Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• Sephs
    Sephs Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I tip if I've had a good meal and the staff have been pleasant and helpful, unless it's a self-serve restaurant (such as a carvery where you go up and get your food yourself). I aim for 10% but I have given more when the service has been particularly great.
  • imavillan
    Options
    I only tip on the criteria of good service, friendly service, good food, good overall experience.

If these boxes are ticked i will then ask the waiter/ress if the tips go directly to the staff or the ''business'' distributes them out, ie; makes up the wages with them. If this is the case i will not tip, other than being discrete and making sure it goes in the pocket of the person serving me.

I cannot abide these places that use the tips to make up the wages of the staff. Indeed, once i know they do this i will not go back to the establishment.

Its wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Distributing tips as part of the payroll ensures the correct amount of income tax is paid!
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I tip for good service. I will ask for the service charge to be removed and then pay what I would like to pay.

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course, I tip especially if the service and food are great.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Distributing tips as part of the payroll ensures the correct amount of income tax is paid!

Don't really care! I want my tip to go to who I want or its not worth brothering. I always give it to my server in cash. What they do after that is up to them.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Don't really care! I want my tip to go to who I want or its not worth brothering. I always give it to my server in cash. What they do after that is up to them.

You're in favour of tax evasion then?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    You're in favour of tax evasion then?

I care more all the big companies pay before some young person on minimum wage. When they all do I may reconsider.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I care more all the big companies pay before some young person on minimum wage. When they all do I may reconsider.

Good for you .... my thoughts exactly
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

So what big companies are taking part in tax evasion (which is illegally not paying the correct amount of tax) and have not payed what they owe?.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback