help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    NGM wrote: »
    I have been following this forum (and others like it as I often do) and have been gradually getting more frustrated. I do not normally respond as I am sure, with many businesses, things can go wrong but when the tone changed to the firm deliberately does things falsely, I thought I would put my side of story as this was not our experience. Following advice from this firm, my mother gifted her house along with some investments into Trust as she wanted to protect them for her children (of which I am one) and her grandchildren. Unfortunately, years later, mum was taken ill and ended up in residential care where she later died. Universal were the acting trustee and dealt with the administration of the trusts very efficiently and as the assets were protected in trust they were appointed out to myself and my brother in accordance with my mother’s wishes. In fact, I was so pleased with the advice and service provided to my mum, I have now instructed them to do the same for my estate.

Good to hear your positive feedback and recommendation.

You say that you've been 'following this forum (and others like it as I often do) and have been gradually getting more frustrated' and that's presumably why you felt strongly enough to sign up with MSE only today to make your views felt.
  • Elijah_Bailey
    Elijah_Bailey Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Hello NGM,

Did you know your username initials sounds just like a firm of London tax lawyers. What a coincidence....you have to laugh.

I look forward to your future posts dispelling the myths about Universal Wealth protection trust.

You are so welcome to the forum.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, why was the post from the Universal Wealth representative earlier this morning removed? It looked like a useful response.

Was it removed by the poster, or was it removed by MSE as unauthorised?
  • Elijah_Bailey
    Options
    It is a shame the post was removed as I am sure it boosted the google ranking.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I didn't see it but they do need to be authorised to post and this is a thread that MSE are watching so it wouldn't surprise me if it got removed.

Hopefully they will get authorised and post again as I would much rather a company defends themselves here than resorting to lawyers. Lawyers should be a last resort IMO.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would agree with Reaper.

Most of the response on this thread are in discussion form based on the comments on the very first post on the thread. Threatening people with allegations of libel etc when the posts are nothing of the sort is not a way to behave. You could get far more respect by posting clarifications and explanations.

If someone says something you disagree with then reply saying you disagree and this is why....

Over the years, I have been threatened by many companies via the site. MSE Investigator must think "not another one" when he sees my name. What is fairly consistent is that the companies that threaten tend to be the dodgy ones. The ones that have something to hide. Many of them have later gone on to be confirmed as scams or doing something dodgy or have gone under taking money with them. The genuine firms tend to say nothing or add clarification or information to show different.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    I'm now following this thread with rather more than the usual interest after the events of the last few days - and I very much doubt I'm the only one feeling that way.

The credibility of moneysavingexpert.com is at stake here - provided that none of the comments are genuinely defamatory. If they are, they should be removed. If not, they should stand. There's an important principle at stake here, and what MSE says about itself is highly relevant:

MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK's biggest consumer website, with about 15 million users a month. The site's dedicated to cutting your bills and fighting your corner with journalistic research, cutting-edge tools and a massive community – all focused on finding deals, saving cash and campaigning for financial justice.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To be fair to MSE it is time consuming to check every post that has been complained about, and expensive if they have to employ lawyers to check the claim or defend themselves in court. It would be very easy for them to simply delete every controversial post (and some companies no doubt try it on hoping that is what they will do) so respect to them for leaving them up and taking the time to work through them, and contact every poster.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    I didn't see it but they do need to be authorised to post and this is a thread that MSE are watching so it wouldn't surprise me if it got removed.

Hopefully they will get authorised and post again as I would much rather a company defends themselves here than resorting to lawyers. Lawyers should be a last resort IMO.
    In my experience "Lawyers" in this type of context tend to be a letter from a firm that is used for encouraging posts to be removed rather than someone who has been actively consulted about the merits or otherwise of a case.

You only need to see some of the other sections of the site for how companies do it properly with authorised accounts and trying to resolve issues raised. When lawyers letters get involved in the past it has indicated something that the company wanted to remain hidden.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    There's an important principle at stake here, and what MSE says about itself is highly relevant:

MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK's biggest consumer website, with about 15 million users a month. The site's dedicated to cutting your bills and fighting your corner with journalistic research, cutting-edge tools and a massive community – all focused on finding deals, saving cash and campaigning for financial justice.
    Although I agree with your earlier comments about leaving stuff that isn't defamatory, I disagree that your highlighted quote is relevant to this - there's a big difference between putting your name to research by employed journalists under your direct control and being held liable for uninformed comments from anyone and everyone who chooses to spout off on a public and unmoderated forum.

Given the clear distinction between the editorial side of the site and the forum, other more relevant quotes would be
    We can be liable for what you post. When you post something, not only are you liable for what you say, but we can become liable too as the host. So it's not a case of posting what you like, and we can delete posts if needed. Of course, our aim is to ensure legitimate information about saving money or fighting for consumer rights stays.
    and
    Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure