats every month on how well we're doing with claims and, as you can see here we currently have none overdue, which is quite typical for us :)

In the event that the merchant rejects your claim, we offer one final option unique to imutual: you can "appeal" and, in an open poll on our forum, we ask your fellow members to decide whether we should honour the cashback out of our own pocket. Since the site started back in 2010, only two such appeals have been rejected

I hope this answers your question and gives you some confidence to keep faith with imutual :wave:

Rich
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of imutual. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • rellarips
    Options
    I just joined imutual. I have been using quidco and TCB for quite sometime. I regularly shop online and tried imutual for a purchase with debenhams. Neither quidco or TCB had any trouble with the transaction tracking, usually within a couple of hours.
    It has been a week and the transaction hasn't tracked on imutual. I know I have to wait 14 days before I can claim, but if this is the average time that it takes to track then I would rather stick with TCB and quidco. I made an additional purchase 2 days ago and that hasn't tracked yet either. Just wondered if worth sticking with imutual a bit longer, are the shares worth it

I smell a rat with Debenhams and cashback. I made two seperate purchases in December via Quidco and they were declined. After raising a claim they were again declined a few days ago saying that either I had returned the items or the orders were cancelled. Not true; both purchases are still in my possession and both are well used.

There was an interesting review, the most recent one, from someone on the Debenhams page at Quidco; they had experienced the exact same issue.

I suspect that some things that don't track and others that get declined are the 'fault' of the companies and not the cashback companies. In the three years I've used cashback (which was just Quidco until recently), I am stunned at just how much cashback has been declined or hasn't tracked (then been declined) for untrue reasons (e.g. using a promo code from another site when I hadn't, visiting another cashback site first that none of my household were even a member of then, orders returned, ordered cancelled etc etc etc). One company (xtras online) swore blind in an email to me that I had visited an affiliate site before them and they'd therefore 'given the cashback to them'. I'd never heard of that website, never visited it, no-one else uses my personal computer, and I cannot see how xtras worked that one out. But there you go, it shows how easily companies can doctor things to suit themselves when having to pay out in another direction.

I think that the CB companies have to work hard for what they get for us, and I think that if certain companies can get out of shelling out, they will.

We should just have the honest companies using the cashback sites and they should dump the ones who are poor at paying out, it's a dishonest practice and it's the cashback companies reputations that ultimately suffer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback